By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Monday, Jan. 02 2006

IRVING, TEXAS He still uses the word "if" when discussing Mike
    Martz's future with the Rams. But Torry Holt realizes that barring an
    exceedingly unlikely turn of events, he'll be playing for a different head
    coach next season.

"If they decide to go in another direction it'll be disappointing for me
    because of the amount of respect I have for Coach Martz and what he's taught
    me," Holt said. "A lot of my game and what I've learned comes from him:
    learning how to get open, learning details, learning how to take my profession
    serious. I owe a lot of that to Coach Martz."

Holt, a rangy wide receiver out of North Carolina State, was the team's
    first-round draft choice in 1999, the year that Martz returned to the Rams as
    offensive coordinator. "The Greatest Show on Turf" was an immediate hit, and
    the high-powered Rams rolled to an improbable Super Bowl championship a year
    after finishing 4-12.

Martz was promoted two days later, after Dick Vermeil retired. That's also when
    Holt's career shifted into high gear. He caught 82 passes for 1,635 yards and
    earned the first of his five Pro Bowl berths.

Holt, 29, hasn't failed to top 1,300 yards in a season since then: He needed
    just 9 yards in Sunday night's regular-season finale against Dallas to reach
    that total again, and he got them on a 14-yard catch early in the second
    quarter. He had four catches for 40 yards in the Rams' 20-10 victory over the
    Cowboys.

Quarterback Marc Bulger, who missed the final six games of the season with a
    shoulder injury, said Martz's exit - which is expected to be announced today -
    will be a relief of sorts.

"I think it's gotten to a point now where we've known for two months, and when
    it comes to reality, it might be best for both sides," Bulger said. "He'll have
    another opportunity somewhere, and we'll have a definitive head coach now. With
    everything that's gone on, I think a whole lot of questions will be answered."

Veteran tackle Orlando Pace said Martz's impact on the explosive Rams attacks
    in recent years won't soon be forgotten. "It'll be different," Pace said.
    "We'll just have to adapt to another offense."

But, Pace noted, business is business. "I've been around this league for a long
    time and I understand that certain things happen," he said. "Guys can't be in
    one place forever. So we just have to move on and try to win a championship."

Said defensive lineman Tyoka Jackson: "It's a tough deal. This thing has been
    ... kind of crescending to that, so it wouldn't be the most shocking event. But
    it's going to be weird if, in fact, he's not working for the Rams organization
    because of what he's been able to accomplish since he's been here."

Jackson added a note of warning for those fans who would welcome Martz's
    dismissal. "I caution the St. Louis community: Be careful what you wish for,
    because you might not like what you get," he said. "So, we'll see what happens."

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Holt laments probable departure of Martz

Whomever the new HC is, I hope he puts John Shaw at the center position of the Rams OL for a few games.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith

Tyoka Jackson added a note of warning for those fans who would welcome Martz's
    because you might not like what you get," he said. "So, we'll see what happens.
    That is very true, we shall see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    The backhanded compliments about Austin Davis are amusing.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I definitely agree with the sentiment of Jackson. Everyone expecting the Rams to be successful as they were may be waiting for a long time.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

So do I , I still believe we have enough of quaitly players to make a run at it ...

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    I definitely agree with the sentiment of Jackson. Everyone expecting the Rams to be successful as they were may be waiting for a long time.
    Totally agree, there were a few of us expressing exactly the same sentiment a couple of weeks back. Whilst I'm hoping that we'll land a good young (in HC terms) candidate with a record of progression I wouldn't expect him to light the place up immediately.

2 seasons at best.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I think with the talent on the team, a good coach can mold things into shape rather quickly. Qb, rb, wr, the o-line likely being better with the youngsters having gametime under their belts. The offense will still have to carry the team, but it's not farfetched to think the team will have success.

Just about any other defensive coordinator will be an improvement over Marmie so I don't think the Rams are in as bad of shape as their 5-11 mark would indicate.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Jackson added a note of warning for those fans who would welcome Martz's
    because you might not like what you get," he said. "So, we'll see what happens."
    Oh, what does Jackson know? He's only a player. He doesn't have the understanding that we Internet forum posters have. :drunk: .....and yes, I am being sarcastic.

Sincerely, as any Rams fan does, I hope the new coach comes in from day 1, clicks with all the players, and brings us nothing but wins ASAP. However, I see us going through an adjustment period that may linger for a while. Whoever the new coach is, he will not run a system like Martz, and it may take time to match personnel with strategy.

I just hope that all those who are so quick to kick Martz to the curb and slow to recognize what he accomplished with this team will understand that the new coach will need time to transition.

I hope I'm wrong, but 2008 may be our next meaningful season.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I just hope that all those who are so quick to kick Martz to the curb and slow to recognize what he accomplished with this team will understand that the new coach will need time to transition.
    I don't think the decision to remove Martz was "quick" at all. He was head coach since 2000 and executed the "5-year plan" in the wrong direction. He took a 13-3 Super Bowl Champion and turned it into a 5-11 Same ol' Rams team.

The Rams haven't had a winning record in three years now and haven't shown any improvement in that time. That's why a coach get's fired in the NFL. If the team doesn't show improvement and is actually getting worse, they generally don't keep their job.

Now, I'm not laying it all on Martz, but ultimately the head coach is going to be responsible for a team's demise. Shaw's never going to fire himself and the Rams have been through a multitude of players and coaches and nothing's changing for the better. Martz was given every inch of rope he needed to hang himself. All of his guys were brought in to support him in his coaching and it didn't help.

Martz's approach is well past the point of stale at Rams Park and it was simply time for a change. The offense, Martz's speciality, wasn't anything special much less carrying the team. The defense wasn't any better--no, it was bad. Just like in 2000...and 2002...and 2004. Have the special team's "ever" been decent under Martz? I mean, if he's ignoring these units I could understand but I thought he'd been focusing on fixing them the past few years?

Well, none of this is news to anyone but I very much disagree that this was "quick" in coming. This was Martz's ultimatum year. Make or break. Sink or swim. Well, they didn't swim and I think the boat caught fire before they even got into the water.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    He took a 13-3 Super Bowl Champion and turned it into a 5-11 Same ol' Rams team.
    Hey don't short change us we were 6-10 :tongue: LOL

Also who knows how we would have done with Martz this season, we only had him for 5 games.

Quote Originally Posted by mok
    I don't think the decision to remove Martz was "quick" at all.
    Yes, Mok, good points all. However, I wasn't referring to Shaw and the FO, I was referring to the fans that have wanted to see Martz gone for some time. They were VERY quick to call for his head, since 2002 for the most part, and the demotion of Warner at the latest. Either way, these are the "quick" triggered people I'm talking about. They tend to forget that Martz built this chariot that they claim he drove the wheels off of.

They're getting what they want.....so be it. I'm simply asking for a little patience with the next coach during the transition time. We won't be winning the super bowl next year, in fact, we probably won't see the playoffs until 2008 at best, but I'm afraid these same fans that called for Martz' head will be calling for the new head as well.

We're in it for the long haul, and that is exactly what it will take for this team to get through a transition and have a shot at the playoffs.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I think Ram fans are kidding themselves if they think that the new coach will come in and turn this thing around in 1 season. If it happens then thats great, but don't expect it to happen, and don't call for the new coaches head after one season.

I think the Anti-Martz people are in for a shock, I hope it's a good shock but most likely not a good shock.

I think Ram fans are kidding themselves if they think that the new coach will come in and turn this thing around in 1 season. If it happens then thats great, but don't expect it to happen, and don't call for the new coaches head after one season.
    I'm not "expecting" the new coach to turn things around quickly but I think there's enough in place for the new coach to have early success. I would be a happy camper if Saunders miraculously came aboard. I don't think he will, but I'd love to see KC's offense in St. Louis. A healthy qb, a dominant running game, etc. The defense may not improve if all else is equal but I'll take a better offense and better special teams.
    I'm simply asking for a little patience with the next coach during the transition time. We won't be winning the super bowl next year, in fact, we probably won't see the playoffs until 2008 at best
    I'm not sure where all this perceived impatience is coming from. I think a lot of people expected a lot of Martz but that was because he inherited a lot. Over the last three years, he's been slipping.
    Hey don't short change us we were 6-10
    Whoops, for some reason I forgot that we won the Dallas game.
    Also who knows how we would have done with Martz this season, we only had him for 5 games.
    I think the results wouldn't have been too different. Losing Bulger is such a huge blow to this offense that I can see maybe a game better than what we were but not much of a difference through the course of the season. Heck, I could see things even worse if Martz had been coaching since he might have stuck with Fitzpatrick. After Martin's injury and Fitzpatrick's unexplained quick success really hurt the team's overall record. I think Martin would have picked up at least 1 more win rather than Fitz. In any case, I think this season was destined to produce a 7-9/6-10 team. Again, Martz was 7-9 and 8-8 the previous two years so without Bulger and all the other injuries this year I think the team finshed about right.

Quote Originally Posted by mok
    I'm not sure where all this perceived impatience is coming from. I think a lot of people expected a lot of Martz but that was because he inherited a lot. Over the last three years, he's been slipping.
    Again we find ourselves at the crossroads of Martz' production vs. fan expectations, as well as, Martz' "inheritance" vs. Martz' "product". I'm sure we could argue forever on this, but instead, Mok, I invite you to jump over to this thread, and tell me, how you see the Rams......if Martz were never here at all.....kind of a "It's a Wonderful Life" with a Rams twist to it.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Quarterback Marc Bulger, who missed the final six games of the season with a
    shoulder injury, said Martz's exit - which is expected to be announced today -
    will be a relief of sorts.

"I think it's gotten to a point now where we've known for two months, and when
    it comes to reality, it might be best for both sides," Bulger said. "He'll have
    another opportunity somewhere, and we'll have a definitive head coach now. With
    everything that's gone on, I think a whole lot of questions will be answered."

Veteran tackle Orlando Pace said Martz's impact on the explosive Rams attacks
    in recent years won't soon be forgotten. "It'll be different," Pace said.
    "We'll just have to adapt to another offense."

But, Pace noted, business is business. "I've been around this league for a long
    time and I understand that certain things happen," he said. "Guys can't be in
    one place forever. So we just have to move on and try to win a championship."

."
    Hmmm....arent these guys ALSO players?? And these two are players who have worked far more DIRECTLY with Martz than Jackson has...to be SURE. I dont get it...they seem far more AT EASE and ACCEPTING than a certain group of "informed internet posters" here who feel the Rams will never win again and the sky has certainly fallen. Very bizarre indeed.

If your boy Ol Rainy is such a coveted football commodity it sure is a SECRET virtually everywhere but HERE(this site). Ive listened to Minneapolis(regional) sports talk radio for the last 2 days....they have poured over their coaching vacancy AD NAUSEUM. Not ONE PERSON...ZERO...have discussed how they thought Mike Martz could come in and HELP their club. Ive heard nearly every coordinator and coach(college/pro) prospect in the country mentioned and discussed over and over...Martz clearly isnt coveted by ANYONE in this region. The Rams CRUSHED the Vikings more than once under Martz too as I recall...yet he does NOTHING to warrant even a discussion compared to the myriad of other re-hashed and un-proven choices...gaudy record and all. Again, hmmmmm.