throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Holt to make a decision on having knee surgery

Could cost him a spot in the Pro Bowl
    BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat
    ST. LOUIS - St. Louis Rams wide receiver Torry Holt must decide in the next couple of days whether to have surgery on his knee.

Holt said he planned to soon meet with team medical personnel to talk about his injury.

"I haven't seen a doctor yet," Holt said. "I haven't gotten any MRIs or exams yet. I plan on doing that. I have a lot of stuff that I have to make some decisions about fairly quick."

Holt was bothered by his sore knee over the final two weeks of the season. He was even held out of a few practices.

Holt had a similar problem with the same knee last season. He thinks the injury might require arthroscopic surgery, but not major surgery.

"By having an injury like this before, I would say it's cartilage," Holt said. "I don't think it's anything that is going to end me. I think it's going to take some minor things to punch a couple of holes in there and straighten some things out and let me get back to playing football. I'm looking forward to making a decision, whatever it may be, and relaxing and enjoying '07 with some drinks and few cigars and just hanging out."

Holt probably won't be hanging out at the 2007 Pro Bowl if he has surgery.

"It's a possibility," Holt said. "I haven't come to that conclusion yet. I haven't talked to my family, and I haven't talked to (head trainer) Jim (Anderson) and coach to see what is best."

Holt was second in the NFC in receptions with 93 and fourth in the NFC in receiving yards with 1,188. He had his string of seven straight seasons with 1,300 or more receiving yards snapped, and he had some uncharacteristic dropped passes.

"I thought I played well," Holt said. "I had some opportunities that I missed that I don't miss. It's rare. I can count them on my fingers the number of opportunities that I blow, and statistically people could say that I didn't match what I did last year, and I didn't. But in other areas of my game, I felt like I got better. I got better as a leader. I got better as a blocker on the field. I got better in situations thanks to Coach (Scott) Linehan. Overall, looking at my game. I think I've gotten better. I think I've grown. I didn't take any steps back."

Holt said he was looking forward to the 2007 season after the Rams won three straight games to close out the 2006 season.

"I'm really excited about how we finished as a football team," Holt said. "Obviously, you're hoping it gives you some momentum, some carry over into the offseason and into the new season. I think it's going to be a very good '07. We all should have something to smile about."

Holt said the reason the Rams went on the winning streak was that several young players stepped up.

"Some guys stepped up who had some question marks about whether they could play football," Holt said. "Even a guy like (center Brett) Romberg played very well and put himself in a position to be back here next year."

Holt said quarterback Marc Bulger calling out unnamed teammates for not caring enough about winning also was a factor in the strong finish.

"I think it woke us up," Holt said. "I think it got our attention. I know it got my attention. I think since he said that, I played better. I think everybody felt his comments and made something happen. It's one thing to feel it and agree with it, and another thing to apply it. That was real smart on Marc's part. That's what leaders do."

Linehan said the Rams suffered no significant injuries in their season finale against the Minnesota Vikings, but there are some players other than Holt with medical issues heading into the offseason.

Right tackle Alex Barron also has a cartilage problem with a knee, and it'll require surgery.

Linebacker Dexter Coakley was scheduled to undergo surgery to have a metal plate taken out of his ankle on Tuesday afternoon.

Linehan said fullback Paul Smith, who missed the team's final three games due to a neck injury will undergo further evaluation.

"Those are the things that are going to be addressed here right away, so it doesn't keep them out of the offseason (training) program or things like that," Linehan said

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Holt to make a decision on having knee surgery

As one who's had his knee scoped, I hope Holt does go ahead and get the knee cleaned up. He'll feel 100% better and be ready to go long before training camp.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Re: Holt to make a decision on having knee surgery

As long as Torry is ready to rock in september we will all be happy!! I am really pleased to hear how our guys are all very positive about next year and where we are as a ball-club..Hope we have a good off-season,pick up a few good FA's and take the positive outlook into next year..:l