RamWraith is offline Registered User

Holt: Martz was a tough coach

Some interesting comments for you to chew on.

February 1, 2006
    BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

St. Louis wide receiver Torry Holt thinks former Rams coach Mike Martz would be a good fit as Lions offensive coordinator. Holt said he had talked about it with Lions safety Terrence Holt, his brother, and Lions cornerback Dre' Bly, his buddy.

Martz was scheduled to interview Tuesday with new Lions coach Rod Marinelli. The Lions will not confirm or deny reports about their coaching situation, but they announced that Marinelli would be available to the media today.

"If he comes here, the city of Detroit and the Detroit Lions will be very fortunate to have somebody like Coach Martz," Holt told WXYT-AM (1270) while working at Super Bowl XL Media Day for the NFL Network. "They will be in for a rude awakening.

"And I don't mean rude awakening in a bad way. I mean rude awakening as far as the standard and the bar that he has set for an offensive group. ... For this guy, you have to make plays every single down. He'll tear you down and rebuild you to prominence.

"With his presence, you can't BS him. You just can't get off-page and do what you want to do because he's seen the best, he's produced the best. I think a lot of the Lions will be very humbled with his presence."

gap Guest

Re: Holt: Martz was a tough coach

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Some interesting comments for you to chew on.

February 1, 2006
    BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

<snip>

"And I don't mean rude awakening in a bad way. I mean rude awakening as far as the standard and the bar that he has set for an offensive group. ... For this guy, you have to make plays every single down. He'll tear you down and rebuild you to prominence.

"With his presence, you can't BS him. You just can't get off-page and do what you want to do because he's seen the best, he's produced the best. I think a lot of the Lions will be very humbled with his presence."
    If they aren't humbled, they'll be in the doghouse or trade bait.

gap

bigredman Guest

If the Lions don't hire Martz as OC, they are crazy. I didn't care for him as a HC, but as an OC, there's nobody better (although the OC for Pittsburgh has impressed the hell out of me this year, especially in the playoffs.)

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

He's a great coach.

If he takes the job their offence will improve immediately. Martz vis Haslett II when the lions come to town!

SFCRamFan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    He's a great coach.

If he takes the job their offence will improve immediately. Martz vis Haslett II when the lions come to town!
    That will be fun...

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Some team (Lions) will be fortunate enough to have Martz as OC which is an absolute steal, and will set the league on fire points wise. The Lions have a good nucleus other than Harrington and could be an exciting team to watch with Martz calling plays.

Marc Bulger will be league MVP next year with Linehan calling plays

majorram is offline Registered User

If the Lions sign Martz it will be their best signing in their histroy!!!

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Well, as much as I like Martz, and as great as the offense has been, I just don't equate "Tough Coach" with Mike Martz.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

live4ramin is offline Registered User

You're right on 68. That's my deal with MM. His teams never came out of camp prepared. Always prone to miscues and injuries and never spent much time with fundamentals. He could have made his teams deeper off the bench with better coaching I think.
    "The horror"

bigredman Guest

Well, is it any wonder the Lions waller in mediocrity? Martz wanted 1.5 Million salary and the Lions broke off talks to bring him in as OC. Amazing.