Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Revelstoke Guest

Exclamation Holt Overrated???

WOW!

ESPN, thought you guys might like to see this one.

This is the second in a series of articles about overrated and underrated players. The rankings are based primarily on the 2006 metrics. This week's topic is overrated and underrated wide receivers.

Overrated wide receivers:
    Honorable mention

Torry Holt: He is one of my all-time favorite wide receivers, but his 7.5 YPA and 55.9 success percentage were his worst numbers in the four years I've been doing this. He also didn't deserve a starting spot in the Pro Bowl.
    Link: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...lid%3dtab4pos1

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Re: Holt Overrated???

This sort of crap makes me laugh, Torry Holt has been one of the best WR's of recent times yet never gets his due. To say he is overrated is nonsense, he infact is way underrated!!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

That analysis is strictly by the stats on a year-to-year basis. Statistically, Holt did have a down year in 2006. That doesn't mean he shouldn't have been in the Pro Bowl or is overrated as a player, though.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

To put so much emphasis on "yards per attempt" for a wide receiver is simply not understandable. Literally, receivers are being punished for QBs mistakes. Not to mention, receivers do not dictate their routes. If their route is designed for a quick 3-5 yards, that's the route they run.

Just my opinion, but I think his measuring stick is off.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

prof22693 is offline Registered User

he did drop down in production this year, but was battling knee injury. Not to mention after the first game against seattle, teams would just double cover him all day. personally he's underrated since he's not such a loudmouth and doenst get the attention c. johnson, owens, moss, etc. get. I think Holt will have just as many yards than Harrison when he's done; Harrison has played three more years than Holt with just over 3,000 yards more, so he's on par with him in that respect, the main criticism I here about him is inability to score in the redzone, but that's not his problem but had alot to do with how our team did there (in the past). But i think our new additions will help us out there now. Those analysts can't forget we had a guy by the name of Marshall Faulk a little while ago getting most of the TDs, and many more offensive weapons.
    Last edited by prof22693; -06-21-2007 at 06:49 PM.

Revelstoke Guest

HUB, I'm with you here, using stats to determine over/under rated only paints half a picture.

You can't really measure impact with a yards per attempt stat, nor does that stat tell you how many of those 3-5 yard catches kept drives alive, or the clock running.

And it certainly doesnt illustrate his importance to the team, or the game.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

These are simply guys who don't have anything better to do. By definition, overrated would be someone who doesn't have the production to merit the constant praise they get. Holt never gets any praise from the media, so how can he be overrated? Secondly Marvin Harrison's production was down this year. Does that mean he is overrated?

Holt over the past 7 years has had the best yardage production of any receiver to play the game, including Jerry Rice himself. Holt has had to problem of not being the best player on his team, such as Rice was on his. Holt had to play behind Marshall, and share the ball with a receiver of equal value in Bruce. With Players such as Harrison, Owens, Rice, Chad Johnson. They are or have been the best players on their team. Two other receivers who might suffer from this would be Fitzgerald and Boldin. Only because they are of equal value, as receivers. You take one of them away from that team, and you can throw either of them into that mix. The same with Holt.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I wanna know where the stat is for juggling the ball while running and avoiding the defender to score the touchdown is. That is why stats shouldn't be used solely as your basis of who is good and who isn't. Stats don't show things like that, or how by catching a 3rd and inches you kept the drive alive. That should be how a player is determined. Not just on the stats, but more so emphasize what he does on the field.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

How could I describe that analysis...?

Asinine?

Inane?

Why, I believe its... ASINANE!

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Youngsters, take note: This 'reporter' is a perfect example why you should stay in school and work hard. Obviously, he did not.

He also didn't deserve a starting spot in the natonal media.

Keenum is offline Registered User

How in the crap can you be overrated when you are actually a very UNDERrated WR? Holt is way better than T.O., yet because T.O. is butthole, he gets all of the attention. Excuse Holt for being a class act and not trying to get all of the attention.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Keenum that's what you get when you're a good guy I guess. Hey, it doesn't matter, he's Torry Holt and he's going to do what he always does on Sundays, get them TDs. So I couldn't careless what people say about him. We all know he's one of the best out there, pay no attention to such....I don't even know the word for that one..

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I didn't read the article, but the whole thing is debunked if TO is not the most overrated. By definition the most overrated receiver should be the one with the most drops unless that guy's a rookie. Also when you get more attention off the field than on it, you are overrated. I love Chad Johnson because of his dances and gimmicks, but he is vastly overrated because of himself.

Also, yes, the yards per attempt is bogus because while it supposedly balances out between passing teams/primary receivers and running teams/secondary receivers but it really doesn't because as it's been pointed out, receivers don't pick their routes and also it doesn't take into account double/triple teams as well as something that's most crucial to any position. Heart. Anyone who says that TO's or Johnson's or Moss' or a whole ton of guys' hearts are bigger than Torry's is plain wrong. Holt loves the game, is a student of the game and will do everything he can do to bring in every single ball(please see that best reception of the year if not century last year).

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

Nothing surprises me anymore in relation to so called "expert" analysis. As many of you guys have previously mentioned, Holt is arguably the most underated reciever in the league. This stuff makes me sick!
    As always.....

GO RAMS!!!

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Saying something for its own sake leads to remarks like that.

If anything he's been underrated as the media focuses it's sycophancy on the 'bad boys' of the receiver community. As much as that can be diverting, it tends to elevate people with high opinion of themselves and ignore those who 'just do it'. Torry is the latter.

And I'd agree with HUb, yards per catch isn't a determinant of ability in itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast