Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Holt/Pace Comments

Rams WR Torry Holt

May 10, 2008

(On his off-season)

“It has been good man. It has been pleasant and relaxing. I have just been catching up with my family and friends. I have just been taking it easy.”

(On if he has spent more time home in North Carolina than usual this off-season)

“No, I have spent all of my time here. I have just been here relaxing and just taking it easy, doing a lot of reading. I have been taking care myself and getting ready for the season.”

(On how his knee feels this year as opposed to last year)

“It is a lot better than it was last year at this time, which is good. I’ve been training with (Strength and Conditioning Coach) Dana LeDuc this past week getting myself ready. It is a lot better than it was last year at this time so that is promising for me.”

(On WR Donnie Avery)

“Right now I don’t have any impressions of Donnie Avery. He has to just keep going. I don’t really have any impression of him right now. Obviously he has some quick twitch fibers, which is really good. He wants to be good. Hopefully during training camp he will show me something.”

(On having Offensive Coordinator Al Saunders back)

“It is good to have Al. He came in with instant energy. He has put an emphasis on resetting the standard of the way we play offense here, which is really good. What is really good to see is that a lot of the guys are buying into what he is trying to get accomplished which is good for us. We are starting the right direction. Obviously, we have a long way to go, but guys are really taking heed to what he is saying and doing out there and actually trying to get done what he wants them to get done as an offensive unit.”

(On things being different without WR Isaac Bruce)

“It is man. It is really different. You could always count on Isaac to come in and be ready to roll and be ready for the season. Not to see his locker and not to see him out there on the football field and not to see him in the stretching and the drills, period. He is always the one in the front of the line and getting things going, so it is definitely different and is going to take some getting used to. The guys who are here now have an opportunity to step up and get some things done and hopefully they can step up and do it.”

(On if his off-season preparation is on schedule)

“I’m pretty much on the same schedule as always. I just came back from the Pro Bowl, so I wanted to take some rest. Since I had the surgery last year, I went right to rehab, then played 16 (games) and then went over and played in the Pro Bowl, so I just wanted to step back and get some rest, not only for my knee but for my overall body. From a mental standpoint, I just wanted to relax and get away from the building and get away from football for a while so I can come back with a fresh mind and give the guys and my teammates what it is they need to go out there and try to win some more games this year and try to get our first playoff berth in a while. Everything is pretty much on schedule.”

(On if he is going to step up more as a leader with Isaac Bruce gone)

“I am the same guy. I am not going to try and step up and be more than I am. I am going to lean on my teammates for them to lead me as well. At times if I have to step up and be vocal or step up and showcase the leadership role, I will do that. I am not going to try and go out and be than what I am. I am not going to exhaust myself like that. I am just not going to do that. I am just going to allow Drew (Bennett) and (Randy) McMichael and Marc (Bulger) and Steven (Jackson) and the guys on the defensive side of the ball with Corey (Chavous), La’Roi (Glover) and Leonard (Little) and let those guys continue to be leaders as well. I will continue to do what I have done ever since I got here, which is play my role and speak when I need to speak and be needed when I am needed.”

(On QB Trent Green)

“Trent’s leadership is outstanding. When guys out there on the field aren’t doing things correctly, he is one of the first ones over there to put them in the direction, so having him back in the building is a spark for us as well.”

(On the story behind the rumor that he might finish his career in Carolina)

“The real story is that I have this year and next year and hopefully I can finish those years out. Then I will see where I am at. I will see where I am at physically and emotionally and financially. Then, if they would like to do something here I will consider it. If not, then I will have the option to go and explore and give my services somewhere else. If that happens, Carolina will definitely be my first choice. There is no question about it. I have 2008 and 2009 left to play and that is what I plan on doing.”

(On having spent his entire career with one team and the prospects of finishing his career in St. Louis)

“I am fortunate and excited. I welcome that and I am pretty sure that there are guys before me who have welcomed that. It doesn’t always work that way. I am going to take it year by year. I know for sure, hopefully, I have this year, so I am going to play this year and then I’ll see how things go and go from there.”

Rams T Orlando Pace

May 10, 2008

(On if he is limited right now in practice)

“Yes I am. I’m just going through some individual (drills) and that type of thing. I’m just getting back in the swing of things, hitting bags, I guess.”

(On if he feels he is on schedule)

“I think so. I am just trying to strengthen my shoulder and get it even stronger. I want to get it back to where it was or even stronger than that and be ready for training camp.”

(On if he will be ready for training camp)

“Hopefully I’ll be ready for training camp, but who knows. We will see what the doctors say and what the coaches say and what we think and we will go from there.”

(On if he would be upset if could not get back until three weeks into camp)

“I would not complain about that. Just to get back into the swing of things, I am sure I will be doing something, but I’m not sure what it will be.”

(On having a hunger to get back in the swing of things after being injured)

“Last year was a rough year. When you are in your 12th year, you kind of get used to things, but not when you have been injured for the past year and a half or so. The way I felt going into last season, I had a different desire and a different hunger and a different purpose for playing. I feel that same way this year.”

(On having Offensive Coordinator Al Saunders back)

“It feels pretty good. I think Al brings a different excitement to our offense and to the building. Every time you see him, he is positive and upbeat and he is ready to go. To have that type of energy surrounding us is great and I think guys really attach to that. I think we are going to be fine this year.”

(On not having WR Isaac Bruce around this year)

“It’s tough man. We were locker buddies. Not seeing Isaac here during mini-camp is a different situation. We wish him the best other than those two weeks when we play him and I’m sure we are still good friends so I will try to talk with him.”

(On who took over Isaac’s old locker)

“Caldwell. Reche Caldwell is in that locker now.”

(On if Torry Holt needs to step up more and be even more of a leader with Isaac gone)

“The funny part about it is that Torry was always, vocally, the leader. I think everyone leaned toward Isaac as an example. Isaac never said a whole lot as you know, but Torry has always been that vocal leader and guys have always looked up to him for that leadership role. I think Torry is that guy.”

(On DE Chris Long getting a bye by not going against him)

“He is. He is out there working though. I have been taking a look at him and I think he will help us out big time this year.”

(On how the rookie offensive linemen are doing)

“One of them brought me a breakfast sandwich this morning, so from that standpoint I think they are doing pretty good. I think they will be fine. Right now is kind of a tough time since their heads are swimming with so much information and some many different things they are implementing into the offense. I have been there before and I know how it is. I think they will be fine.”

(On if he cares about the timing of mini-camp being now or later)

“It doesn’t really matter to me. After you have been doing this for so long, it is all the same to me.”

(On if he knew much about G Jacob Bell before Jacob joined the Rams)

No, I didn’t know much about Jacob. I watched him a few times but I didn’t know a whole lot about him. I know he made me feel old during his press conference when he said he watched me as a kid at Ohio State (University). That is about it.”

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Holt/Pace Comments

Good stuff. Thanks for posting Wraith

Torry and Orlando are good to go and Al has the respect of the players already.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mooselini is offline Registered User

As mentioned thanks for posting that.

I really hope Holt retires as a Ram. We can't have both of our star wide receivers elsewhere. That would be heart breaking...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    (On if he is going to step up more as a leader with Isaac Bruce gone)

“I am the same guy. I am not going to try and step up and be more than I am. I am going to lean on my teammates for them to lead me as well. At times if I have to step up and be vocal or step up and showcase the leadership role, I will do that. I am not going to try and go out and be than what I am. I am not going to exhaust myself like that. I am just not going to do that. I am just going to allow Drew (Bennett) and (Randy) McMichael and Marc (Bulger) and Steven (Jackson) and the guys on the defensive side of the ball with Corey (Chavous), La’Roi (Glover) and Leonard (Little) and let those guys continue to be leaders as well. I will continue to do what I have done ever since I got here, which is play my role and speak when I need to speak and be needed when I am needed.”
    This is an odd quote. He's going to lean on the other guys? He doesn't want to exhaust himself? I understand that he's already a leader in the locker room, but he just sounds...tired. It's like he's saying he'll help out if someone asks him for help, but there's no enthusiasm behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    (On the story behind the rumor that he might finish his career in Carolina)

“The real story is that I have this year and next year and hopefully I can finish those years out. Then I will see where I am at. I will see where I am at physically and emotionally and financially. Then, if they would like to do something here I will consider it. If not, then I will have the option to go and explore and give my services somewhere else. If that happens, Carolina will definitely be my first choice. There is no question about it. I have 2008 and 2009 left to play and that is what I plan on doing.”

(On having spent his entire career with one team and the prospects of finishing his career in St. Louis)

“I am fortunate and excited. I welcome that and I am pretty sure that there are guys before me who have welcomed that. It doesn’t always work that way. I am going to take it year by year. I know for sure, hopefully, I have this year, so I am going to play this year and then I’ll see how things go and go from there.”
    Again, it sounds like he's looking to the end of his time here. Like he only has to last two more years, and then he'll start considering more options. Maybe I'm imagining it, but it seems like there's a lot of "just two more years" in his quotes these days, and "we'll see where I'm at emotionally". There doesn't seem to be much of a sense of things he'd still like to accomplish with this team. I get the sense of a guy who may be feeling his era has passed.

St.Louis Ram 56 is offline Registered User

I agree with Moose, It was just a jolt when I heard of Bruce going to the Forty-ninerzzz, ARGUHH of all places, That was as earth Shattering as Loosing Grant Wistrom to the Seahawks..I so hope Holt will be a Retired Ram when the time comes,,I still think he is healthy enough to ply 6 more..with The Rams;''

READY TO ROCK 2008 DIVISIONAL CHAMPIONS MINIMUM!!!

Cheerz Baby

union jack rammer is offline Registered User

Holt is just making sure that mgt. knows his displeasure at their lack of loyalty towards Bruce.

RealRam is offline Registered User

So far, so good. It is of course an embryonic set of comments by two of our Rams veterans. There is so much is left to accomplish. // Enjoyed the read.

And... Welcome to the Clan Union Jack Rammer!

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    This is an odd quote. He's going to lean on the other guys? He doesn't want to exhaust himself? I understand that he's already a leader in the locker room, but he just sounds...tired. It's like he's saying he'll help out if someone asks him for help, but there's no enthusiasm behind it.

Again, it sounds like he's looking to the end of his time here. Like he only has to last two more years, and then he'll start considering more options. Maybe I'm imagining it, but it seems like there's a lot of "just two more years" in his quotes these days, and "we'll see where I'm at emotionally". There doesn't seem to be much of a sense of things he'd still like to accomplish with this team. I get the sense of a guy who may be feeling his era has passed.
    I agree on both comments. I was thinking how strange and disconnected the comments sounded. He really does sound like he's not real pleased with this organization. Now maybe it's just the fact that these are written words, and we can't hear his voice. However, I don't feel a sense of any real energy or excitement coming from our #1 WR. I certainly hope he hasn't already checked out. Of course winning cures a lot. He just sounds like many people that I know that are just punching in and out of their 9 to 5 jobs.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

(On how the rookie offensive linemen are doing)

“One of them brought me a breakfast sandwich this morning, so from that standpoint I think they are doing pretty good"
    this made me laugh for some reason

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I agree with the consensus that Holt sounds a little tired of being here and not as enthusiastic as you'd hope. It's probably due to numerous reasons.

His arguments with Linehan, maybe not buying into the scheme so much after all the failures (though Saunders should help with that concern).

The fact that they canned Isaac is clearly a reason too - when asked about playing for one team his whole career he talks about how other people wanted that too and it didn't work out i.e Bruce wanted to be a Ram but got cut.

Part of it is probably his knee and the general wear and tear on his body that is starting to catch up with him.

All in all, it seems to me Holt is saying (somewhat diplomatically as always) he'll likely be out of here when he gets the chance (i.e when his contract expires in 2 years). Maybe he'll change his mind if the franchise can turn it around and start winning. I just hope Steven Jackson isn't thinking along those same lines, because his contract is up after this year and if he wants to go somewhere else we are really going to be in trouble. Success breeds success as they say, and the same goes for failure.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Holt is saying all the right things. He just isn't real excited at the moment and I don't blame him. I think Linehan has been hard to work with and losing Bruce is going to be difficult for many players, but especially difficult for the receivers. Hopefully Al Saunders and Henry Ellard will be able to get some excitement going with them and maybe Avery or Burton will bring some new positive energy into the receiver group.

It is not over with Holt, but he has had a tough year and it is showing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Those of you voicing concern about Holt's comments, answer me this: why should he say anything different? Has Torry Holt ever taken off a play? Not that I have seen. Holt has given his all to this organization and has been compensated for it. Period.

Some of us forget that this is a business first and a sport second. Torry Holt wasn't born with a St. Louis Rams contract in one hand and a rattle in the other. He's making a saavy business move by staying non-committal and for that I applaud him.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think Holt's comments are simply indicative of a guy who was surprised to see Isaac Bruce cut, and from that standpoint, he simply isn't sure about anything when it comes to the future. So he's saying what he knows, which is that he'll be here for the rest of his contract. After that, it'll be reapproached. I don't necessarily see that as a guy who is ready to get out of town when his contract expires but rather a guy who just isn't sure about anyone's status anymore after he watched Isaac get cut and go elsewhere.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I agree Nick, I don't think Holt knows if he will be able to play after two more years or want too. I think in two years if he can play, the Rams have to be close to a real shot at a ring. If we are still a mess why stay.
    Last edited by Rambos; -05-12-2008 at 02:15 PM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I feel the same way Nick. The most important thing about the NFL today is making money. This leads almost all of the franchises to have absolutely no loyalty to the players who play for them. Case in point, Issac Bruce. Why should players have to be loyal to the teams that employ them? I feel they should feel loyal to the paying, adoring (notice the order) fans who buy their jerseys and watch them play, which in turn, pays their salaries, but that's because the fans have loyalties to them. When there's no loyalty from your employer, you don't need to be loyal to them.

That said, I think it's inexcusable what Chad Johnson is doing in Cinci. There's a line between looking out for yourself and what he's doing. He griped before, and the Bengals were loyal because of what he'd done for them, so they gave him a new contract. Now he has four years remaining and wants more money and/or out? That's very far past the line of reason. Thank goodness that Holt is nothing like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast