RamWraith is offline Registered User

Holt plans to play with pain

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/14/2005

Turf toe has kept Isaac Bruce out for two games - both losses - and he's listed as doubtful for Monday night's contest at Indianapolis. To make matters worse for the Rams, fellow first-team wideout Torry Holt said Friday that his bruised right knee is only "about 60 percent" healed.

But Holt was quick to explain that his estimate was a bit misleading. "I wish I could say I was 80, 85, 90 percent. But at this point, I don't know if anybody is," he said. "That's just the NFL, the toughness of this game. Everybody's banged up, but you have to fight through that."

Holt was listed as questionable on Friday's injury report, which according to the league formula means there's only a 50-50 chance that he'll suit up Monday. But even though he hasn't practiced this week, Holt insisted that his prospects are much better, especially with an extra day to mend.

"I expect to play," he said. "All this time that I'm getting off is good. It's giving me an opportunity to heal up and rest. I feel like I'll be ready."

Holt hobbled to the sideline midway through the third quarter of Sunday's 37-31 loss to Seattle at the Edward Jones Dome. But he returned and caught two passes in the final period.

"During the course of the game, your adrenaline is going, so you're able to put the injury aside," he said. "On Monday, it kind of swelled up on me. I got some treatment, and some of the swelling has gone down. Right now, things are looking pretty good."

An MRI showed no structural damage. Holt is leading the league in catches (38) and receiving yards (568). At that pace, he would finish the regular season with 121 catches and 1,817 yards. Both would be career highs for the seventh- year pro out of North Carolina State.

Incognito hopesto start practicing

Rookie offensive lineman Richie Incognito said that if he receives medical clearance Tuesday, he expects to practice for the first time Wednesday. Incognito, a third- round draft choice, has been recovering from a knee injury that he suffered last spring.

"It's got me real excited," Incognito said. "I'm really looking forward to getting back out there."

Incognito signed a four-year contract Sept. 29 and was placed on the non-football injury-reserve list. That meant he could practice no sooner than the start of Week 7. After Incognito's first practice, the team will have three weeks to decide whether to activate him or put him on injured reserve.

Willig gets some ink

Offensive tackle Matt Willig and the German family crest that he sports on his upper left arm are pictured in the current issue of Sports Illustrated. Tight end Jeremy Shockey of the New York Giants and wide receiver Sam Aiken of the Buffalo Bills also are included in the short feature on NFL players who have distinctive tattoos.

"That's pretty good 'pub' for a guy who isn't doing anything," quipped Willig, who backs up perennial Pro Bowler Orlando Pace on the left side.

Ram-blings

Starting cornerback Travis Fisher missed practice Friday because of illness. ... Defensive end Dwight Freeney, who has five sacks, was added the Colts' injury list with a rib injury. He was listed as probable. ... Blaine Saipaia's tenure as a tight end lasted only a week. With Brandon Manumaleuna apparently recovered from a knee injury and expected to play Monday, Saipaia is back on the offensive line - and back in his No. 60 jersey after wearing No. 49 last week.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Re: Holt plans to play with pain

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Coats
    Holt said:
    "That's just the NFL, the toughness of this game. Everybody's banged up, but you have to fight through that."
    I've never cared much for the "dive for five" approach, but that's not the issue here.

He played a game of character last week and that shouldn't go unrecognized. Couple that with the fact that he seems to look bigger (upper body strength) this year and I think he is exhibiting a toughness that helps define leadership.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Re: Holt plans to play with pain

Yep we are gonna need him and Ike real soon!