throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Holt says offense is on right track

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Wednesday, Aug. 23 2006

For the first time in his eight-year NFL career, Rams wide receiver Torry Holt
    is operating in an offense designed by someone other than Mike Martz. It's an
    offense that hasn't produced a first-team touchdown through the first two
    exhibition games.

Rather than grouse about the good ol' days, though, Holt is urging patience.
    After all, he noted, the No. 1 unit has been on the field for a total of just
    seven series. Plus, it's not as if it hasn't moved the ball; only one
    possession was a three-and-out.

"We'd like to score every time we get the football," said Holt, a five-time Pro
    Bowler. "In the past couple of games that hasn't been the case, but we have
    been doing a pretty good job as far as meeting some of our goals as an
    offensive unit."

Among those aspirations are "explosive plays," defined by the new coaching
    staff as passes of at least 16 yards and runs of at least 12 yards. Their goal
    is eight per game, and they produced exactly that many vs. both Indianapolis
    and Houston.

"We just haven't been able to execute" in the red zone, Holt said. "But we're
    not going to point fingers or twist anybody's arm. We're just going to continue
    to work and try to make things happen this week. If we could go out against a
    good Kansas City team on the road and put some points up, that'd definitely
    give us some momentum."

Whether Holt suits up Saturday for the annual Governor's Cup game at Arrowhead
    Stadium remains undetermined. On Tuesday, he skipped practice for the second
    day while the bruised sternum that he suffered against the Texans mends.

"In the regular season, there's a little more sense of urgency because there's
    more at stake," Holt said. "Right now, it's the preseason. You want to win
    every game, but at the same time ... you have to get ready for the regular
    season."

The differences between the offensive schemes of past and present are minor,
    Holt said.

"There's nothing dramatic about it at all. I think you have two great
    offensive-minded guys in Coach Martz and Coach (Scott) Linehan," he said.
    Linehan has "implemented his offense, and we've done a good job of learning it
    and applying it. We just haven't been able to punch the ball in."

Jackson aches

Running back Steven Jackson assured that the heel pain curbing his workload at
    practice this week isn't a serious malady.

"The doctor told me from the two-a-days and all of the poundings I was taking,
    I was a little fatigued," he said Tuesday. "He said it's from the hard cuts I
    tend to make that were kind of irritating it. Once we get into the regular
    schedule of the season and I get the rest I need during the week, I'll be fine.
    Right now, I'm about 90 percent."

Tackle Orlando Pace (ankle, knee, hip) and defensive end Leonard Little (thigh)
    also were limited Tuesday. Guard Claude Terrell (wrist) and fullback Madison
    Hedgecock (ankle) remained on the sideline.

Plans for Little

A fixture at left end the past four years, Little will be on the move this
    season if new defensive coordinator Jim Haslett has his way.

"We're trying to use Leonard in different ways if we can, move him around,"
    Haslett said. "He's been on the left side his whole life. I think at 265 pounds
    he's better made for the right side -- defensive end or outside linebacker,
    however we use him.

"We didn't do it last week because of the injury. We'd like to get there at
    some point, whenever he gets healthy."

Ram-blings

Cornerback Jerametrius Butler missed Tuesday's practice to be with his wife,
    Maria, who was expecting their third child. ... The Rams lead the Governor's
    Cup series 5-3. ... The Chiefs have dropped both their exhibition games, 24-14
    to Houston and 17-0 to the New York Giants.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: Holt says offense is on right track

"We just haven't been able to execute" in the red zone, Holt said
    That's a hold over problem from the past two seasons. I hope they are able to put it in the end zone this week. With all the talent on the offense, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to come away with points when they get in the red zone.

The Chiefs D hasn't looked too good so far this preseason; I would expect our 1st team offense to put some points on the board.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Well, this is good to hear from Holt, especially from him. He's one of our biggest weapons on offense. So, I'll take his word for it, hopefully Bulger is getting his act together.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

jkramsfan Guest

your right ramman,we need to score touchdowns this season not field goals,our defense is inproved but not good enough that will can drive down the field and then bog down in the red zone,we may have to out score some teams this year and you cant do that with field goals.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I believe the reason we "bogged down" in the red-zone in past years is because of the type of offense that Mad Mike Martz created. The wide-open, "Greatest Show on Earth" was spectacular to watch, and was designed to spread out the defense and force the opponent to cover too much field. Great, but when you get inside the red-zone, the field shrinks and the offense suddenly "bogs down". Gaps in zone defenses shrink, and the single element that made the offense so explosive is gone.

If early indications are true, and I'm speaking about the draft, personnel changes and early preseason play calling, I believe that Linehan's offense will solve the red-zone issue. By using the TE's more and by having a powerful running game, I think we'll see a vast improvement in red-zone scoring, despite what you've seen so far in two preseason games.

In fact, I predict that the Rams will be a top-5 team in red-zone scoring this year. Save the tape, mark it down, you heard it here first. :r

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Interesting matchup for the Chiefs game....

Hargrove vs Turley...

Trent Green will be on the run.......

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

By using the TE's more and by having a powerful running game, I think we'll see a vast improvement in red-zone scoring, despite what you've seen so far in two preseason games.
    That is going to be the difference RFRH. I suspect this is the reason the coach is looking for more depth at RB. They need to be able to pound the ball when they're in the red zone.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey