RamWraith is offline Registered User

Holt on sideline blow-up

Holt talks to the media on Fridays at Rams Park... today he was asked about the sideline eruption at Linehan in the final seconds of the loss to the Steelers:
    From Bernie--

“It was just a situation where I was venting some frustration. It may not have been the appropriate place to do it, but it is what it is. We talked about it at the end of the game. He spoke his peace and I spoke mine and that was it. We moved on to this week and talked a little bit about some X’s and O’s and now we’ve prepared all week to get ready for Arizona and that’s where we are. As far as I’m concerned, that’s put to bed.”

(On what in particular he was frustrated about):

“I’m frustrated with the same things everyone else is. That’s numerous reasons and I was just expressing that. Again, it may not have been the proper stage, but it is what is and you move on.”

(On if the offense needs to be repaired):

“That’s up to Coach and the guys upstairs. I’m totaling oblivious to what’s going on. All I do is show up every year and try to live up to my end of the bargain by being in shape and going out and trying to play at a high level to help us win. As far as an overhaul and what they need to do and what they need to improve, you probably need to ask them what direction and what they’re going to do to get this thing turned around.”

(On how much input veteran players have in the offense over the course of a season):

“I think the input is there. I think we have input at any time we want to have input. The input, at some point, has to be put to use and that’s totally up to the coaching staff – when and where they want to do that. As far as them allowing us to give some input, I think that’s clearly there.”

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: Holt on sideline blow-up

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Holt talks to the media on Fridays at Rams Park... today he was asked about the sideline eruption at Linehan in the final seconds of the loss to the Steelers:
    From Bernie--

“It was just a situation where I was venting some frustration. It may not have been the appropriate place to do it, but it is what it is. We talked about it at the end of the game. He spoke his peace and I spoke mine and that was it. We moved on to this week and talked a little bit about some X’s and O’s and now we’ve prepared all week to get ready for Arizona and that’s where we are. As far as I’m concerned, that’s put to bed.”

(On what in particular he was frustrated about):

“I’m frustrated with the same things everyone else is. That’s numerous reasons and I was just expressing that. Again, it may not have been the proper stage, but it is what is and you move on.”

(On if the offense needs to be repaired):

“That’s up to Coach and the guys upstairs. I’m totaling oblivious to what’s going on. All I do is show up every year and try to live up to my end of the bargain by being in shape and going out and trying to play at a high level to help us win. As far as an overhaul and what they need to do and what they need to improve, you probably need to ask them what direction and what they’re going to do to get this thing turned around.”

(On how much input veteran players have in the offense over the course of a season):

“I think the input is there. I think we have input at any time we want to have input. The input, at some point, has to be put to use and that’s totally up to the coaching staff – when and where they want to do that. As far as them allowing us to give some input, I think that’s clearly there.”
    I'd say a lot of Holts comments are not exaclty a ringing endorsement for Losehan. Like Holt saying that the input at some point needs to be put to use. They are aloud to give input but it seems as though Holt is saying it isnt being used. It also doesnt seem like Holt is having regret for what he did he just said he did it on the wrong stage. To me Losehan has lost Holt, all these years Holt has been here and there have been some bad ones he has never NEVER exploded once like this. If Losehan has lost Holt I wonder who else he has lost?
    Just Fix It

RealRam is offline Registered User

:\ Very interesting interview to say the least (except for it coming from 'Bernie'). I'll leave it at that for now, must leave.

Rammiser, good observations BTW.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

That was an extremely diplomatic non-endorsement of Linehan, if you ask me. Holt is clearly not a big fan of Linehan, but understands that he can't impact the situation and must make the best of it. The fact that it took him a week to give this statement also speaks volumes to me.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That was an extremely diplomatic non-endorsement of Linehan, if you ask me. Holt is clearly not a big fan of Linehan, but understands that he can't impact the situation and must make the best of it. The fact that it took him a week to give this statement also speaks volumes to me.
    I know we've been lead to believe Linehan will be back for 2008 but I'm not so sure now. Holt is a very level headed, respectful and respected player. His responses to the questions really have me concerned as far as Linehan's future goes. I'm not saying I agree with it but the handwriting seems to be on the wall no matter what the front office is saying.

Torry just faxed me his SLOP membership application.

mdram is offline Registered User

What scares me is that we might be stuck with Lineham for next year. If Georgia is on the brink and ownership could change hands, it would be difficult to get a quality person in here under those circumstances. The hope would be that lineham has a brain in his head and could turn things around. He might have been given a gift with the ownership situation

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mdram View Post
    What scares me is that we might be stuck with Lineham for next year. If Georgia is on the brink and ownership could change hands, it would be difficult to get a quality person in here under those circumstances. The hope would be that lineham has a brain in his head and could turn things around. He might have been given a gift with the ownership situation
    I think you are 100% right on this ,if not for Georgia's illness and therefore the possible sale,Linehan would be history.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I agree that this wasn't a ringing endorsement by any means, but I also don't think the relationship is damaged beyond repair. It sounds to me like Holt is laying down the gauntlet and telling Linehan that he needs to do what it takes to turn things around. Holt made his point and now it's up to Linehan to learn from it and get back on track in 2008.

This situation looks very similar to what went on between Bruce and Vermeil when the team was losing and frustrations were mounting. If those two could kiss and make up after a very public fued, so can Holt and Linehan. Winning some games and being competitive will go a long way in making everybody happy.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

It's very diplomatically spoken (as usual when it's Holt) so it's hard to really see what he thinks based on this, my opinion of the incident hasn't really changed in either direction. It's certainly not an endorsement but it's not further critique either, he feels like he has said what needed to be said on the field. I agree with r8rh8rmike:

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I agree that this wasn't a ringing endorsement by any means, but I also don't think the relationship is damaged beyond repair. It sounds to me like Holt is laying down the gauntlet and telling Linehan that he needs to do what it takes to turn things around. Holt made his point and now it's up to Linehan to learn from it and get back on track in 2008.
    Holt is not satisfied with Linehan so far but I agree that winning would undoutedly cure a lot. That's about it.

Edit: Hmm, this was written before I saw this - that's far far worse comments than the ones in this article.
    Last edited by RamOfDenmark; -12-28-2007 at 11:24 PM. Reason: New story appeared - the one I linked to

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    Edit: Hmm, this was written before I saw this - that's far far worse comments than the ones in this article.
    Holt certainly danced around the confidence question, bit I still think the door is open for a change of attitude if Linehan does the right things.

Give it up, Mike. Its fine to try to put a positive spin on things, but you've crossed the line into intellectual dishonesty. There is no analogy to be made between the Bruce/Vermiel and Holt/Linehan relationships. That is, not unless Linehan has the benefit of hiring an OC who will engineer three consecutive 500 point seasons after finding an NFL MVP on the scrap heap and trading for a future HOFer.

Seriously, dude. Who are you kidding now?

Rambos is offline Registered User

That is, not unless Linehan has the benefit of hiring an OC who will engineer three consecutive 500 point seasons after finding an NFL MVP on the scrap heap and trading for a future HOFer.
    Could happen Martz might be free after sunday...LOL

Give it up, Mike. Its fine to try to put a positive spin on things, but you've crossed the line into intellectual dishonesty. There is no analogy to be made between the Bruce/Vermiel and Holt/Linehan relationships. That is, not unless Linehan has the benefit of hiring an OC who will engineer three consecutive 500 point seasons after finding an NFL MVP on the scrap heap and trading for a future HOFer.

Seriously, dude. Who are you kidding now?
    Believe it or not Av, I'm still very much willing to give the situation one more year.

Gotta go, off to University of Phoenix Stadium to see the Rams thwart a non-losing Cardinal season!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Could happen Martz might be free after sunday...LOL
    Yeah Av, why can't Linehan use the same offensive genius that Vermiel used to get his super bowl? I'm all for it so long as Martz has no power over the draft. Martz is great... so long as all he does is call plays and groom QB's.