RamWraith is offline Registered User

Holt Still Thinks about Lost Super Bowl

Friday, October 24, 2008

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Every once in a while when he gets a free moment, Rams receiver Torry Holt can’t help but think about that fateful January day back in 2001 when his team narrowly missed an opportunity to win a second Super Bowl title in three years.

“I think about that occasionally when I am just sitting around or going through some old tapes or something,” Holt said. “I just think about how it would have been for the players and the organization if we would have won that Super Bowl. I think about the one we won that’s always great. But that one you lost is just always there. You can’t get rid of it. I think about it quite a bit.”

Perhaps that thought has crept into Holt’s mind more frequently this week as the Rams prepare to play the team that upset that Rams that day. Sunday’s game at New England will mark just the second time the teams have played since that Super Bowl meeting.

Plenty has happened since that day. The Patriots went on to win two more Super Bowls and appear in a third.

The Rams have gone through a pair of coaching changes including the addition of current coach Jim Haslett earlier this season.

But maybe more than anything, the tie that binds the Rams and Patriots is not only that Super Bowl game but also the controversy stemming from it.

Affectionately or annoyingly known as “Spygate,” a former Patriots video assistant claimed to have video of the Rams’ practices leading up to that Super Bowl contest.

After months of speculation and investigations, nothing much ever came of it and Holt says he didn’t think anything ever would or even should come from the allegations.

“I didn’t think they cheated,” Holt said. “I think they came out and they executed their game plan and they beat us. I didn’t look at it as they cheated. Even when that stuff came out I didn’t make too big of a deal out of it. I just took it as they were the better team on that particular day and we kind of got rollin’, but we got rollin’ late. It was a little bit too late but I don’t think they cheated or anything like that. Nothing like that came to my mind.”

Holt is just one of four players on that roster to still be in a Rams uniform, as he is joined by quarterback Marc Bulger, defensive end Leonard Little and left tackle Orlando Pace.

Of that group, only Bulger was not a major contributor since he was the team’s No. 3 signal caller.

That team was perhaps the best in franchise history with potential future Hall of Famers in Holt, Pace and Isaac Bruce as well as Marshall Faulk and Kurt Warner.

Holt says that loss bother him for many reasons, not the least of which is the perception that not winning that game could have an adverse affect on the chances to go to Canton of some of his teammates.

“I think it definitely would increase guys’ chances of making the Hall,” Holt said. “But I think still guys have had great careers so it’s still a possibility that the Hall could happen. But winning that second Super Bowl definitely would have propelled things. How I look at it, what are you remembered for in this league and that’s winning championships. And not only are those guys good players consistently but it also would have been said they won two championships. Enough said.”

JACKSON UPDATE: Running back Steven Jackson did progressively more during the week, getting some work in Friday’s practice and even taking a rep or two in the team portion.

That doesn’t necessarily mean he will play Sunday but the Rams are remaining optimistic.

“It will be a game day decision,” Haslett said. “He came out and was working. He took some limited reps. He doesn’t need a lot of reps because he knows everything. I don’t know. It’s probably 50/50.”

While Jackson’s status will depend almost entirely on how he feels Sunday, there are signs pointing toward his playing against the Patriots and the Rams are remaining optimistic that will be the case.

FACING A FAMILIAR FACE: Not many people will remember him but the man lining up across from Rams defensive end Leonard Little on Sunday will be a player that was with the Rams as recently as the preseason.

Because of an injury to starting right tackle Nick Kaczur, the Patriots have turned to little known Mark LeVoir to fill his place.

LeVoir actually finished the 2007 season on the Rams active roster but he was released in the final round of cuts and is generally considered a fringe player in the NFL.

Little says he’s not terribly familiar with LeVoir and is approaching him like he would just about any other opponent.

“I have never faced him in training camp,” Little said. “I don’t think so or I don’t remember. The only thing I can do is look at the film and see what I need to do to try to be successful but I never really faced him in training camp or anything like that.”

Still, this is one area the Rams should have a decided advantage, especially considering the recent productivity of Little.

HALL STEPS UP: Speaking of defensive linemen making an impact, perhaps no player is more vital to the Rams line than James Hall.

Hall has proved to be an effective and extremely versatile player capable of lining up at end to spell Little or Chris Long or step inside on passing downs.

With Adam Carriker likely out this week, the onus will again fall on Hall to provide some relief.

Hall had a sack and a half last week against the Cowboys and seems to be hitting his stride as a pass rusher now that he’s fully healthy.

“He’s never played left side, he’s never played inside, so it’s something new for an old dog, but the guy did a nice job,” Haslett said. “He’s feeling a little more comfortable with it every day and he had some power rushes inside, he did a good job. I think he feels a little bit better about it now. It helps when you get some success in there.”

INJURY REPORT: Carriker did some work in the first portion of practice and will also be a game time decision though he is probably less likely to play than Jackson.

“I think he’s in the same boat (as Jackson),” Haslett said.

Carriker remains hopeful that he will play but says he doesn’t want to rush back and then suffer a serious injury that will keep him out a long period of time.

“I’ve been getting treatment like crazy but other than that I have just been trying to recover and get healthy,” Carriker said. “We’ll see how it goes on Sunday. We’ll know then.”

Carriker and Jackson are listed as questionable on the injury report.

One guy whose status was in doubt earlier in the week but appears ready to go is receiver Derek Stanley.

Stanley was cleared Thursday and practiced that day and Friday. While he’s officially listed as questionable, Haslett says Stanley will be involved in the game plan and be active against the Patriots.

“He’s ready to go, he will work some special teams and he’ll also be involved in the offense,” Haslett said.

Cornerback Tye Hill is also listed as questionable after he participated in Friday’s practice. It’s unlikely he will play, though.
    Safety Todd Johnson (bruised kidney) and receiver Drew Bennett (foot) are out.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Re: Holt Still Thinks about Lost Super Bowl

I think about it too....

Getting that second superbowl would have changed the teams place in history, and compared with the greatest teams and dynasties of all times.

Instead, for all intents and purposes, we were a "one hit wonder".

And the Patriots kept rolling and rolling as our team deteriorated.

ramfan247 is offline Registered User

Take us to another superbowl Haslett and Holt!!! We're ready!

locazn is offline Registered User

Because of that game i am a Patriots hater for life!!! I'm sick of hearing about those cheater patriots! dynasty this dynasty that!!! UGhh can't wait for our revenge tomorrow!

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

The loss to New England is easily the biggest sports disappointment in my life. I was there in New Orleans and knew the Rams were in trouble from the start when New England was introduced as a team before the game. Mike Martz completely blew this Super Bowl for us- the Rams did not appear prepared and the under utilization of Marshall Faulk was and still is mind boggling. I think about this loss all the time and I'm not even a player.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -10-26-2008 at 07:00 AM. Reason: spelling