Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Re: Holt vs champ bailey

Flip side to the argument. Holt amassed terrific stats based at least in part on the weapons around him. Would holt had been as great a player without warner, bulger, faulk, bruce and jackson around him? Put holt on a team without all the other weapons and i doubt he is anywhere near as effective.
    Without Faulk and Warner Holt has still been a constant threat and pro Bowler. Bruce slowed down the last couple years and Holt still produced. The Line went to hell and Holt still produced. Thats like saying Rice would not have been that great without Montanna, Taylor, and Craig. While the other playmakers help, Holt still consistantly shreads double teams on his own. He is a feature back and one of the greatest ever.

nuff said

What is a nuff anyways?

LET'S GO DODGERS

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Knowing our team, we'd have let Bailey leave when his contract expired just like Fletcher, Bly, Wistrom, etc.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Knowing our team, we'd have let Bailey leave when his contract expired just like Fletcher, Bly, Wistrom, etc.
    Exactly what I was thinking......Lyght, McCleon, Carter, Picket, Fisher.......

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Bailey is still at an extremely high level, arguably still one of the best corners in the game... whereas Holt is on the downward side of his career.. he's cleary lost a step and is suffering from knee problems.

It's tough to say.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

If a WR and CB are both impact players and our needs for either are the same, I opt for the WR every time. A WR can change a game with one reception and an impact WR will catch an average of 80-100 passes, 1000 yds +, and 7-12 TD's each year. A CB just can't make that kind of contribution to a team's success. The threat that an impact WR presents opens the running game as defensive resources have to be allocated to stop him. An impact CB can help to neutralize the passing game, but a good offense can go away from that CB to neutralize his affect.

I guess that's just a long winded way of saying HOLT. Sorry.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    If a WR and CB are both impact players and our needs for either are the same, I opt for the WR every time. A WR can change a game with one reception and an impact WR will catch an average of 80-100 passes, 1000 yds +, and 7-12 TD's each year. A CB just can't make that kind of contribution to a team's success. The threat that an impact WR presents opens the running game as defensive resources have to be allocated to stop him. An impact CB can help to neutralize the passing game, but a good offense can go away from that CB to neutralize his affect.

I guess that's just a long winded way of saying HOLT. Sorry.
    Just to play devil's advocate on the issue of "great receiver vs. great corner", the great corner can substantially affect what kind of scheme the defense can run. If he can take the opposing offense's best receiving weapon out of the game plan without safety help, that allows the defense to double up on the lesser receiving threats or stack the box against the run.

I'd argue that Bailey did not benefit that much from Denver's pass rush. The Broncos defense was ranked 7th against the pass last year but 16th in sacks. They were tied for 15th in sacks the year before (with 35 sacks compared to the Rams' 34 in 2006). They were 28th in the league in sacks in 2005 with only 28. They ranked 14th in sacks in 2004...and that was the best they've done since Bailey arrived. Can anyone recall the last great pass rusher on the Denver defensive line? You can make the pass rush argument for why a guy like Asante Samuel has been successful, but Champ really is the champ when it comes to corners in the league today. Not saying we should have taken him, but I wouldn't want to undermine what an impressive job he has done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-08-2008, 01:43 PM
  2. -03-07-2008, 05:31 PM