RamWraith is offline Registered User

Homecoming for ex-Hazelwood East star Williams

By Bill Coats
    10/10/2007 5:13 pm

Brandon Williams was in town for a brief visit last month. Now he’s here to stay. Or so he hopes.

Williams, a former Hazelwood East High star, practiced with the Rams on Wednesday, two weeks after the San Francisco ***** released him. Williams, a third-round draft pick by the Niners in 2006, had averaged 6.4 yards on four punt returns in the first three games. He averaged 6.7 yards last year as a rookie.

“It does feel a little strange” to be wearing blue and gold, Williams acknowledged. “I just appreciate the St. Louis Rams picking me up, and I’m happy to be here. So, I think it’s a good deal.”

The 5-foot-11, 183-pound Williams fills two needs for the Rams: depth at wide receiver while Isaac Bruce (hamstring), Dante Hall (ankle) and Dane Looker (thigh) mend, and an option to Marques Hagans as a returner.

Williams, who holds the University of Wisconsin’s career records for receptions (202) and yards (2,924), has yet to catch a pass in the NFL. He saw special-teams action in 13 games last season and the first three this year before he was let go.

“I was very surprised” to be cut,” said Williams, 23. “I really had no idea what was going on. But it happened, and like everybody always says, everything happens for a reason. So, I guess the reason was to come back home.”

In two seasons at Hazelwood East, Williams piled up 51 receptions for 1,065 yards. He was a Post-Dispatch All-Metro selection in 2001 after the 13-0 Spartans reached the Class 5A state title game, where they were upset by Blue Springs 28-12.

He muffed a punt vs. the Rams on Sept. 16 at the Edward Jones Dome that led to a Rams touchdown. But he doesn’t believe that was the reason the ***** gave up on him.

“I really don’t think so. I mean, one punt,” he said. “It was unfortunate that it happened, but things happen. Returners mishandle a ball here and there. I don’t think one play led to my demise.”

The Rams are on the road the next two weeks. But Williams expects to get plenty of ticket requests for their home game Oct. 28 vs. Cleveland. He’s already mapped out a plan to handle the influx.

“That’s something that you’ve just got to try to work around, talk to your family members, kind of coach them up a little bit,” he said, laughing. Being home again, he stressed, outweighs any of the potential drawbacks.

“It’s always a dream come true to play in your hometown and be with your friends and family,” he said. “It’s always good. I haven’t been here in six years, so it’s cool.”

Notes & quotes:

>>QB Gus Frerotte practiced with the first unit Wednesday and is the planned starter Sunday in Baltimore, as Marc Bulger continues his recovery from rib and knee injuries.

>>With Dante Hall (ankle) out, Marques Hagans will return punts and kicks.

>>WR Dane Looker has had two blood transfusions and probably will require one more as he recovers from a severe thigh bruise incurred Sept. 30 at Dallas. The transfusions restore blood to his system and should hasten his return.

>>Two Rams underwent surgery Tuesday: S Jerome Carter, for a broken bone in his foot, and G Mark Setterstrom, to repair a torn ACL. Both are finished for the season.

>>CB Tye Hill practiced without limitations Wednesday. “Even if he’s not starting, he could be available to play in nickel and things like that” Sunday, Linehan said. “We’ll make that assessment probably after tomorrow’s practice – whether he’s going to be cleared for the game and how much he does play.”

>>WR Torry Holt sat out practice with swelling in his surgically repaired right knee. “It’s not serious enough to keep him from playing. It’s just limiting him in practice,” Linehan explained.

All for now. . .

Ram Dragoon is online now Registered User

Re: Homecoming for ex-Hazelwood East star Williams

If it was just one punt MUFFED-I can see the arguement for NOT cutting him....but what else was behind the decision to cut him? Would the Bears cut Hester if he muffed a punt? I don't think so.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Dragoon, I'm not sure that we are talking about the same caliber of player.

Besides, he's better off now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

Ram Dragoon is online now Registered User

Its just a question...this late in the season and he is available; just wondering if there is other baggage to worry about. Primarly if Williams is an asset or another body filling a hole:\

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by badmoforamfan View Post
    Dragoon, I'm not sure that we are talking about the same caliber of player.

Besides, he's better off now.
    No doubt he is better off. Question is are WE better off?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!