Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Hometown Clock Keeper May have cost Rams victory @ Detroit

richtree is offline Registered User

Hometown Clock Keeper May have cost Rams victory @ Detroit

Rams Bradford slid at 2:38 yet not enough time to bring clock to 2:00 warning.....

there are many mentions of this on twitter and other places....

Maybe someone can copy and paste it...

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: Hometown Clock Keeper May have cost Rams victory @ Detroit

Here you go Rich...

By Ryan Van Bibber.

In a game with a razor thin margin like the St. Louis Rams' season opener against the Detroit Lions, the little things matter greatly. A missed interception, a blown assignment, a third down not made or mismanagement of the clock can change the outcome. The Rams were the victims of a clock error late in the game, as the seconds wound down to the two-minute warning. Had the replacement referees caught the mistake, things might have played out differently in the last two minutes.

Fast forward to the Rams' second-to-last drive, the one that ended with Greg Zuerlein's 46-yard field goal to give them a 23-20 lead.

2nd-and-12 from the Lions 31-yard line

(2:45) (Shotgun) 8-S.Bradford scrambles right end to DET 28 for 3 yards

Bradford slides at the 2:38 mark. There's some confusion as to whether or not he's out of bounds, but they say that he is not and the clock keeps on ticking ... except for a four or five second delay where it sticks at 2:38.

There's confusion on the sidelines. Fisher calls a timeout at 2:03, just as the play clock winds down to one second.

Seems normal enough, right? The Rams come back onto the field after the timeout, run the 3rd-and-9 play that features an incomplete pass to Danny Amendola, which you can see here (courtesy or Chad Yuhnke, @squick3n).

A few fans quibbled with that play, but it should have never happened. Look at the clock and the play clock when Fisher calls the timeout.

Now look at those clocks right as Robert Turner snaps the ball to Bradford on the 3rd-and-9 play.

Notice anything? I didn't either until a friend of the site walked me through it.

Bradford's scramble ends and the refs blow the whistle at 2:38. They should have 40 seconds on the play clock to run the next play. Since the clock did not stop - well, it did for a few seconds, but not officially - the Rams should have been able to go to the two-minute warning without burning a timeout or running that ill-fated third down play.

The official made a big mistake getting the clock and the play clock synced up.

You can go back and point out any number of things that could have made the difference in the outcome. If Jo-Lonn Dunbar is on his man, Kevin Smith might not have scored the winning touchdown.

Still, it's hard not to wonder what might have happened had the Rams not taken a timeout and come back onto the field for 3rd-and-9 after the two minute warning. They would have been able to burn even more time off the clock, likely forcing the Lions to take a timeout, their last one, prior to the Rams field goal. Instead, they were able to use it on the last drive, the winning drive.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

BY JIM THOMAS

What appears to have been a late-game glitch in clock management Sunday in Detroit could've been costly to the Rams in their last-second 27-23 loss to the Lions.

With 2 minutes 45 seconds to play, Rams quarterback Sam Bradford scrambled out of the pocket and slid feet first near the St. Louis sideline, in-bounds. A television copy of the game broadcast showed no official signal time out, yet the game clock was stopped at 2:38.

After a few seconds, line judge Shannon Eastin signaled that the game clock was to be re-started, but by the time this actually happened, about 7 seconds had gone by.

Even though the clock was mistakenly stopped at 2:38 the 40-second play clock somehow was running before that stoppage because Rams coach Jeff Fisher had to use a timeout at 2:03 to avoid getting a delay of game penalty.

Had the clock reached 2 minutes as it apparently should have, Fisher could've run the ensuing third-down play after the 2-minute warning, instead of before. Had that been the case, Detroit coach Jim Schwartz would've had to use his last timeout before Greg Zuerlein's 46-yard field goal _ which gave the Rams' a 23-20 lead _ or lose 30-plus seconds of clock time.

As it was, Schwartz used that final timeout on Detroit's game-winning touchdown drive, which culminated in a five-yard TD pass from Matthew Stafford to Kevin Smith with 10 seconds to play.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

...the replacement refs strike again. I hate to blame the ref's for the loss, but they didn't' exactly do the Rams any favors on Sunday.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Yeah they also blew this one:

Seahawks Vs. Cardinals: Referee Mistakenly Gives Extra Timeout To Seattle

Sep 09 9:42p by Scott Coleman

Read More: Arizona Cardinals, Seattle Seahawks

All eyes were on the replacement referees in Week 1 of the NFL Season. While there weren't too many issues this weekend, the crew that officiated the Seahawks and Cardinals game in Arizona made a pretty big mistake.

As Seattle drove down the field late in the fourth quarter, referee Bruce Hermansen granted the Seahawks an extra timeout. The crew gathered and began deliberations, delaying play with about 90 seconds remaining on the game clock. After about five minutes of review the crew came back with the wrong answer and ruled Seattle had one timeout remaining.

Here is what head referee Bruce Hermansen had to say following the conclusion of the game, which Arizona won 20-16.

"It was my error. We gave them (SEA) the additional timeout because of the incomplete pass stopping the clock before the injury occurred. When in effect, the clock has no bearing on the play at all, whether it's stopped or running, we should not have given them (SEA) the additional timeout."

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

So we would have lost with 2 or 3 seconds on the clock. I feel much better now.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post

Well, we may have run the ball on third down and forced them to use a timeout earlier. You never know...

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    No we would have waited until the 2 min warning. came back and run the ball... The Lions would have had to use it's time out or watch us run the clock down before kicking the FG. The Lions would have used their last timeout... The Lions would have had less time and no timeouts on the last drive the game would have gone to OT IMO.
    rammiser likes this.

thoey is offline Registered User

When it comes to things like this, sometimes you are lucky, sometimes you aren't. While that *may* have affected the outcome, I'm thinking our D's inability to stop the Lions on their last two series was the reason we lost.
    RealRam and shower beers like this.
    This space for rent...

RedRamage is offline Registered User

As a Lions fan, I really don't think this would have made a huge difference. Assuming the 3rd and 9 play still ends up an incomplete after the 2 minute warning, I think the Lions still win. You'll notice that the Lions did not hustle to the line often in that last drive. I don't think this was a case of just being lazy. Schwartz would have ripped them a new one for that. Rather, I think they wanted to make sure that when they scored there wasn't enough time left on the clock to for any last minute heroics from the Rams.

All this is to say that if there is less time, the Lions run to the line after the play, not just walk up lazily and burn 20-25 seconds between plays.

Now, one could make a case that if Fisher had the full two minutes to think about it he might have come up with a better play and the Rams might have gotten the first down, but that's really just conjecture.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

We might have made it to overtime, but really we probably should have called a better play for that first down and there would have been no chance.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RedRamage View Post
    As a Lions fan, I really don't think this would have made a huge difference. Assuming the 3rd and 9 play still ends up an incomplete after the 2 minute warning, I think the Lions still win. You'll notice that the Lions did not hustle to the line often in that last drive. I don't think this was a case of just being lazy. Schwartz would have ripped them a new one for that. Rather, I think they wanted to make sure that when they scored there wasn't enough time left on the clock to for any last minute heroics from the Rams.

All this is to say that if there is less time, the Lions run to the line after the play, not just walk up lazily and burn 20-25 seconds between plays.

Now, one could make a case that if Fisher had the full two minutes to think about it he might have come up with a better play and the Rams might have gotten the first down, but that's really just conjecture.

That's the point - we wouldn't have THROWN a pass after the 2 minute warning. We would have run the ball and forced the Lions to burn a time out. Since the 2 minute warning was going to stop the clock anyway they took a chance for a first down and threw a pass since the clock was going to be stopped either way.

BarronWade is online now Registered User

Guys no matter how much we complain about this our record will be 0-1...We played well but the end outcome saw the Lions sneak out a win...Lets move on week 2 vs. RG III lets get a win and see the redskins lose so we get an earlier 1st round pick courtesy of the skins

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

You think the Rams would still go with the pass play after the two minute warning? come on

The only reason the pass play was run was because the 2 minute warning was going to stop the clock whether it was a run or a pass.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

Unsound analysis. The Lions scored on a snap with 15 seconds left. Had a sack occured, that could have ended the game. I find it hard to believe that the clock would be managed with no margin for error, intentionally.

Given a proper playclock and a logical run call that would have followed, the Lions would have most likely have had to kick a FG.

I would have put my money on Detriot in OT, but that is beside the point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast