Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Hometown Clock Keeper May have cost Rams victory @ Detroit

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Hometown Clock Keeper May have cost Rams victory @ Detroit

Good observations on the various possibilities. It was our DEFENSE on that drive that cost us the game.

RedRamage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    Unsound analysis. The Lions scored on a snap with 15 seconds left. Had a sack occured, that could have ended the game. I find it hard to believe that the clock would be managed with no margin for error, intentionally.
    I think the clock was managed for error and/or opportunity, and that opportunity presented itself. I think the plan was to work their way down the field, semi-conservatively. Go for the TD if it presents itself, but be smart, we only needed a FG to tie. Well, the opportunity to was there for the pass over the middle for a big gain, and the Lions took it.

Do you disagree that the Lions were NOT running up to the line for the next play? Look at the time for the plays on that drive... 25 seconds, 15 seconds, 25 seconds, 20 seconds... That's not a team that is worried about time. Granted, they aren't lollygagging, but they aren't rushing to the line to get the next play off ASAP.

Given a proper playclock and a logical run call that would have followed, the Lions would have most likely have had to kick a FG.
    I think it's incorrect to say that the Lions would have had to kick and would not have had a legitimate shot at the end zone. I think it becomes less likely that they make the TD. Its more likely that they would have been 20 yards or so from the endzone instead of 5, but I still they the move the ball well and get to reasonable range to take a shot or two at the end zone before they have to think about settling for a FG.

Of course, I'm as a Lions fan and it's probably fair to say my opinion is clouded. Who knows... in the reverse situation I might be saying the same thing as you all are.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The league has now confirmed an error took place...

League admits late-game clock error in Rams game
    15 minutes ago • BY JIM THOMAS

A late-game glitch in clock management Sunday in Detroit was costly to the Rams in their last-second 27-23 loss to the Lions.

With 2 minutes 45 seconds to play, Rams quarterback Sam Bradford scrambled out of the pocket and slid feet first near the St. Louis sideline, in-bounds. A television copy of the game broadcast showed no official signal time out, yet the game clock was stopped at 2:38.

After a few seconds, line judge Shannon Eastin signaled that the game clock was to be re-started, but by the time this actually happened, about 7 seconds had gone by.

"It was a mistake by the clock operator," a league spokesman told the Post-Dispatch. "He stopped the clock incorrectly. The officials did not signal for it to stop."

Even though the clock was mistakenly stopped at 2:38 the 40-second play clock somehow was running during that stoppage because Rams coach Jeff Fisher had to use a timeout at 2:03 to avoid getting a delay of game penalty.

Had the clock reached 2 minutes as it should have, Fisher could've run the ensuing third-down play after the 2-minute warning, instead of before. Had that been the case, Detroit coach Jim Schwartz would've had to use his last timeout before Greg Zuerlein's 46-yard field goal — which gave the Rams' a 23-20 lead — or lose 30-plus seconds of clock time.

Fisher likened it to Detroit getting an extra timeout. Clock operators are hired independently of the officiating crew — or in this case the replacement officiating crew.

As it was, Schwartz used that final timeout on Detroit's game-winning touchdown drive, which culminated in a five-yard TD pass from Matthew Stafford to Kevin Smith with 10 seconds to play.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

i believe in giving credit or blame where they're do. The Rams had plenty of chances to win and the Lions plenty of chances to lose, for example the last drive, but the Lions didn't lose. They looked confident marching down the field and the Rams were playing scared (e.g. playing for a tie or something else with the 'prevent' defense). The Rams had three INTs, scored a TD on one, and could have easily had a touichdown or two of the others if the offense was up to the task. Stafford looked awful in the first half and like the second coming on Johnny U. in the 4th Q., especially in the last few minutes. I coached sports at a farily high level for almost 12 years and always told the players that 'officials don't win or lose games,' players and sometimes coaches win or lose games (more ofetn players than coaches) actually. So, don't blame the refs. The 'replacements' have done a good job considering their situation and if one looks objectively at previous seasons there are plenty of controversial calls by the regular NFL referees. It happens in every sport. I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan and who can forget Don Denkinger and the famous missed call at first base when Joawuin Andujar (sp?) lost his mind. it happens. Perhaps we should move on and give credit to our opponents from yesterday. The Lions are awesome and if they were on their game in the first half (they looked like they were in a fog) we'd be lamenting a blow-ot. And, perhaps we should give credit to the Rams for showing a great deal of improvement from days of yore, which gives me a great deal of hope for the future.
    Agrajag likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Im curious as to how the game could have been altered. If they got their damn jobs correct (which seems fairly straight forward) we could have let the clock tick down to the 2 minute warning. Then we could have designed a nicer pass play, ran the same play, or ran the ball and forced them to use their last timeout.

Its pretty embarrassing that things like this are happening in the NFL. The outcome could have been the exact same, and yet the outcome could have been totally different. Shame.

THE DREAM TEAM

thermobee is offline Registered User

Isnt the NFL going to investigate something like this? This is pretty significant IMHO.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Yeah, it was a tough loss. We lost cleanly after two defensive collapses culminating in a blown coverage to allow the TD, so we can't exactly argue that we deserved to win. That said, it's troubling to think that we still might have squeezed out a W or at least forced overtime if not for an operator error.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

This is pretty simple.

Rams come out of the two minutes warning break, run the ball. Detroit calls TO, clock at about 1:55.

Rams kick the FG. Clock at what.......1:50 maybe.

Nothing much different happens from there...........eeexxxccceeeppptttt.........Detroit has no TOs and <speculation> works the sidelines more to conserve time. The Rams secondary was doing a decent job of defending the edges of the field .............. so, did this help Detroit?

Not as much as the mistakes the Rams made.

Sad that it happened and we'll never know. But not as sad as the Rams rushing three on the final drive.
    Semper Fi!

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

That was a bad mistake by the refs. It changed the game BUT it doesn't mean it would have changed the result. We could only predict what would have happened.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by J-RodRamFan View Post
    That was a bad mistake by the refs. It changed the game BUT it doesn't mean it would have changed the result. We could only predict what would have happened.
    'guess' right?
    Semper Fi!

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

I just want to know when these types of "mistakes" will start giving the RAMS a better chance to win instead of a better chance to lose. Will complaining about this change the win loss column? Not for the past, but it darn well better make changes for the future. This is getting WAY BEYOND stupid.

The RAMS should not have to beat a team twice for one win, which is basically what these "mistakes" cause.

gap
    Last edited by gap; -09-11-2012 at 05:24 PM.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Good observations on the various possibilities. It was our DEFENSE on that drive that cost us the game.

This is only partially true. The D did make a couple of plays on that drive. If they only had to defend 30 seconds and no timeoputs instead of a 115 seconds and one timeout, could they have stopped them? I can tell you that if the Lions only had 30 seconds and no timeouts to go 80 yards (or 50 for a tie), the RAMS could have defended nothing but the long passes, and not be concerned about a screens, dumps, or running plays. This makes a HUGE difference in the game.

gap

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I was thinking at the time that something was goofy, but I was unsure what the play clock is set at. Initially I thought 45 seconds then when Fisher had to call timeout I thought I must be mistaken. Gee, I can't believe Fisher missed it. If I initially thought something was wrong then Fisher or someone on his staff should have absolutely known.

Like I said after the game - Replacement Refs Suck!!!

Hey NFL, very poor credibility until you get rid of the scab rats!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12