MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Hood ready to go for Rams ..

BY KATHLEEN NELSON
    Thursday, November 24, 2011

The wait has been long for cornerback Rod Hood. But he seems certain to get his first chance to log significant playing time Sunday, when the Rams face the Arizona Cardinals at the Edward Jones Dome.

The Rams had just four cornerbacks on the 53-man roster after Marquis Johnson was placed on the injured reserve list Tuesday because of a small laceration on his spleen that will not need surgery. Johnson was the 10th cornerback that the Rams placed on IR this season.

In addition, Justin King has suffered ankle and knee injuries in successive weeks and was limited in practice Wednesday. King and Hood form half the cornerback corps, with Josh Gordy, who has started three games, and Nate Ness, promoted from the practice squad last week.

"We've had some bad luck on the back end," Hood said. "But it's the NFL. Guys like myself, whoever gets the opportunity, have to step up."

Hood, 30, has been patient since first contact this summer. He visited Rams Park in August and again in mid-September before signing two weeks later, when Ron Bartell suffered a season-ending neck injury. Since then, Hood has been inactive for four games and has no statistics in the other three.

Coach Steve Spagnuolo said Hood's insertion into the defense was delayed because he had been out of the league last year, rehabbing from ACL surgery in June 2010, and because he needed to learn the system.

"He's ready to go," Spagnuolo said. "If we need to use him, we'll put him in there."

Hood said he was especially eager to face the Cardinals, for whom he played in 2007 and 2008. Rams fans grew painfully familiar with Hood in his first year with Arizona, when he intercepted two passes from Gus Frerotte and returned one for a touchdown, earning the NFC's defensive player of the week award.

"I had a good time playing there," he said. "It's always good to play against guys you played with. But more important, we're really just looking for a win. If I'm in there, anyway I can help, I'm willing to go, ready to go."

INJURY UPDATE

Linebacker James Laurinaitis, the Rams' leading tackler this season, led the list of players who did not practice Wednesday. Laurinaitis injured a foot in the 24-7 loss to Seattle on Sunday. An MRI revealed no serious damage.

"It's still bothering him a little bit, and we just didn't want to overdo it today and have him not be full on Sunday," Spagnuolo said. "The hope is to have him as healthy as possible."

Other players who did not practice were defensive tackle Justin Bannan (shoulder), offensive tackles Mark LeVoir (pectoral) and Jason Smith (neck, concussion) and linebacker Josh Hull (hamstring).

Players limited in practice Wednesday included King, defensive end Chris Long (ankle), running back Cadillac Williams (calf), tight end Lance Kendricks (concussion) and wide receivers Austin Pettis (knee), Mark Clayton (knee) and Danario Alexander (hamstring).

Alexander has missed four straight games and Spagnuolo said he "did some things, but nothing full-speed. ... He's a legitimate day-to-day."

RAM-BLINGS

The Rams and Bud Light have purchased enough tickets to meet the NFL's sellout requirement, so Sunday's game will be televised locally, on KTVI (Channel 2), at noon. ... Seahawks defensive end Chris Clemons won the NFC defensive player of the week award, after recording three sacks, two forced fumbles and a deflected pass in Seattle's win over the Rams. Clemons was the fourth Rams' opponent to win a conference player of the week award this year, the third on defense.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Hood ready to go for Rams ..

wtf? Marquis is on IR? sigh* omg and 10 corners? dam...

Keenum is offline Registered User

10 CBs on IR... wonder if that's some kind of record.

I say let Gordy and Hood start and throw Ness in there a lot. We've seen what King has done all throughout the year and it's time to see if we'll have to dig deep in the draft for more CBs, or if one of these newer guys can fill that spot.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

i've always thought Hood had a lot of potential. i think he might suprise some people if he gets on the field. I would much prefer him over King.