MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Hoomanawanui eager to try Rams’ new offense ..

BY BILL COATS Saturday, May 28, 2011

The last time Josh McDaniels saw him, Rams tight end Michael Hoomanawanui was hustling 35 yards to the end zone Nov. 28 in a 36-33 come-from-behind victory in Denver.

McDaniels was the Broncos' head coach. Fired eight days later, McDaniels since has been hired by coach Steve Spagnuolo to run the Rams' offense.

McDaniels, the offensive coordinator under Bill Belichick in New England before heading to Denver, likes to deploy tight ends as receiving targets in his scheme. So perhaps he and Hoomanawanui will form a strong alliance.

"I love what I see so far" of the new offense, Hoomanawanui said. "The proof is there. What New England's done with their tight ends, hopefully we can do that this year."

But first things first: Hoomanawanui has to prove that he can stay healthy. Ankle injuries — one to each leg — cost him eight games last year. He finished his rookie season with 13 receptions for 146 yards and three touchdowns. Only running back Steven Jackson, with six TDs, scored more often.

"Hopefully, I got my injuries out of the way my first year and I won't have to deal with that again," said Hoomanawanui, who was among the contingent of Rams taking part in player-organized workouts this week at Lindenwood University.

"It's great to get back out here and see all the guys and get some team camaraderie going again," he said. "Obviously, everybody knows the situation (with the NFL lockout). Hopefully, we can get it settled soon and get back on the field with everybody."

The 6-foot-4, 265-pound Hoomanawanui, a fifth-round draft pick out of Illinois, has been training in his hometown of Bloomington, Ill. "Everybody's got their own deal," he said. "But as long as everyone stays in shape and gets in the playbook, I think we'll come out all right."

The four-day session at Lindenwood will "help tremendously, especially for us learning a new offense, just to get everyone caught up to speed," Hoomanawanui said. "There are other teams around the league doing the same thing. I don't think it can hurt you at all. You've just got to be smart when you come out here. Obviously, you don't want anyone getting hurt."

Hoomanawanui's rookie season had barely begun when got hurt 7 minutes into the opening game, versus Arizona. The injury, diagnosed as a sprain high on his left ankle, sidelined him for the next four games. He amassed all his rookie stats over the following six weeks before he got rolled up from behind on a goal-line play late in the first half against the Broncos. That injury, a sprain high on his right ankle, put him out for another month.

Hoomanawanui suited up for the season finale Jan. 2 at Seattle but saw only spot duty. He had no catches and no passes thrown his way.

"Going down the first game and then coming back for a couple and then going down again, it was definitely frustrating," he said. "But the trainers did a great job getting me back as soon as they could. My teammates encouraged me … great family support and friend support. I was able to get through it."

After Wednesday's 90-minute workout, Hoomanawanui reported that his ankles "feel great. I had enough of an offseason to take care of them. They're ready to go."

Although Hoomanawanui said he believed that his injuries last year were "just a little bit of bad luck," he took preventive measures during his offseason training.

"You can always strengthen them and get a little bit more flexibility so that when things like that do happen, they can give a little bit more," he explained. "So I've been working on that.

"Nobody wants to go down with injuries, and I definitely don't want to be labeled as an injury guy. So taking care of that and not whining about it is my biggest thing right now."

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Re: Hoomanawanui eager to try Rams’ new offense ..

Uh-Oh is an incredible athlete. I truly hope he can stay healthy, because he could develop into a real weapon for us.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I love his athletic ability, so much potential to turn in to a very hard to stop tight end. I just hope he has got those ankles strong enough now...

SLSG Guest

He's a beast. Big dude with good hands. He and Kendricks will be trouble for D's.

SLSG Guest

The last time Josh McDaniels saw him, Rams tight end Michael Hoomanawanui was hustling 35 yards to the end zone Nov. 28 in a 36-33 come-from-behind victory in Denver.

I know my memory isn't is good as it once was, but I thought the Rams had a big lead and Denver was making a comeback ?

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SLSG View Post

I know my memory isn't is good as it once was, but I thought the Rams had a big lead and Denver was making a comeback ?
    At the time when Hoomanawanui scored, the Rams were down 10-0. The comeback mentioned is probably referring to that.