r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Hoomanawanui Expected To Play Monday

Hoomanawanui expected to play Monday

BY BILL COATS
    Sunday, September 18, 2011

Barely recovered from a concussion that had sidelined him for several days earlier in training camp, tight end Michael Hoomanawanui slammed his helmet to the turf at Rams Park when he felt a twinge in his calf muscle.

That was on Aug. 22, and the injury was diagnosed as a strain. It would cost him nearly a month of action.

Hoomanawanui, a fifth-round draft choice last year out of Illinois, finally is expected to return to action Monday night, when the Rams take on the New York Giants at the Meadowlands. He was listed as questionable on Saturday's injury report.

"I'm happy with my progress," Hoomanawanui said. Head trainer "Reggie (Scott) and the trainers have done a great job. Coach has done a great job in limiting me this week, starting me off slow. But I feel great."

Said coach Steve Spagnuolo: "The one thing you worry about with that kind of injury, if he gets to the point when he's tired at practice, that's when you get setbacks. So we've kind of monitored his reps and we'll see where is by the time we get to Monday."

The 6-foot-4, 263-pound Hoomanawanui figures to be a key component in the offense brought in by new coordinator Josh McDaniels, who likes to keep his tight ends heavily involved. McDaniels is relishing the thought of pairing Hoomanawanui with promising rookie Lance Kendricks and veteran Billy Bajema.

Hoomanawanui is 'such a big target in the passing game and does a great job at the line of scrimmage in terms of his run blocking," McDaniels said. "It'll be exciting to have him back, have our whole group of tight ends together and allow them to play for the first time together."

No one is more excited than Hoomanawanui.

"You can tell by my face," he said, flashing a big smile. "I'm very eager. It's been a crazy camp for me, especially coming off last year. Everyone knows what happened. … I want to be out on the field helping the team win. I'm close to doing that, so we're going to keep pushing."

Separate injuries to both ankles limited Hoomanawanui to eight games last year. He finished his rookie season with 13 catches for 146 yards and three touchdowns.

RAM-BLINGS

Running back Steven Jackson (thigh) sat out practice again Saturday and is listed as questionable. "I'll visit with him tomorrow and see where we're at," Spagnuolo said. "We'll probably work him out on game day and see where we're going." ... Probables were quarterback Sam Bradford (finger), cornerback Bradley Fletcher (toe), linebacker Josh Hull (hamstring) and tackle Jason Smith (ankle). All are expected to play. ... With Danny Amendola (elbow) out for at least Monday's game, rookie Greg Salas figures to take over his duties as the primary slot receiver. ... The Rams will be making their first appearance on Monday night football since Dec. 11, 2006, when they lost to Chicago 42-27 at the Edward Jones Dome.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Re: Hoomanawanui Expected To Play Monday

Uh oh. Glad to have him back. He will make Kendricks step his game up even higher. This should be interesting.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

adds a big weapon that Bradford likes if he can play, however not holding my breath.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

I will love to see HoHo and Kendricks in twin TE sets. Who you gonna guard double or with a safety/cb? One is going to have a lame lb over em and that's where we roll!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Hope he doesn't get injured on the first play of the game.....