Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    moklerman is offline Registered User

Re: Horne is long gone, and Rams still feel it

Last thing I heard was Horne was in Canada but I don't know that he's been playing much.

I disagree witht he fumbling worries on kickoffs. Obviously you don't want a turnover at that stage but Az and his issues were on punts. With a punt returner, I want a guy who will catch and hang on to the ball first, and a big return second. With all of the fair catches and guys in your face right off the bat, you just need someone to catch the ball without muffing it. The best punt returners in the league generally only average around 10 yards a return I think.

With kickoffs the timing and pressure of just catching the ball in entirely different and you want a guy who doesn't fumble once he does get a handle on it because there is usually a return involved. If he muffs it a little there is usually time to re-set and pick the ball up. On punts that's not the case.

The main thing is to at least put someone with some speed back there just in case the wedge actually causes a parting of the red sea. All of the Rams returns recently, seem to die around the point of first contact anyway.

PTHOR is offline Registered User

Until reading this article on Ramsfootball.com, I never knew why Dick released Horne, and couldn't understand why Martz didn't pick him right up.
    He was a definate factor on special teams, I believe he made the whole group play better.
    I'll never forget the first game of the 2000 season while playing the Bronc's on Monday night, the horseheads ran a kickoff back for a touchdown and Horne did it right back to them on their kickoff, that was a great offensive game and the first look at our Defense coming off the SB win and deciding to take the season off. The rest of the season was spent trying to out score everyone. Kurt was beutiful too.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Last thing I heard was Horne was in Canada but I don't know that he's been playing much.

I disagree witht he fumbling worries on kickoffs. Obviously you don't want a turnover at that stage but Az and his issues were on punts. With a punt returner, I want a guy who will catch and hang on to the ball first, and a big return second. With all of the fair catches and guys in your face right off the bat, you just need someone to catch the ball without muffing it. The best punt returners in the league generally only average around 10 yards a return I think.

With kickoffs the timing and pressure of just catching the ball in entirely different and you want a guy who doesn't fumble once he does get a handle on it because there is usually a return involved. If he muffs it a little there is usually time to re-set and pick the ball up. On punts that's not the case.

The main thing is to at least put someone with some speed back there just in case the wedge actually causes a parting of the red sea. All of the Rams returns recently, seem to die around the point of first contact anyway.
    I'm with Mok 100%. Even if the reasoning behind putting Arlen Harris back there is for ball security, we are way past the Curse of Az to still be afraid of it. Harris has been known to break off 40-yard returns, but it's only on a rare occasion of excellent blocking. Put someone back there with speed and decent field vision, keep him there so he gets comfortable with it, and eventually he'll become a good returner who can break away for a TD when the chance comes along.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Ive been saying this all along about our crappy return teams. Speed and vision is the key. Martz once again Jackson and Harris have NO speed to be a KR. I find it real odd that alot of posters on this board including myself realize Jackson and Harris arent the answer and Mike Martz does not. Pick up the guy the bears released he cant be any worse we are last in the league. Try Curtis, Mcdonald some fast WR on the practice squad ANYBODY PLEASE. :ramlogo:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12