Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: Horrible choice, 56 yd FG?!

How can anybody say the probability of making the 4th and 2 is greater than making the field goal? I remember Jackson getting stuffed for less than 2 at least 5 or 6 times in the game. And the blitz was intense. I think assuming the 4th and 2 was a gimme is a huge oversight of what happened all game long ...

nonefan is offline Registered User

You didn't see Clements punch that ball out of Holt's arm, also the ***** had a muffed punt that give the Rams a score.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    I think assuming the 4th and 2 was a gimme is a huge oversight of what happened all game long ...
    Who exactly said a 4th and 2 was a "gimme?" I must have missed that quote.

Jackson did get stuffed a couple of times in this game. I would have to think that on 4th and 2 we're probably not going to be calling a standard run up the middle, though. There are a number of play calls that I think have a fairly solid success rate to gain 2-3 yards. Making a 56-yard field goal is pretty difficult even for the strongest legs, especially when you consider Wilkins hasn't succeeded from that distance in the regular season since 1998.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I was in that endzone and Wilkins 53 yarder barely made it through. It was foolish to ask him to kick the 56 yarder...he just didn't have it in him yesterday.

Still, we couldn't open holes for Jackson so the 4th and 3 (yes, 4th and 3) so going for it wasn't a clear option, either.

Bulger had already been sacked 6 times and hit many other times so the pass was not the greatest option, either.

Of course, 1/2 of the stadium was already gone by this point in time...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

I also thought that the 53 yard kick he made earlier looked like it would have made it at 56. Had the last kick been 55 instead of 56 then it would have been good. His pregame long was 53 yards I believe but add in the adrenaline then I say let him try 56. However, he barely made it onto the field after Bruce's catch and with a few seconds left on the play clock was still lining up for the try. We were lucky that S.F. called that timeout.

I would say if next week comes down to a 56 yard try or 4th and 2 then go for the field goal but it isn't in a dome. If next week were at home though and that situation came up, I would opt for the field goal again.

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Bulger had already been sacked 6 times and hit many other times so the pass was not the greatest option, either.
    have Bruce and holt run a quick slant with SJ running in the flat. One of those three gets that pass and 1st. The 53 barely making it??? It went into the net that is not barely making it. I dont mind the FG try I also would not have minded a try at the first. WE lost lets all move on and get ready. The season is a long way from over and we can still whup up on this division. The defense played great and the offense will start scoring it always does. Anyone remember last years make shift o-line?
    LET'S GO DODGERS

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Just didn't go our way sunday! Hope this isn't the shape of things to come,with 4 of 5 road games , I'm not so sure. The line is pretty pathetic at this point!!
    Rookie move by Holt to hold that ball so far away from the body! I put the loss on him! that was 6 and that wa the game loser right there.
    And I still think that D.Hall was interfeared with on the punt. can't push a guy into the returner .
    Defensive line kicked ass I think. ST did fine so let's build on those finer spots.
    Tampa is gonna be tough. Let's go Rams 14-2.......It could happen!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    Please. We basically gave up.
    4th and 3 the game is on the line.

Go for it or attempt the field goal?

1. Wilkins did kick a 53 yarder earlier in the game that would have been good from further away. How much further I'm not sure. I don't know if anyone knows for sure.
    I'm guessing that Linehan approached Wilkins about the 56 yard attempt? I have a feeling even if Wilkins didn't show the coach alot of confidence at attempting this kick, Linehan was sending him out there anyway.

Why would Linehan risk the game on a very tough kick?

1. Playing indoors, no elements to affect the ball.
    2. Marc Bulger was sacked 6 times in this game and 2 of the 6 came in the 4th quarter.
    Not to mention Bulger was being banged around the whole 4th quarter.
    3. Steven Jackson ran the ball in this game 21 times. 10 (TEN!) of the 21 carries went for 2 yards or less. Taking it a step further Jackson ran the ball 3 times in the 4th quarter and 2 of the 3 rushing attempts went for 2 yards or less.

I don't know if this info is in Linehans' head when making game decisions? If it was I can understand the decision to go for the kick.

Me personally? I was listening to the game as I snuck outside from a baby shower and caught the last 2 minutes of the game on the Satellite radio in my car. My reaction was, what is Linehan doing we have to go for the 1st down!!! 56 yards is to far for Wilkins!! DANG!!! We're going to lose again after leading 13-7!!

Again, I didn't have the knowledge/experience of what had been going on during the game. It actually sounded like our o-line was getting hammered along with Bulger. Did the o-line run out of gas?

Flaw is offline Registered User

Maybe if a lot of the fans didn't leave, it would've been a more intense atmosphere and Wilkins would've had the adrenaline to make the kick!

The fans lost the game!

rammiser is offline Registered User

Like I said before all of this would be a moot point if Bruce tried to get the first down instead of running straight out of bounds. The db was still at least 5 yds from him when he caught the ball. If he gets the first down we can spike it if he gets an extra yard and gets tackled bounds there was still 56 seconds on the clock. It's not like we couldnt run the fg unit on to attempt a 55 or 54 and 1/2 yd fg. The Ball was a foot short from going in. I love Bruce but sometimes it drives me crazy when he just runs out. I know he was thinking we have no timeouts but you have to know the game situations. I think he would have got the first down and still made it out of bounds before getting hit. It's just another mistake by someone on this team helping our losing cause.
    Just Fix It

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234