CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

How about open discussion on each position weekly?

Why not start on this years RB position.

Please share all information, predictions, and question about this position for the upcoming season.

We can evaluate and educate each other on this years team at each position.

For example,

How do you think the Rams coaching crew plan on using Stephan Jackson.

Another

WHo's on the current roster and how many RB's do you think the Rams plan to keep.

Another

This years OL should help Jackson put up big numbers.

Another

How will Faulk be used?

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Re: How about open discussion on each position weekly?

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS
    Why not start on this years RB position.

How do you think the Rams coaching crew plan on using Stephan Jackson.
    FOR STARTERS, IS IT STEPHAN OR STEVEN JACKSON?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The fact that "Steven Jackson" got the underline should answer that one.

I expect to see a lot more of Jackson. Often a back like Jackson can wear down a defense, but he needs to get enough carries to do so. I am looking forward to more balanced play-calling. A lot of times the last couple of years the offense just hasn't appeared to get into a rhythm, and I think getting the running game going early will help a lot with that.

I don't know that the O-line will be that much better in the running game. Barron may one day be a great pass-blocking left tackle, but he is not a prototypical run-blocking right tackle. I think the coaches have commented on it, but he needs to assert himself more physically. We have a lot of young interior linemen whose strengths are run blocking, but rookies are bound to make mistakes if they even break the starting lineup.

Getting back to the runners themselves, I would guess we'll carry three or four halfbacks, and two fullbacks (if you count Massey, the long-snapper). Jackson, Faulk, and Fisher should be 1,2,3 on the depth chart with maybe one more rookie in the mix. Washington and Bagwell were both signed as UDFAs, but I really couldn't tell you where they stand right now. Hagans could potentially be listed as a RB, too. Hedgecock should be the main fullback, and Massey will be listed at that position as well. We have Russell on the roster, but I would be surprised if we included 3 fullbacks on the final 52 man roster.

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

I think we`ll have four RB`s on the roster come our final 53

Steven Jackson,Marshall Faulk,Tony Fisher and one from Fred Russell,Bagwell or Washington

Although i think Jackson has plenty of talent,id have to see what our O-line are gonna do,what plays Linehan is gonna come up with to utilize him best!
    if he played for someone like Denver,KC etc... then id say he would have huge numbers but at the moment im just gonna have to sit on the fence-one thing that could help him is the start/return of Incognito;i feel he could open up some nice lanes for SJ to run through!

i think Marshall could see time on the field with SJ in certain situations one playing FB(possibly MF) the other playing RB,confuse the opposition into thinking about which one they are gonna have to tackle then flick it over to an unmarked Klop etc....you know mix it up a lil!

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

I have a question myself.

I'm really concerned with the running game inside the redzone. When it is third and goal who will carry the ball across the goal line?

Last year it seemed that the Rams were always trying to pass from the friggin 5yd line.

Personally, I would love to see Madison plowing in. SJ seemed to be very inaffective in short yardage last year.
    Maybe, one of TE's will punch it in?

I just don't think SJ is the bruiser that he's been hyped up to be.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

I just don't think SJ is the bruiser that he's been hyped up to be.
    I know it's been said before, but it's hard to gain positive yards when a DL or LB is meeting you in the backfield.

Yes, SJ has to make quicker decisions, but our interior line has to block S-O-M-E-B-O-D-Y.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

And penalties that have been caused by O lineman jumping or flinching have hurt this offense in the Red Zone much more than the playcalling has.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I think part of the red zone problem was Martz's system. As his system evolved it took away a part of the game the utilized the Red Zone. So much of what Martz did used the entire field, and when he got inside the 20 he was lacking the TE, O-line and they plays to execute in the small part of the field. Linehan's system I believe will change that and you will see a lot more Jackson/Faulk/TE's involvement inside the 20.

If you have Torry Holt on your fantasy team it is good time to trade him. Pick up Jackson and the starting TE for the Rams and Linehan's system.

aff15loader is offline Registered User

What I would like to see out of the running backs, mostly SJ, is more break away runs for big yardage. I realize that the O line must also become a major factor in this but last year I dont remember seeing too many "huge" runs. Also SJ needs to stay healthy, it wasnt his fault that he picked up the flu..hell I did and a bunch of people around me did. A healthy SJ for a whole season= big numbers in my opinion. Faulk has been great and in pretty good shape for being an old guy, but like Txramsfan said its the penalties that kill us. Who knows maybe they will settle down and not be so jumpy, mostly a rookie thing.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

i totally agree with you aff15loader

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Smile Re: How about open discussion on each position weekly?

What about Richie in the line up on 3rd and short and goaline playes. I could be wrong but thougt he was know to be an excellent rush blocker. That alone will improve the Oline? Hopefully his agressive stlye and technique will rub off on some of the other players?

I'm very curious to see how the HC uses SJ. Do we have any history on the HC and how he's use RB in the past? What type of backs did he have power? elusive? fast? or all of the
    above??????

Why would you trade Holt (fantasy league). I would think his numbers will improve with a balance attack.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Do we have any history on the HC and how he's use RB in the past?
    When Linehan was in Minnesota, he often wound up using some combination of Onterrio Smith, Michael Bennett, Moe Williams, and Mewelde Moore throughout the year. Sometimes it was a committee, sometimes not. His first year as a coordinator, a used the speedy Bennett to carry the load, but since then Bennett has battled injuries, and O. Smith has had off-the-field issues. So the Vikes fielded whomever they had healthy and not on suspension. Most of those guys in Minnesota were speedsters. However, in Miami he used Ronnie and Ricky. Williams is more of a power back, but Brown is a fairly complete back with good speed and power. It's kind of hard to tell what Linehan's preference is; it seems to me he works with whatever he's got.

Why would you trade Holt (fantasy league). I would think his numbers will improve with a balance attack.
    Even if his yardage numbers improve, it is likely the red zone TDs will be more evenly shared with the TEs and RBs, and in many leagues TDs mean more than yardage totals.

I will save that discussion for a fantasy thread or at the very least WR discussion.

This is not entirely true.

Linehan used Onterrio Smith after Bennett got hurt. Moe Williams was a product of Denny Green and was used ONLY for third down and goal line situations. Moore came along after Linehan went to Miami.

Linehan was put in situations where he had to running back by committee. I do not believe we will see that here.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    When Linehan was in Minnesota, he often wound up using some combination of Onterrio Smith, Michael Bennett, Moe Williams, and Mewelde Moore throughout the year. Sometimes it was a committee, sometimes not. His first year as a coordinator, a used the speedy Bennett to carry the load, but since then Bennett has battled injuries, and O. Smith has had off-the-field issues. So the Vikes fielded whomever they had healthy and not on suspension. Most of those guys in Minnesota were speedsters. However, in Miami he used Ronnie and Ricky. Williams is more of a power back, but Brown is a fairly complete back with good speed and power. It's kind of hard to tell what Linehan's preference is; it seems to me he works with whatever he's got.

Even if his yardage numbers improve, it is likely the red zone TDs will be more evenly shared with the TEs and RBs, and in many leagues TDs mean more than yardage totals.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Nice, solid thread on RB. :up:

I know it's been said before, but it's hard to gain positive yards when a DL or LB is meeting you in the backfield.

Yes, SJ has to make quicker decisions, but our interior line has to block S-O-M-E-B-O-D-Y. -- HUbison
    This is one of those statements that can be prefaced by a, "needless to say..." and yet encouraged in the form of a "...but worth mentioning!"

Absolutely. I agree HUbison, 'needless to say but worth mentioning', our OL was not up to par last year and, by the same token, it MUST IMPROVE this season! Or else.

Or else Steven Jackson becomes exasperated and possibly begins to complain (constructively).

I'm also starting to hope that this year the Rams OL -- if healthy and coupled with the new mindset of a new HC -- will relive the potential and performance of the Coach John Robinson era, even without Eric Dickerson.

Greg Bell, a quiet but very effective, over-1000 yds. RB. Charles White, an excellent, punishing backup RB (despite personal problems). In the late 80's, early 90's the Rams had a powerful running game, for sure!

Steven Jackson, do your thing! :angryram: