Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By RockinRam
  • 3 Post By thermobee
  • 1 Post By VegasRam
  • 1 Post By Nick

Thread: How bad is the Rams O-Line....

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

How bad is the Rams O-Line....

As compared to the other teams in the league? I'd really like to know if anyone has an answer. Are there stats to use to rate the O-lines throughout the league or is it all subjective? Browsing through the posts here at the site I keep reading how bad the line is.

Well, just how bad is it when compared league wide?

Last edited by Curly Horns; -11-21-2012 at 11:24 PM.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Re: How bad is the Rams O-Line....

As compared to the Cardinal's line? I'd say the Rams line is better, without looking at stats, but just from what I've seen.

Compared to the rest of the league? I'd say somewhere in the middle, upper lower third....
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If you look at sacks and QB hits per pass attempt, the Rams are in the bottom quarter of the league.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

hard to compare O-lines with other lines. if we go Taylor Lewan*Chance Warmack and Ricky Wagner with our first 3 picks we should under Boudreau have an elite line before too long tho.

*i don`t think our picks either our own or Washingtons will be high enough to pick Luke Joeckel

RockinRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    hard to compare O-lines with other lines. if we go Taylor Lewan*Chance Warmack and Ricky Wagner with our first 3 picks we should under Boudreau have an elite line before too long tho.

*i don`t think our picks either our own or Washingtons will be high enough to pick Luke Joeckel
    Jake Matthews is just as good if not a little bit better than Joeckel. He's just under the radar.

And 3 o-line picks is kind of a stretch considering the bums we have at the WR position.
    39WillRunYaOva and ManofGod like this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I can play wr and the rams don't have to waste a pick on me... Plus I come at veterans min...

thermobee is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    I can play wr and the rams don't have to waste a pick on me... Plus I come at veterans min...
    Go home Bruce you are drunk.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Unless you've played in the NFL before, you would not be a veteran. You would be playing for the rookie minimum
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    Go home Bruce you are drunk.
    Wasn't drunk at all sir... Just thought this thread could use a funny comment. We all know the rams line stinks ...

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Yes, it does.

There is a saying: "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters."

I would submit that In the NFL, if you have an OLine...

I would spend both our 1st rounders on said line- not WRs, LBs, CBs or RBs.

The Pats haven't had running backs, receivers or a great defense in the last ten years, but they keep winning, and the only constant has been the best offensive line in the NFL, year in and year out.

And I believe Fisher is aware of this. We'll see.
    live4ramin likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Wasn't drunk at all sir... Just thought this thread could use a funny comment. We all know the rams line stinks ...
    Sure we know it stinks. Just like we know all the players stink. Just like we know all the coaches stink. And just like we know management stinks. We even know fan support in the dome stinks. To top it off we all know this entire organization has stunk for years now.

The point was, as compared to the rest of the league where is this line on the stink-o-meter.

As I suspected know one really knows how bad we stink. All we really know is that we stink.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

If you're willing to consider some numbers from Pro Football Focus, here are some of the things they have...

In terms of PFF's Signature Stats, the Rams OL has allowed 21 sacks, 28 hits, and 56 hurries. That's 105 total instances of pressure out of 372 passing plays, giving them a Pass Blocking Efficiency rating of 77.4% which ranks 25th in the league.

PFF ranks the Rams significantly higher in terms of their run blocking. They have a positive run blocking rating that puts them at 10th in the league in that category. Unfortunately, PFF does not have Signature Stats for OL run blocking.

When you look at individual rankings at positions, here is their breakdown:

Saffold is the 39th ranked offensive tackle in the league (22nd when ranked by pass blocking) while Wayne Hunter and Barry Richardson are 58th and 59th respectively.

Harvey Dahl is the 30th best guard in the league and is 7th best guard in the league in PFF's Pass Block Efficiency stat, while Shelley Smith ranks 60th.

Robert Turner is PFF's 13th ranked center in the league. He grades out as their second best center in terms of pass protection, as he's allowed only one hit and two hurries on the year.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Jake Matthews is just as good if not a little bit better than Joeckel. He's just under the radar.

And 3 o-line picks is kind of a stretch considering the bums we have at the WR position.
    i`m more concerned with the line..the 3 i named would give us a serious chance of getting an elite O-line under the guidance of Boudreau.i`m not saying they should do that but it`s possible to get what is needed to build an elite O-line from the first 2 rounds of the draft. i would personally prefer to get one of the big 4 at the safety position in aprils draft class and two linemen with those first 3 picks.
    i don`t consider any of our wideout as bums. apart from Steve Smith,they are either good players or raw players with good potential. drafting more wideouts is just adding to what we have already got plenty of. i wouldn`t be against signing a proven and not too old Wideout at the right price but out of the catchers another TE is needed more IMO.

Haste is offline Registered User

I'm just worried if we go heavy on oline they will all end up like Jason smith again...

What lineman are going to be FA this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Haste View Post
    I'm just worried if we go heavy on oline they will all end up like Jason smith again...

What lineman are going to be FA this year?
    there`s quite a few good ones who are due to end their contracts.Jake Long and Ryan Clady being the biggest names,although they both could either not even enter the market or be very costly having proven themselves in the League.

the rookie salary cap is good so i`d rather roll the dice. we have an O-line coach with pedigree in Boudreau..we didn`t have that when Jason Smith was here.although no coach can prevent injuries. i didn`t like Smith from before we drafted him and made my feelings clear back then for what that`s worth.he didn`t line up in a pro stance at Baylor and had too slender legs for me...too top heavy.