Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: How Bad is the Rams Offensive Line? A Light Breakdown of How it Stacks Up

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I do think the line made improvements in 2009, and is not as bad as it used to be in previous seasons.

Plus, if this line is going to become good, they have to find a way to stay healthy and on the field. This has been a problem for the Rams as a whole, which includes the line, for a while now.
    This is what I'm talking about! Our O-line may not be the best in the NFL but it was far from the worst last season. (Until the injuries started piling up)

It's very hard to grade an O-line in my opinion. Really the players and coaches are the ones that know who's doing their job and who isn't. I mean even that idiot Linehan was crying about Bulger holding the ball to long. Complaining that Bulger was taking to many sacks instead of throwing the ball away. Also how many sacks are on a runningback or tightend not picking up a blitzer? Again I really feel like only the coaching staff and players have a real grip on how good or bad our line is.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Best thread Ive read in a while.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i would definitely agree that the o-line has improved. that said, cogs is gone and barron will likely be cut if we can't find a trade partner for him, so there is still work to be done, particularly at rg and rt.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by molar_pistol View Post
    i would definitely agree that the o-line has improved. that said, cogs is gone and barron will likely be cut if we can't find a trade partner for him, so there is still work to be done, particularly at rg and rt.
    Cogs is indeed gone, but Barron isn't likely to be dealt this season as we need him on the line as of now, and due to the uncapped year he can be retained for a really low price. Baron will be a Ram in 2010. But yes, our line definitely could still use an upgrade but as of now I still deem it serviceable with Brown, Smith, Bell, Greco, Barron, Fraley, Setterstrom, Goldberg. Look for us to spend at least 1 draft pick on the offensive line.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

It's the old "the offensive line stinks" argument when you don't really know why the offense stunk up the joint. At mid-season, the Rams offensive line is very good. It didn't start the season that way and they struggled through the finish but for about 8 games, they were pretty solid.

Add a full-time Jason Smith and I'd like to see Goldberg at RG and it's my opinion this offensive line can be significantly better than average. I'd love to see the Rams draft a RT in the 3rd round if one fits the system.

BEER is offline Registered User

How about penalty yards for Richie and Alex. We spent alot of time on the
    field going backwards and at crucial times in the game. Do they have a stat for that..?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    How about penalty yards for Richie and Alex. We spent alot of time on the
    field going backwards and at crucial times in the game. Do they have a stat for that..?
    Alex Barron was penalized 11 times for 80 yards; Richie Incognito was penalized 7 times for 85 yards during his time with the Rams in 2009.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    It's the old "the offensive line stinks" argument when you don't really know why the offense stunk up the joint. At mid-season, the Rams offensive line is very good. It didn't start the season that way and they struggled through the finish but for about 8 games, they were pretty solid.

Add a full-time Jason Smith and I'd like to see Goldberg at RG and it's my opinion this offensive line can be significantly better than average. I'd love to see the Rams draft a RT in the 3rd round if one fits the system.
    Are you the only guy who knows why the offense stunk? I watched every game and not one game did I say wow the Rams offensive line looks very good. Just because the sack numbers were down did not make them solid. I mean i saw a offensive line that still couldnt figure out how to pick up blitzes and looked lost a lot and it wasnt just in the last 8 games either. Our qb's whether is was Bulger or Boller or even Null were not very often afforded a lot of time to sit back there and wait for guys to get open. You want to see a qb that gets a lot of time watch Donovan Mcnabb sometimes that guy stands back there for like 6 seconds. Seemed like on numerous occasions our qb's had to get the ball out as soon as it hit their hands to avoid getting killed. Not to mention Jackson fighting just to get out of the backfiled. It's amazing Jackson had the year he had.

So maybe I don't know why the offense was bad unlike you but I didnt think there was a huge improvement in the o-line play from 08 to 09. Jackson's average per carry the last three years were 4.2,4.1 and 4.4. So it's not like he wasnt averaging over 4 yds per carry behind the atrocious o-lines we have had. He has found a way to overcome their shortcomings. Like I said there was a little improvement but in no way did I find the o-line to be solid. Sack stats are only one of many stats that make up a good o-line. One being watching the game and actually getting to see your qb go through all the reads before getting drilled and Bulger got hit a lot right when he was releasing the ball. I actually cringed sometimes watching him and seeing as he released the ball getting killed way too many times. That is not supposed to happen. So you can give me all the sack stats you want im not buying that they were remotely solid. They were below average to average all year long.

That's another thing that annoys me. Nick posted the penalty yard stats above but that doesnt even tell the whole story. I'd much rather take an Alex Barron false start penalty then a penalty by our other linemen after Jackson gains fourty yds. Those yds should be calculated into how many yds each lineman cost this team.
    Last edited by rammiser; -03-18-2010 at 12:57 AM.
    Just Fix It

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I watched every game, and i can truthfully say that the offensive line was very good in the win against Detroit, especially the right hand side and Jason Brown, and especially when it came to run blocking

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I watched every game, and i can truthfully say that the offensive line was very good in the win against Detroit, especially the right hand side and Jason Brown, and especially when it came to run blocking
    So they looked very good against the second worst team in the NFL? Not exactly a ringing endorsement,
    Just Fix It

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    So they looked very good against the second worst team in the NFL? Not exactly a ringing endorsement,
    How many games did you attend? Where are your season tickets? Unless you watch games in person, it's pretty much impossible to give a real opinion about the play of anyone but the QB and RB.

Since you know a lot, which players should we just go ahead and cut right now on that offensive line? Yeah / nay on each. After all if they are so horrible, keeping these guys would be a waste.

Jason Smith?
    Jacob Bell
    Jason Brown
    Adam Goldberg
    Alex Barron

That's probably our starting lineup. Which should we cut and exactly why?

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Since 2006 Bulgers completion percentage has dropped 6 percent. Is that all on Bulger or does the o-line and wr's contribute?
    It depends on who you ask and if they like Bulger or not. the bottom line is there are people on this forum that despise Bulger, and people that adore him. The despisers are not going to cut him any slack at all. EVERYTHING from WWI to Global warming is going to be his fault. Let alone the Rams going to hell as a team. After all, as has been pointed out in the past, Bulger is supposed to do his own snapping, blocking, running, catching, and scoring. Then stay on the field to block, tackle, intercept, return, and run back.

The adorers on the other hand are convinced that everyone around him has hung him out to dry.

Personally I blame the ENTIRE organization for the current state of the Rams and NO ONE PERSON ANYWHERE is completely to blame. there are some specific individuals who are doing everything they can to turn things around, but this is a team game and the whole team is responsible whether they win, lose, or draw.

So if this thread is supposed to be about the o-line, let it be about the o-line and leave Bulger out of it.

rob6465 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Well Peoria, just how many quickly developed plays did every quarterback in the league execute is one thing you'd have to find out. How many quickly developed plays we've done in years pass is another thing that you'd need to find out to compare that to this year.

For all the short dump offs and quick slants, we've taken a reasonable amount of shots down field or waited in the pocket to attempt. My point is no more than the average QB in the league and what I'm gathering from your response is your simply grasping at straws and nitpicking now.

They don't and I doubt they could list passing yards/attempt, as in how man yards did a QB attempt to throw for as he didn't even get to throw the ball yet...

And how could switching to quicker develping plays mean we have a bad line? Perhaps that's what you do in a West Coast Offense? I thought so....
    Thanks for posting these stats. I like Bulger and people don't realize that in 2006 he had the 3rd-4th best stats of ALL Quaterbacks. I say draft a QB and let Bulger start and groom the QB for 1-2 yrs as we get better. Surround that young QB with weapons and we will be ok. ``````

rob6465 is offline Registered User

i live in Houston, Texas and hear Texan fans killing Carr and they killed him when he was QB here but in the year(2005) that he broke the sacked record he had stats comparable to Michael Vick and Mcnabb, while being the QB of a team that was in the league only 3 yrs.
    Last edited by rob6465; -03-19-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    How many games did you attend? Where are your season tickets? Unless you watch games in person, it's pretty much impossible to give a real opinion about the play of anyone but the QB and RB.

Since you know a lot, which players should we just go ahead and cut right now on that offensive line? Yeah / nay on each. After all if they are so horrible, keeping these guys would be a waste.

Jason Smith?
    Jacob Bell
    Jason Brown
    Adam Goldberg
    Alex Barron

That's probably our starting lineup. Which should we cut and exactly why?
    So your telling me unless I have season tickets I cant tell when the qb or running back are not afforded proper protection LOL. Then I guess I'm not allowed to ever comment on this subject because I'm not at the games.

By the way there are two guys on the line that shouldnt be starting Bell and Goldberg in my opinion. Bell is a rediculous underachiever and Goldberg is nothing more than a back-up who can play multiple positions. You really know what Jason Smith is? I don't because he didnt get a whole lot of playing time at LT before his injury. Maybe you have to have season tickets to know how good Smith is though.

On another note I never said I know a lot, I do however hate when you post that people who think our o-line isnt very good and you say those people don't know what they are talking about. My opinion is that our o-line is avererage to below average not horrible. It could definately be better however. Am I supposed to agree with those of you who seemed to be satisfied with how the o-line played last year. We won 1 stinking game and it wasnt solely because of quarterback play. I was no where near satisfied with how the o-line performed last year. Sure it was a little improved from the year before but I dont think they were solid. Could they be solid? Sure the potential is there. Could they be average to bleow average again of course they can. Just like Bell landing a huge contract then stinking it up his first year. He did improve his second year but I wouldnt call him solid.

Watching the Rams game it seems most of the free flying defensive lineman are slipping through right up the gut. This is why I never thought Cogs was very good because a lot of pressure was coming through him and through Bell. I'm not just talking blitzers either I'm talking defensive lineman. This o-line has a lot of improving to do before they can be called solid.

So I don't claim to know a lot as you suggested I just claim to have opinions that's all.
    Just Fix It

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast