Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RamDez

Thread: How Can EJ Dome Cpmpete with My Den

zgare is offline Registered User

How Can EJ Dome Cpmpete with My Den

Ok, the folks stranded on the boat stuck in the ice at Antarctica have phone and WiFi and are uploading to YouTube etc.

But AT&T is incapable of providing service to my AT&T plan phones in the dome unless I leave the seating area and stand near a window somewhere. And forget any kind of WIFi in the dome. My wife's Verizon phone works fine in the dome.

My AT&T plan phone works fine In front of my big screen TV for football at home.

Since we will be using the dome for many more years without the massive improvement proposed by both the Rams and CVC, what simple things could they do to attract fans away from their HD TVs and to the stadium, besides the obvious answer of "win more games"?

I would still like to see some minor improvements such as internet access. The scoreboard programming was greatly improved this year. I would still like to see the hanging video screen proposed by CVC. Maybe it could broadcast the Fox feed as they do in the club and suite areas. This would take some negotiation with the Rams and CVC to share cost, but would cost a fraction of the earlier upgrade plans. What else would lure you from you TV?

ZGare

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: How Can EJ Dome Cpmpete with My Den

Strong lurker, Lol.

I would tend to think people should be off of their cell phones while watching the games. Reception is bad probably because of all the equipment in there causing a lot of interference.

The obvious answer you provided is in my opinion, the only way. Winning seasons. That or if they make tickets free, which will never happen.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

I'll buy season tickets if the RAMS will provide the airfare.

gap

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Strong lurker, Lol.

I would tend to think people should be off of their cell phones while watching the games. Reception is bad probably because of all the equipment in there causing a lot of interference.

The obvious answer you provided is in my opinion, the only way. Winning seasons. That or if they make tickets free, which will never happen.
    So you are saying equipment interferes with AT&T phones but not Verizon? I don't think that's it. And you can't tell me that other domed stadiums, like Jerry's world, have no access. There are lots and lots of stoppages in plays -- mainly for TV timeouts. Not to mention halftime. Those are the times when it would be nice to check up on stats and progress of other games around the league with my smartphone or WiFi. And when some strange call or strange play happens, we folks in the stands can't figure out what happened without checking Google or something online.

Do the Rams and CVC want fans to come to the Stadium, or not? All that posturing about $700 million upgrades was predicated by the Rams contention that the stadium experience for the fans was closer to the bottom of the NFL than the top. So since then, they've done nothing -- so they apparently want to keep the experience at the bottom and encourage fans to watch from home.
    Last edited by zgare; -12-31-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    ZGare

On another forum, someone posted this. Looks like the NFL will require all stadia to have good WiFi and cell coverage by the 2015 season.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jou...NFL-WiFi.aspx?
    ZGare

heff is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by zgare View Post
    Ok, the folks stranded on the boat stuck in the ice at Antarctica have phone and WiFi and are uploading to YouTube etc.

But AT&T is incapable of providing service to my AT&T plan phones in the dome unless I leave the seating area and stand near a window somewhere. And forget any kind of WIFi in the dome. My wife's Verizon phone works fine in the dome.

My AT&T plan phone works fine In front of my big screen TV for football at home.

Since we will be using the dome for many more years without the massive improvement proposed by both the Rams and CVC, what simple things could they do to attract fans away from their HD TVs and to the stadium, besides the obvious answer of "win more games"?

I would still like to see some minor improvements such as internet access. The scoreboard programming was greatly improved this year. I would still like to see the hanging video screen proposed by CVC. Maybe it could broadcast the Fox feed as they do in the club and suite areas. This would take some negotiation with the Rams and CVC to share cost, but would cost a fraction of the earlier upgrade plans. What else would lure you from you TV?

So, Verizon works, and AT&T doesn't... Clearly, the Rams owe it to you to satiate your teenage girl compulsion to check your phone.

tiger1971 is offline Registered User

Not quite the same size as the EJ Dome but the KC Stadium in East Yorkshire provides free wifi to all fans.

KC (Kingston Communications) Stadium, Hull

Capacity is around 25,500 with average attendance of around 23,500 at the moment.

It can be done.

I always struggled with my mobile (cell) reception at the stadium but the wifi is pretty good now.

Hull, Yorkshire & England

Quote Originally Posted by heff View Post
    So, Verizon works, and AT&T doesn't... Clearly, the Rams owe it to you to satiate your teenage girl compulsion to check your phone.
    Ha! I took my 17-year-old daughter to the last Rams game in the dome, you are dead on that this is part of their fan base they may want to keep. With lots of dead time due to TV time-outs, and no way to find out what the heck just happened on the field, providing some access to the outside world is one way the Rams could try to catch up with making the dome experience nearly as good as TV.
    ZGare

Truth is offline Registered User

I think the EJD might wait to make any upgrades until they know more about the Rams future in the building. This was NOT meant as a "Rams are moving to L.A." comment. I'm just saying that no one is sure that the Rams will remain in the Ed, or that there won't be an agreement on upgrades. WAAAAYYY too much still up in the air, and the CVC is strapped for cash.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Celtic Park in Glasgow offer free wi-fi and the capacity there is 60,832
    Truth likes this.