Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

How can you take an OT so high in the draft and then not start him?

It makes no sense at all!!!!

The Rams needed an OT. Nobody would argue with that.

So they drafted one in the first round. Took a guy who has all the physical tools, played at a big time college program, and was highly rated before the draft.

Sure, he didn't sign as early as we would have liked, but the guy should have been pretty much ready to go by day 1, right?

It just ticks me off...

We have all this money invested in a No. 1 pick and he's sitting on the sidelines for the first two games of the season.

Makes me wonder if he'll ever pan out!!!!

Why?!!?!?!?

Why is he sitting!?!?!?!

Why isn't Orlando Pace starting right now!!!!!!!

The preceding "post" is what I suspect would have been written on Ram message boards everywhere during Orlando Pace's rookie season... that is, if there had been message boards at that time.

Orlando Pace didn't start until the fifth game of his rookie year.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Re: How can you take an OT so high in the draft and then not start him?

I Agree I don’t care if he struggles all season and never makes the starting lineup. I don’t think that going to happen but I would not care if it did. I don’t expect him to be ready to start until next year. If he starts this year its a bonus. I will never second-guess this pick. If the draft were today I would still pick him today in that spot even with what we know today. If this guy never starts a game in the NFL I would not second-guess the FO because he has potential and plays a key position that we need help at for years to come

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

The guy hasn't played in an NFL game yet.

He couldn't make his flight to report on time (after signing).

So, let's not make him Orlando Pace yet.

AND if we go back to April and May posts, it was said over and over here that he'd be an instant starter we could plug into ORT and he'd be a fixture for the next 10 years.
    That certainly didn't happen, so let's not make him an All-Pro before he gets to play a down.

Last edited by Tony Soprano; -09-24-2005 at 06:30 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Seems to me that some people think that the only categories of players are "All-Pros" and "busts."

coy bacon is offline Registered User

You've always had a flair for the dramatic Av. The sham outrage demonstrated about yet another touchy topic is familiar. As I read, eye thought, "Ok, what's his punch line? He doesn't care about Barron not starting that much."

True to form.....

It made me smile.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Seems to me that some people think that the only categories of players are "All-Pros" and "busts."
    Man you are going to make me agree with you twice in one day.
    I agree people are saying BUST or PROBOWL.
    Thatís what I was saying with Hargrove he is not PROBOWL like he was hyped in the off-season. Not yet at least.

BUST takes at least a year to prove.
    PROBOWL takes at least a year of starting to prove.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Better Be Careful Av Your Going To Get All The Martz Lovers Panties In A Bunch.you Know His Supporters Say If King Mikey Says He Shouldnt Play And That Standing On The Sidelines Watching Is Going To Make Him A Better Player Then Who Are We To Disagree With The Great One Mike Martz. Wasnt It Mr. Martz Who Proclaimed Him The Starter Before He Even Signed And Because He Missed Some Practices Hes Going To Stay On The Sidelines All Year, I Guess Hes Right Our O-line Is So Great And We Are Dropping 4o+ Points A Game On Everyone And Bulger Doesnt Get Sacked,yea Keep Barron On The Sidelines.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Its just the way our stupid FO is.
    RamsFan16

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Its just the way our stupid FO is.
    When you make a statement like this, please give us a reason why you think so. Who should the Rams have drafted at that spot, genius? Why should we start someone who could get Bulger injured? What does it hurt having him learn the offense slowly?

Ever since you got here you've done nothing but make one sentence posts with nothing of substance in them. You wanna post with the big boys, post like the big boys.

This is ClanRam, not the PD or 'Official' Rams boards. How about some thought to your posts?

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Gotta agree with Ziggy on this one. Rebel, your post smacks of the insipid babbling of the Bush-bashing crowd. If you're going to criticize the FO for not starting Barron, do it with some thought and substance, not a Valleygirl-esque, "The FO, man, they're like, totally way, way, stupid."

rebel13 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    Gotta agree with Ziggy on this one. Rebel, your post smacks of the insipid babbling of the Bush-bashing crowd. If you're going to criticize the FO for not starting Barron, do it with some thought and substance, not a Valleygirl-esque, "The FO, man, they're like, totally way, way, stupid."
    Rebel?? A freudian slip?

general counsel is offline Registered User

What makes the analogy even more appropriate is that Pace was the #1 overall pick in the draft and Barron #19.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Gotta love watching a 20 year old tell off a 16 year old. Funny stuff ZigZag. Keep the youngsters in line.

Geez Rebel, how did you get to be so in the red? Not very popular here I see.

Oh by the way, I am not too concerned with Barron not starting right now. He put himself in the dog house because he was all about the money and the contract and he did not want to go to training camp. He has had a very slow start and that is his fault and let's hope that Bulger does not pay the price in the mean time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I Think We Got Off The Subject A Bit, The Front Office Is Fine, Its Weather Barron Can Get Better And Learn Standing On The Sidelines, He Cant, College guys Say The Biggest Adjustment To The Pro Game Is The Speed, You Cant Work On That Standing Still And Watching From The Bench,my Question Is Will You Guys Be Ok When He Makes "rookie" Mistakes In His Second Season.i Think Barron Is Going To Be Very Good And At This Point Better Then What We Have There Now,hes Going To Make Mistakes,so Give Him Some Help,he Will Be Ok.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -09-25-2005 at 12:37 PM.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Barron was great in college. I watch several vids of him, and was impressed. I'm not in a panic because he isn't on the field yet. Our offense is complicated...very complicated. Over half of the current NFL players would have trouble understanding Martz's plays. When you send someone out there that isn't ready, bad things happen. Bulger gets sacked, fumbles and turnovers happen, dogs and cats living together, gas prices go up, and cockroaches gain a strategic advantage in thier plot to take over the world.
    OK, maybe that was a bit much...but until Barron's ready, if he goes on the field, our offense will suffer. Plays won't go as planned. Sacks will happen. Someone may have a season-ending injury.
    It isn't all Barron's fault, either. Put 90% of the blame on his agent. Either way, when he is ready, he will be there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast