sosa39rams is offline Registered User

How to create more cap room

Right now nobody really knows how much under the cap we are. I've read two different numbers several times (12 million, and 35 million). Obviously I hope its the 35 million because that gives us much more breathing room in attaining players in free agency. I believe we will make a few moves to create a bit more cap room.

A.J Feeley was brought in to come teach Sam Bradford the mechanics about the West Coast offense. Now that we've switched offensive coordinators we will no longer use the west coast offense. This means that A.J Feeley is basically useless at this point. Last years pre-season I though Thaddeus Lewis outplayed him and I'd feel comfortable with Lewis at the number 2 spot because he brings something totally different to our offense. A.J Feeley is due $2.25 million dollars next year which is basically a waste. I feel we can create some cap room here by getting rid of him.

James Butler came along with the Spagnuolo regime. His play does not reflect his salary. He is clearly getting over paid and it needs to be fixed in my opinion. We have two options here: If Spags still believes in him, he can restructure his contract to something more suitable, or we can release him. Some want to re-structure because he is the closest thing we have to a veteran in the secondary which now some seem to think is a weakness. Butler is due $3 million dollars next season. I believe it is best for both sides if we went our seperate ways, though Spags and Devaney may feel different.

Jacob Bell was signed by the Rams in 2008. He signed a 6 year $36 million dollar deal. He is due $6 million dollars next season. When we signed him, he was playing at a pro bowl level. His play has slowly become worse. At this point, we absolutely have to restructure his contract because he hasn't deserved this type of money for the last 3 seasons. Also, we have tons of money tied up in the offensive line. I dont see releasing him as an option because we have a hole at the other Guard spot and releasing Bell would just create a big problem.

These 3 moves I believe will create some space for us to sign another starter in free agency. The business part of football can be cruel at times, though when being paid big bucks you have to preform big. I think we should do all three of these moves, though I am sure we all have different opinions, and at the end of the day, Devaney and Spags will take care of business.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: How to create more cap room

you cut feely you need to find another backup QB who will probably be paid a similar amount of money

Butler is currently starting for us and unless Spags wants to change that 3 mil is more than reasonable

I'm not sure about the savings we would get by cutting Bell. I'm not sure how much money he is guaranteed and the Rams are dangerously thin at guard anyway.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    you cut feely you need to find another backup QB who will probably be paid a similar amount of money

Butler is currently starting for us and unless Spags wants to change that 3 mil is more than reasonable

I'm not sure about the savings we would get by cutting Bell. I'm not sure how much money he is guaranteed and the Rams are dangerously thin at guard anyway.
    I dont think you read my article with clarity. I said I feel comfortable with Thaddeus Lewis at #2 and that means Taylor Potts or someone else at #3. Therefore no, we dont have to spend $3 million, probably 400,000.

Butler is not currently starting because last season our starters were Craig Dahl and O.J Atogwe with Darian Stewart coming off the bench. So no, 3 million is not more than reasonable.

And I said I dont want to cut Bell, I want to restructure his contract.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I dont think you read my article with clarity. I said I feel comfortable with Thaddeus Lewis at #2 and that means Taylor Potts or someone else at #3. Therefore no, we dont have to spend $3 million, probably 400,000.

Butler is not currently starting because last season our starters were Craig Dahl and O.J Atogwe with Darian Stewart coming off the bench. So no, 3 million is not more than reasonable.

And I said I dont want to cut Bell, I want to restructure his contract.
    No way the coaches are comfortable with Lewis as the back he is young UDFA who spent most of the season on the practice squad. Potts also hasn't proven anything he is also an UDFA. They would definitely be more comfortable with the vet

Now that Mikel is here I wouldn't be surprised if Butler get cut

Restructuring Bell is fine with me, but the question is will he want to?

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Who should we sign for backup QB then? I was thinking of Matt Moore but I'm slowly starting to feel more comfortable with Lewis as our backup. We'll have to wait and see how they pan out in the preseason and don't be surprised if McD is capable of maximizing Feeley's potential like what he did with Orton.

Seeing Butler's fiasco last season, I'd prefer to release the guy, he is not worth $3 mil. Our depth chart at safety should include Mikell/Stewart/Hines/Dahl/Michael Lewis?

Our best bet is that Jacob Bell should restructure his contract to something lower with a $6 mil clause if he were to play in his Pro Bowl form this season but releasing him will risk create a bigger hole in the guard spot.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

You'd be comfortable with Lewis until he had to play, then suddenly it would be like where is the vet backup to our young qb? I'd rather keep AJ.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Yes Keep AJ. He is pretty competent with running our offense and remember, we are going to have a really tough schedule with alot of physical teams this year. Chances are alot more likely Bradford could get injured for a bit so it would be nice to have Feely there knowing he knows how to run this offense. Although if Lewis was given reps, confidence and experience I think he has potential from what I've seen in pre season games. I like him alot. maybe next year?

berg8309 is offline Registered User

How to create more capspace:

Step 1: Steal underpants

Step 2: ???????

Step 3: Profit!...and more cap space.