r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

How Did The Rams Get This Bad?

How did the Rams get this bad?

Columnist Jeff Gordon
    By Jeff Gordon
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    11/30/2009

The Rams are 1-10 and racing toward 1-15, with little hope of actually winning another football game.

If this team couldn’t beat the reeling Seahawks at home, then you can't expect it to beat anybody left on its schedule.

The thoroughness of their futility is stunning. How did the Rams get THIS bad?

Four predominant factors are to blame:

1. To speed up the rebuilding process, the Rams football operation unloaded much of the remaining big-money veteran talent.

From the end of last season into the middle of this season, the Rams cashiered tackle Orlando Pace, receiver Torry Holt, receiver Dane Looker, linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa, defensive tackle La’Roi Glover, linebacker Chris Draft, cornerback Tye Hill, safety Corey Chavous, linebacker Will Witherspoon and others.

True, many of those guys played their way off the team. But that is a LOT of veteran talent to lose in such a short period of time.

2. Once again, the Rams suffered an inordinate number of costly injuries.

The offensive line was coming together nicely this season, but tackle Jason Smith, guard Richie Incognito and center Jason Brown all went down. Once again, the Rams are forced to use a patchwork approach up front.

Rookie cornerback Fletcher Bradley was emerging as a solid “press” coverage player, but he suffered a catastrophic knee injury. Quarterback Marc Bulger, receiver Keenan Burton, receiver Laurent Robinson, defensive tackle Adam Carriker, receiver Brooks Foster, defensive end C.J. Ah You . . . the list of casualties goes on and on, with new victims appearing on the injured list every week.

3. The Rams lacked the depth to withstand all these losses.

For a variety of reasons, this franchise failed to build and maintain a critical mass of talent in recent years. As the Greatest Show on Turf aged, the Rams failed to develop viable replacements.

The Rams became stunningly deficient in almost every area. They didn’t have worthy prospects ready to replace all the departing veterans. And when injuries hit, general manager Billy Devaney was forced to fetch fill-ins off practice squads and off the street.

As a result, this season has turned into an extended training camp with youngsters and fringe veterans coming and going at a dizzying rate.

4. The Rams embarked on this massive rebuilding project with inexperienced leadership.

From the top of the organization on down, the key leaders are learning on the job. Devaney, president Kevin Demoff, head coach Steve Spagnulo, offensive coordinator Pat Shumur and defensive coordinator Ken Flajole all possess more responsibility than they have ever had before.

It’s safe to say they have all experienced growing pains during this disastrous season.

I still believe these men are following the proper blueprint -- but as colleague Bernie Miklasz reminds us in his column, we haven’t seen actual progress on the field.

Yes, injuries are an issue, as Spagnuolo noted during Sunday’s news conference. So is the relative inexperience of so many players. So is the dearth of proven talent.

But the men in charge of this football operation still must find ways to get some results. They just do. Hopes and wishes don’t sell tickets or further careers. Only on-field success can do that.

So where does the franchise go from here?

One solution could come through the sale of the franchise. The next ownership group would assess the state of the franchise, establish a new plan of action and make the appropriate changes.

Presumably, the next ownership group will put a strong football man at the top of the organizational chart and go from there.

If the franchise doesn’t gain new ownership during the next few months, then the current leadership must learn from this struggle and overhaul the entire operation. Everything should be up for re-evaluation.

Yes, the Rams cleared a lot of dead weight off the roster. Yes, the team sped up the learning process for a lot of young players. Those are positives.

But the losing atmosphere remains. The Rams still haven’t gained a new identity. The biggest challenges remain unmet.

The Rams cannot stay on their current course. While it still has the power to make changes, the current regime must act quickly and decisively.

“We’ve got five more games this season and hopefully we can put together five good ones,” defensive end Chris Long told reporters after the game. “All that matters is the next snap and we’ve got to have that mentality because nobody is going to dig us out of this hole accept ourselves.”

eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: How Did The Rams Get This Bad?

The Rams cannot stay on their current course. While it still has the power to make changes, the current regime must act quickly and decisively
    Hum!! I wonder what changes is he talking about except getting more talented players on the roster?
    :ramlogo:

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Total rebuilding takes time. "REAL" fans will hang in there but the wishy washy bandwagon jumpers will all be gone if they're not already.

1 win out of 11 games is hard to swallow even for us "REAL" fans. It would be nice if we pulled off an upset or two but I wouldn't count on it this season.

My outlook is that "BETTER DAYS ARE COMING". Whenever that is I'll still be here!!!

GO RAMS!!!!!!!!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

It is frustrating to watch this team continue to free fall, but with a starting point this year of the mess left by Shawgmunt and Linehan, a new coaching staff , a depleted talent pool and the continued insane injury merry-go-round, what else could really be expected? Even with a healthy team, 6-7 wins was the best we were probably going to see anyway.

We're just going to have to be patient, however painful that may seem. We can't stay snakebitten too much longer, can we??

ram3057 is offline Registered User

My outlook is that "BETTER DAYS ARE COMING". Whenever that is I'll still be here!!!
    And so will I.

Having been a fan of the team all of my life - like a number of you - I have come to expect bad times mixed in with good times.

Unfortunately, the RAMS have had more than their share of bad times.

Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I tell you what though, next year this team and this regime do NOT get the same free pass they got this year. Results must be better.

maineram is offline Registered User

Bad drafts, bad drafts & BAD DRAFTS, got us in this position. Not knowing what to do with the pics we made with the staff we had didn't help much.

Pre- Dick Vermeil type drafts & staff.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

whose Fletcher Bradley?

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Ha this is funny, me and my friend were just talking about this. We were looking to see when Drew Brees was drafted, it was 2001. That brought back some wretched memories. We have had bad drafts, but I truly believe that had we got this one right, we would be a dynasty right now, maybe on the downside like the Pats, but a dynasty still the same. However we missed on our picks, and now here we are...

If you don't know, we had three first round picks in 2001, THREE! We drafted Ryan Pickett, Damione Lewis, and Adam Archuleta. Ok so I like arch as much as the next guy, and pickett and lewis both became solid player outside of stl, however when you look at the draft as a whole, it really is disgusting. We selected two DT in the first, out of a draft class that had Richard Seymour, Marcus Stroud, Kris Jenkins, Casey Hampton, and Shaun Rogers. Let that settle for a second, you almost have to be trying not to pick a superstar DT out of that draft. We did it twice.

Of course hindsight is 20-20, however when asking the question how did the Rams get this bad, I direct people right to that 2001 draft.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Ha this is funny, me and my friend were just talking about this. We were looking to see when Drew Brees was drafted, it was 2001. That brought back some wretched memories. We have had bad drafts, but I truly believe that had we got this one right, we would be a dynasty right now, maybe on the downside like the Pats, but a dynasty still the same. However we missed on our picks, and now here we are...

If you don't know, we had three first round picks in 2001, THREE! We drafted Ryan Pickett, Damione Lewis, and Adam Archuleta. Ok so I like arch as much as the next guy, and pickett and lewis both became solid player outside of stl, however when you look at the draft as a whole, it really is disgusting. We selected two DT in the first, out of a draft class that had Richard Seymour, Marcus Stroud, Kris Jenkins, Casey Hampton, and Shaun Rogers. Let that settle for a second, you almost have to be trying not to pick a superstar DT out of that draft. We did it twice.

Of course hindsight is 20-20, however when asking the question how did the Rams get this bad, I direct people right to that 2001 draft.
    it doesn't end there though C. sadly, the 2001 draft is only 1 bad draft among many. the 2005 draft is another that quickly comes to mind. i think there's what... maybe 1 guy from that class still on the team? sad sad sad

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by maineram View Post
    Bad drafts, bad drafts & BAD DRAFTS, got us in this position. Not knowing what to do with the pics we made with the staff we had didn't help much.

Pre- Dick Vermeil type drafts & staff.

Maineram -
    Your post answers every Question. From 2000 to 2008 Martz and liny, have
    dug a hole so huge its going to take a few years to dig us out.
    But i will still be a Ram fan till I die!..