Unsigned for '08, on the team:
    Romberg
    Stuessie
    Brown
    Gorin
    Fry
    McCollum
    Petitti

Is there anyone serviceable out of this group??

I am looking at this...and I don't know if I have any sort of answers. It is kind of scary to think of kind of shape we are in right now.

Varg6 is online now Registered User

Re: How do we fix the O-Line next year??

We need some free agents and some seriously good draftees...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The real issue is going to be whether, by draft day, Pace has made enough progress in his rehab for the Rams to feel comfortable that he will ready to go by opening day in 2008. If the answer is yes, I think the Rams should focus on the pass rush in Round 1 of the draft (C.Long) and look for an interior lineman in Round 2. If, on the other hand, Pace's progress is not such that the Rams have that confidence level, they may have to consider going with an OT either in Round 1 (J.Long) or Round 2 (though, if they wait until Round 2, I'd probably look for the kind of player who could play OG as a rookie if Pace gets healthy).

The center spot is also a concern. I would sure like to see what we have in Dustin Fry before we go and spend a Day 1 draft choice on that spot, though.

All of that said, if you ask me where I'd like to spend FA $, I'd say at the OG spot. Target: Faneca.

maineram is offline Registered User

I would say we're in with the signed group or take a cap hit to unload any of them, (Pace, Barron). Setterstrom and Incognito are still young and somewhat unproven but have some nice potential. I think we need to sign a free agent or two, and not just anyone, but a proven or 3-4 year player that can come in and compete for a starting job right away, ( see Timmerman). We also must hit big in the draft on some depth, and /or future starter but not in the first round. We need young wideout that can really stretch the field, or another SKILL type player with our first pick seeing that we will be picking pretty early on this year. Got to take the opportunity to grab one of those when your picking so early as we will be next year.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Obviously keep all under contract and renew Romberg, Steussie, Fry, and maybe one more. I like Romberg and Steussie, and Fry is worth another year's look at this point. Draft one or two more, and bring in a FA or two.

I think McCollum is great, but it's time to retire like Timmerman. We should be able to find someone better than the rest of them.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Barron is a big issue for me as well as the center spot. Could we try to move Setterstrom over to the middle?

Barron is weak and not come along as I hoped. Pace has become a liability with staying healthy and acts as though he doesn't care. Incognito has a severe attitude problem that might be bringing down the entire works.

Maybe blow the whole damn thing up.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

As for the Faneca idea... he's a mercenary. He's going to whomever pays him the most. He's over 30, but guards can last a while past 30, but I'm not sure if he'll be worth the huge sum it'll take to get him. If we do, there better be some incentives such as team sacks or Bulger in the pro bowl or some team running/passing stats.

wanderer is offline Registered User

Fry is listed in the unsigned for 08 column. did we really sign Fry to a 1 year rookie contract? I thought we signed him for 3 or 4 years.

Rambos is online now Registered User

LT-Pace
    LG- Faneca
    C-Incognito
    RG-Setterstrom
    LT-Barron

Romberg
    Stuessie
    Fry

Add two rookies 1st ,2nd or 3rd round maybe sign a vet for depth. Pace is the key for me if he goes down again he is done and so are we.
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-28-2007 at 11:13 PM.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

The biggest variable in all of this of course is health. That being guaranteed, and I'd agree that Pace is the block around which the other positions must be built, then I'd say that we have to have a really good look at the interior line positions.

I think we saw enough toward the end of last season to suggest that we have some young talent here. Romberg, Setterstrom and Incognito meshed well over the last six games or so and should be given the opportunity to build on that next season. Dustin Fry was well regarded coming out of Clemson even if he did have a disappointing camp so it'll be good to see if he kicks on or not.

I'd like to see a nice free-agent signing here though. People have mentioned Faneca and the thought of him doesn't upset me any, but I would say that it will take a signing of that calibre to provide the competition and depth that this season has proven that we need.

Pace is a given, his health and atitude have to be a question mark here though. Barron is beginning to demonstrate why there was were so many concerns about him coming out of college, but I feel that there's enough there to keep him where he is for the short term. We wouldn't seem to have any ready-made alternatives at RT.

In terms of the draft I'd like to see us invest a couple of picks from rounds 2-4 in the o-line. I would agree that the pass rush has to see another first rounder invested in it, although a move to the 3-4 alignment could see this pick invested in a 'backer. In any case the D should receive that first round pick.

So, I think that a nice FA signing followed by a couple of new faces in the draft would be a nice way of addressing some of our needs here and providing Bulger and Jackson with the space and time they need to get our offence moving. I think the focus has to be on the interior line this next off-season with a look at the tackle spots the season after.

There's my two cents for what its worth.

Varg6 is online now Registered User

It is hard to say considering we don't jump on the big free-agents...Not to say they cure everything but they more likely than not, help. So, I'd like to see what kind of progress we make with free agency as well. What kind of guys are on the free agent market this year? Pace is also to be considered whether or not he is healthy too. There are so many factors to consider, but I know one thing...The guys we got right now, the 1-year contract players are just going to eat up our cap if we sign them...Unless they're truly worth it of course then it won't really be costly.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Rambos is online now Registered User

Fat Pang nice take my brother rep for you.

Daspeerman is offline Registered User

I say we need a dominant Center, use our 2nd rounder on the biggest/best one avilable.
    DASPEERMAN!!!!!!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave intending on arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in hand, body thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Thanks for this thread. Turning around this team centers on having a Strong O-line.

Pace and maybe even Incognito need to be evaluated and I think one has to wonder if they can stay healthy - it needs to be thoroughly examined.

If Steussie and McCollum can make your team - you know you have a problem. Both are old as the hills and don't have the Power needed at this point in their career.

We need Strong, young Players to invigorate that Interior line (not 5th rounders either), however, the franchise is going to have to assure themselves that Pace can stay healthy while playing at a High level. If there are concerns with Pace's health, a Long term solution for the OLT becomes priority.

IMO, for way too long, the Rams used the late rounds for Guards and Centers - like an afterthought. We just screwed up on some picks - like Claude Terrell.

It seemed like for so many years, I was hoping the Rams would try to take the number 1 OG or C in the Draft with their second pick and they never did, the team was content to move along with McCollum and Timmerman when they were years past their prime.

It's time to remake that O-line, there's at least one Guard and one Center spot that needs upgrading. Pace needs to be medically evaluated and we need to upgrade the Depth of the Line.