View Poll Results: How would you handle Bradford's rookie year?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trial by Fire: If he's ready, let him start from Opening Day.

65 51.59%
  • Gradual Introduction: Play him a bit in early weeks with goal of having him start by mid-season.

51 40.48%
  • Redshirt: Let him sit and learn for a year.

10 7.94%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: How do you hope the Rams handle Bradford's rookie year?

I would like to sit him until after the bye week, but if the coaches think he is ready I think they will play him in the opener.

Edit: Also Sanchez was a mediocre QB last year. The jets won game on their defense and running game, Sanchez did not win them game. I am so damn tired of hearing people on these boards and on ESPN say "Well the Ram's passed on Sanchez last year." Ya we passed on a guy with almost a 2:1 Int to TD ratio on a great team, I cry myself to sleep at night thinking we could have had Sanchez. /rant
    Last edited by 01d 0rd3r; -04-28-2010 at 12:12 PM.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I agree with that completely. I don't think Sanchez is a great QB. In fact, I think Bradford will prove to be a much better QB.
    Damn, We are starting to agree on too many of the same things, Must be a change a coming. HaHa
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'd just add that Bradford has been out for most of one season already. I'd rather not keep him out for another one.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Trial by Fire. You can't seriously expect me to believe that a guy who couldn't vault past the 3rd String on Carolina the last two years is a better option than Bradford.

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

Tougher situation? I'll buy that. Less prepared? No way. Sanchez played one year at USC. He was pretty raw (as his TD/Int. ratio would indicate).
    The reason I quoted Mel Kiper was because I was the ONLY one who voted that he should sit a year. I realize it's probably the unpopular opinion, and just wanted to show I'm not the only one who thinks that.

I don't think Sanchez is anything near what Bradford will be. I don't even think Sanchez is going to be a good quarterback. But if you think Bradford will step in day 1 and play better football that Sanchez, you're going to be disappointed. Sanchez's team was playoff bound without him. We had a game where we got six first downs last year.

The Sooner offense looks to the sidelines for playcalling and reads. The USC offense was closer to an NFL offense. Sanchez played in about 20 games at USC, Bradford played in about 30 - so it's not a huge difference. I don't see many teams in the NFL do what the Sooners did every play looking to the sidelines like that.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

That whole "looking to the sidelines" thing they kept harping on is a joke. He would look to the sidelines to get the play. He still had to read the defense. They can't do that for him from the sideline.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Spags has repeatedly said that he and Shurmur favor the Philly method used with McNabb, ie ease him in, so that would be my guess as to what WILL happen.

A few of the many things that might change that include a terrific pre-season for any one of the QBs-I can't be the only fan curious to see what Null looks like with a full strength OL/WR corps in front of him & a healthy SJ behind him, can I?- or an injury but I think the biggest factor that no one has mentioned is how the OL ,esp @ OT, situation looks.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I say throw him to the wolves. The sooner (no pun intended) he hits the field the better.

GO RAMS!

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i hope they put him in as soon as he`s ready...but after that..should our O-line start to fall apart due to injuries again..i hope they take him out and keep him away from the kind of pounding our QB`s last year was subjected to.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If he's the best QB on the roster, play him. He'll take his lumps, but he'll be that much more ready in 2011.
    That's it in a nutshell for me .. If he shows by the end of camp and preseason that he is the best overall guy (derived from weighing all the positives and negatives of each QB by the coaching staff), then of course play him. Spags should start the QB he thinks will give the team the best chance of winning. I'm hoping it will be Sam. If not, there will be a couple of other guys to choose from ..

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

That whole "looking to the sidelines" thing they kept harping on is a joke. He would look to the sidelines to get the play. He still had to read the defense. They can't do that for him from the sideline.
    Sometimes they would get the play, and then re-look at the sidelines seconds later, which made me think there was some help in reading defenses. Maybe I'm looking too much into it. It still seems like more of a transition from that into the NFL than what Sanchez was doing at USC.

Expectations will be high when Bradford enters the game. Remember, even Peyton Manning had a rough rookie year. JaMarcus Russell got 2.5 years to show himself in Oakland. Vince Young got 2 years before getting booed off the field and benched for the Titans, and he was winning games and going to playoffs. Trial by fire turns quickly to burning at the stake.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Throw him in the fire. If he is playing behind the O-line of years past or he didn't have Steven Jackson I'd say let him sit for a bit. Bradford is an intelligent guy and he is committed and dedicated, I'm sure he has been reading the playbook every chance he gets. The best way to learn is through experience. I think the experience should start as soon as possible.

TheRammer Guest

Without a doubt we should gradually intro him into the lineup... o fcourse I think he'll be the best QB in the end of TC but we want to be careful from not throwing him into the fire and possibly mess up his confidence. We only get one shot at doing this right and I think Murmur will put him in like McNabb in his first year with the Eagles...
    The Sanchez spot and play would work great here.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

It all depends on the contract he's going to get. If he's making 2 million the first year sit him til he's ready. If he's making 6 mil or more its pretty hard to sit him.

I do believe rookies should sit and get caught up to NFL speed. Playing rookies of the bat is way more dangerous than not.
    Last edited by codeman123; -04-28-2010 at 06:08 PM.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I don't think 'trial by fire' is the smartest way to go, but I think it has to be done considering the fact we invested a number one pick on a left tackle last year. A Number one on Bradford this year, AND a number two on a tackle this year.
    Also, I don't think our O-line is anywhere near as bad as what it is has been made out to be. Bradford has probably the best running back in the league. And finally, Spag's butt probably depends on Bradford selling tickets and winning games.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast