View Poll Results: How would you handle Bradford's rookie year?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trial by Fire: If he's ready, let him start from Opening Day.

65 51.59%
  • Gradual Introduction: Play him a bit in early weeks with goal of having him start by mid-season.

51 40.48%
  • Redshirt: Let him sit and learn for a year.

10 7.94%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    TheRammer Guest

Re: How do you hope the Rams handle Bradford's rookie year?

I think It would be fair to let him sit the first 2 to 4 games and let him get to speed and build confidence and be anxious to get in there for sure.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I picked Trial By Fire.

But that's because it's just the closest to what I feel will happen.

IMO, what will happen is that Bradford will emerge from training camp as the clear cut first string QB, and he will show that he can start from Day One.

Charlie Casserly, when asked who he thought would start on Week One, Clausen or Bradford, stated "Clausen is a bit more pro ready due to the WCO at Notre Dame. But Bradford has much better skills and intangibles than Clausen, and by Week One, should have surpassed the little gap that Clausen once had on Bradford."

I think that he will be fine. But if for some reason the O-Line gets ruptured, and Bradford looks like he is taking too much pressure, put Feeley in.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

I say we start him throughout the preseason at least 3 quarters and start him in the first game sparingly. If the O-line is good enough to hold Arizona’s defense then by all means play him all game. If he is getting beat up, well pull him. We have other quarterbacks to take punishment.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    i hope they put him in as soon as he`s ready...but after that..should our O-line start to fall apart due to injuries again..i hope they take him out and keep him away from the kind of pounding our QB`s last year was subjected to.
    I felt sorry for Null at the end of the season last year. I felt he was the only QB brave enough to go out on the field at the end of the season. Boller just was scared.

I picked gradually play him. Let him start the remainder of the season after the Bye. Hopefully the O-line will have jelled with no injuries like last year. That would give him eight starts for the season.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

A Gradual Introduction, see how well our O-line can hold out and if they can go at least average, then let Bradford take the snaps.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

What I think will happen? Bradford gets playing time in every game eventually leading up to his start by AT LEAST week 8.

What I think we SHOULD do? That all depends on what Bradford does. If he shows a great grasp of plays and an offensive command. Then you start the best guy. Devaney and SPags has been a strong proponent of that philosophy. You play to win the game, so you play the best guy. If your guy can't beat out the best guy than he doesn't deserve to start, the best guy does. So that's who you start whether its Null, Feeley, or Brad.

Sitting for a year is a big no no to me personally. You can't learn to shoot a basket, ride a bike, or kick some a** by watchign other people do it. Let's just call it on the job experience.

Rams 2010

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If that's your opinion, so be it. But why quote Mel Kiper? Last time I checked, he never coached a team at any level.

Tougher situation? I'll buy that. Less prepared? No way. Sanchez played one year at USC. He was pretty raw (as his TD/Int. ratio would indicate).
    LOL, I have to totally agree with you here Av. The knock on Sanchez was his lack of playing experience at any level. ...and to use a quote by Mel Kiper on anything not related to hair spray is a reach.

The kid is supposed to be the second coming of (insert your favorite QB here) and is going to be paid a boatload of money to perform, so let him perform. What are the choices? Null or Feeley? Did anyone watch Null last year? Do we really want to watch that again?

No, you start Sam and simplify your offense around him, just llike the Jets did with Sanchez. Besides, with Jackson in the backfield, it's not a bad plan anyway. Remember the Rams are still running the WC offense which should minimize his deep drops and potential hits. Will he struggle at times? Sure he will. But IMHO, you don't learn the speed of the game holding a clipboard and wearing a ball cap.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That whole "looking to the sidelines" thing they kept harping on is a joke. He would look to the sidelines to get the play. He still had to read the defense. They can't do that for him from the sideline.
    That was another point I wanted to make and this is true. He read defenses all the time . I used to call it THE MEIRCAT offense . You would have to have seen the show on discovery channel. But it was for the offensive play coming in. His wonderlic score was very high, which i believe is his ability to read things like defenses. So Yes Bradford is gonna be quite a asset to the rebuilding period. And once they come together as a group i suggest they called Samford and sons.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    and to use a quote by Mel Kiper on anything not related to hair spray is a reach.
    ESPN pays him money because of his opinion on college people going pro. Hair spray aside, there's a reason he's on tv when these guys get picked and he's on ESPN all the time - he holds at least a little bit of respect. If you have zero respect for the people on ESPN then you would not watch ESPN. He probably has more respect nationwide than Av's judgment(no offense) when it comes to Bradford's readiness as a college quarterback going to the NFL. You can argue that he doesn't have the judgment on par with coaches, that's fine. But there's a good reason we don't have BigGameTH ESPN news.

If you really believe that what the Sooners run is just as close to what USC runs as far as preparing these guys for the pros, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. Sanchez might have started less games but he was at USC since 2005, so it's not like he was new to running a pro-style offense.

It's not the end of the world if he doesn't start right away. Statistically, there are a lot more failures from teams starting a quarterback too early than waiting. Careerwise, it's a better move than not to sit a quarterback in their first year. Since 2000, players who sit for a year averaged higher yards/att, td/int, and completion percentage over their ENTIRE CAREER.

Ken Zampese(Bengals quarterback COACH) says Palmer's year on the bench was invaluable, partly because he was able to draw knowledge from a seasoned pro. "The value of those games sat has everything to do with the player. Does he prepare like he's a starter even when he knows he's backing up? Does he break down film and approach game days with the seriousness of a starter? Carson did, but he also learned that from Jon Kitna, who was a great mentor."

We brought AJ Feeley in because he can be a great mentor to Bradford. Why would we want to hurt our long term chances of being successful by starting a quarterback too soon.

Even if you disregard the coaches comments and Kiper's comments because they don't mean anything to you, history also says you are going to hurt Bradford's long term chances and not help them.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I think, although I'm not a fan of Sanchez, we should do the same thing with Bradford: Let him start (if he's the best QB by the end of training camp) and hand the ball off to SJax. We have the luxury of doing that because we have one of, if not the best running back in the NFL. Meanwhile, he'll learn the speed of the game; gain experience and that's exactly what he needs. I think he'll be good enough to, at the least, make a few plays for us each game.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I say play him as soon as he is ready. If that be opening day, so be it.
    Simple and to the point.

The Rams are in a tough spot. They're going to feel a lot of pressure to play Sam early, but I don't think they can put him on the field if he's not ready. Still, I think some fans are going to get restless about this new era of Rams football if Sam doesn't take the field until, say, December.

My feeling on this is that, if you're going to play Bradford this season, you're probably going to want to shoot for a debut date prior to the bye week. Why? Here's the schedule after the bye: on the road against San Fran, then at home against the Falcons, then three road games in a row against Denver, Arizona, and New Orleans. Ouch.

If he's ready to start Week One and gives the Rams the best chance to win, then let's start this thing Week One. But if there's some question and he needs just a bit more time, then Week Three (home vs. Washington) or Week Four (home vs. Seattle) would be ideal in my opinion, at least from a scheduling standpoint. You'll have given him all summer, all camp, all preseason, and two weeks of regular season football to get ready. Again, assuming that he's ready, you can debut him in front of a home crowd against teams that weren't exactly great last year and see what he does. This gives him 5-6 games of action before the bye and before the Rams hit what I think is going to be a real tough portion of their schedule.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I think he is the best on the roster and he hasn't played a down. Start him, get his feet wet and throw him in the deep end. There is no time for fidgiting around now. Why the hell is he gonna be #8 anyway?
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The Rams could be starting a 2nd year (almost rookie) at LT and a rookie at RT (or RG). Depending on how they look and how Bradford looks in preseason, I think it's very likely that he'll sit multiple weeks. 3-8. He'll play, zero doubt about that but I'm doubtful he plays week 1. If it's me, he sits until he's confident in the system and the Rams are confident the young linemen won't collapse. Whether he starts week 1 or week 8, it doesn't really matter. He just needs to get in there and get some serious playing time at some point.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Honestly I don't see how people still think he's going to sit for 4 or more weeks. Spags, Devaney, etc have repeatedly stated they were going to try a Mcnabb approach, which is ease him into the offense by giving him game time experience in every week. They've also said the best guy will play, so if Bradford is the best guy, then he will start week 1.

TheRammer Guest

Hey let's do the David Carr thing! Throw him in there and get owned repeatedly and turn to trash )

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast