throwback week

View Poll Results: How would you handle Bradford's rookie year?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trial by Fire: If he's ready, let him start from Opening Day.

65 51.59%
  • Gradual Introduction: Play him a bit in early weeks with goal of having him start by mid-season.

51 40.48%
  • Redshirt: Let him sit and learn for a year.

10 7.94%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: How do you hope the Rams handle Bradford's rookie year?

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Honestly I don't see how people still think he's going to sit for 4 or more weeks. Spags, Devaney, etc have repeatedly stated they were going to try a Mcnabb approach, which is ease him into the offense by giving him game time experience in every week. They've also said the best guy will play, so if Bradford is the best guy, then he will start week 1.
    I'd like to see a story where they said they were taking the McNabb approach. Last year the team was very reluctant to pull a starter unless they were hurt. When Null played, he started the game. Why didn't they take the McNabb approach last year if they were so gung ho about it?

Bradford barely played last year. It's going to be a major leap beyond a normal rookie leap to be ready week 1.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I would also be interested in seeing where Spags and Devaney have repeatedly confirmed they'd be using the McNabb approach. Here's what Spagnuolo said about this at the Bradford press conference...

(On they key elements from the coaching staff to ensure Bradford will have a successful career)

Spagnuolo: “Obviously we’ll jump right into that phase now. We’re going to let Sam enjoy this moment and get here tomorrow and let you guys visit with him, but shortly after that we have the mini-camp coming up. This will be a step-by-step process. There are a lot of different ways that it’s been done. It’s been well documented. Myself and (Offensive Coordinator) Pat Shurmur have been around a certain way. I thought what Andy (Reid) did in Philadelphia was terrific with Donovan (McNabb) and that worked out pretty good. Other quarterbacks in the league have done it differently and have been very successful, so we’ll find out what’s best for Sam and what’s best for this team, and we’ll try and steer it in that direction.”
    So he didn't say they'd try the McNabb approach, just that he thought it worked out good in that situation, and they'd figure out something that works for Sam's situation.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Ideally, I would want our O-line to gel for a few weeks before putting him in. I just don't know that we have that luxury. I think it all depends on how well Feely performs in camp.
    This is the way I feel as well.

I personally feel like we should leave him be for a little while in order to acclimate him to NFL life, let alone the speed of an NFL game. As soon as he's comfortable in the league and we feel like he's ready, he should be put in.

I think starting him after the bye week makes a lot of sense.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

I thought he said it as much as he could without saying it lol...:
    Coach Steve Spagnuolo said Thursday night that Sam Bradford will not be rushed into the Rams' starting lineup. An ex-Eagles assistant, Spags referenced Andy Reid's handling of Donovan McNabb, who sat behind Doug Pederson for nine games as a rookie
    --fantasysp.com
    That and plenty of other quotes like that, along with the Feeley signing leads me to believe that's there first approach. But Spags has stated that they'd do what's right for Bradford so this really all depends on how quickly Bradford gets accustomed to the game.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    I thought he said it as much as he could without saying it
    But that's the point, they didn't say it. There's a difference between them making statements that lead you to believe something, and them explicitly stating they're going to do something. The quote you posted is a Rotoworld-like version of the one I posted, where Spags does reference the McNabb situation but then says there are other ways to do it, and they'll find what works best for Sam. We don't know what that is yet.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    But that's the point, they didn't say it. There's a difference between them making statements that lead you to believe something, and them explicitly stating they're going to do something. The quote you posted is a Rotoworld-like version of the one I posted, where Spags does reference the McNabb situation but then says there are other ways to do it, and they'll find what works best for Sam. We don't know what that is yet.
    Right, which i acknowledged at the end of my post. They also said they were considering Clausen at number one overall and that Suh and Mccoy were still in the mix. Just sifting through the jargon. Bradford's playing time will no doubt attribute to his overall ability to absorb an NFL playbook and advance quickly, no doubt. I messed up when i said they explicitly said that they WERE doing the Mcnabb thing, it just seems obvious to me that that's their first idea and that they are going to adapt it to Bradford as Bradford adapts his game.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

My only point with wanting evidence of a McNabb statement is that routinely on this board someone will make a point and then a week later it's somehow common knowledge that it's exactly what Spags wants.

supachump is offline Registered User

Week 8 at the earliest. I wouldn't mind sitting him the first year. But I don't think that will happen.

Starting him on day one, no matter if he looks good in camp or not is a big mistake imo.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

It will be very interesting to watch how the other ten guys on offense respond to Sam both in the huddle, and after the snap during the preseason games. Does Sam have that spark, an innate ability to lead? Will guys play harder for him than perhaps they did for Marc? The answers to these questions will have to wait until Rammin Sam steps on the field, first in preseason games, and then later in real games when Spags feels he's ready to go. Hopefully when he does get his first start, it won't be because he's the last man standing ..

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by supachump View Post
    Week 8 at the earliest. I wouldn't mind sitting him the first year. But I don't think that will happen.

Starting him on day one, no matter if he looks good in camp or not is a big mistake imo.
    So's starting AJ Feeley. He may be more familiar with the offense, but he's more than likely worse than Tony Banks skill wise. I'd sooner trot out Keith Null and his 2-3 INT a game average than Feeley.

The schedule also forces our hands a little. If we want wins this season, Bradford needs to get it early and often because the latter half of the schedule is noticably harder.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

We're really not sure what's going to be hard yet. We assume the Lions and Seahawks and guys like that will be easier, but until we see what they're working with on the field, we don't know if we got an easy or a hard schedule.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Look at the Rams Schedule some times rookies come in after the bye week but our bye week is week 9 and we can easily go 0-8 which will make us pick at the top again sigh. I dont think Bradford's 1st game will @ Detriot. If we start him mid season it will be at home. Another place to start him is week 3 at home vs. Washington but we have a problem that week we travel from Oakland all the way to Washington.

So there's only really 2 options after bye (week 10) in very hostile territory in San Fran or Week 1 at home vs. Arizona.

I think we should start him week 1

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    So's starting AJ Feeley. He may be more familiar with the offense, but he's more than likely worse than Tony Banks skill wise. I'd sooner trot out Keith Null and his 2-3 INT a game average than Feeley.

The schedule also forces our hands a little. If we want wins this season, Bradford needs to get it early and often because the latter half of the schedule is noticably harder.
    The whole question (How do you hope the Rams handle Bradford's rookie year?) is intriguing as seen by the differing posts here. I have trouble applying a template to how a rookie qb should be handled though, even if selected #1 overall. This is not a "one size fits all" issue. It will be up to Sam and the coaching staff as to when he should start. We all hope that he shows enough in the next few months leading up to the first regular season game to actually win the starting job. This is not an insurmountable task for a guy touted as the most talented qb in the 2010 draft. Especially given the other qbs currently on the Rams' roster. That said, I hope our coaching staff sticks to what's best for Sam and the team when it comes down to who starts on opening day, rather than succumbing to pressure to keep a 50 mil player off the bench. In summation, I guess my answer to the question (How do you hope the Rams handle Bradford's rookie year?) is: common sense -- the coaching staff's collective common sense that is .. as long as their decision is not tainted by Shaw-Zygmunt type pressures, and why should it be - those guys are GONE!! (Sometimes I have to pinch myself to believe it). However good or bad the current FO and coaching staff turn out to be, at least they appear to be on the same page. We also don't have an Al Davis, Jerry Jones, or Dan Snyder trying to pull strings either. It could be a blessing in disguise that the current ownership situation is in limbo with regard to this threads question ..

I believe Sam will prove that he's capable of being "the guy" if he can stay healthy up till the regular season's start. I suppose my "belief" is just another example of a besotted fans outrageous optimism after the draft, but I really do think he'll rise to the challenge. After all, it's not like he's got to beat out Peyton Manning ..

ramsguys Guest

he'll be the greatest QB i think!!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

As someone who wasn't really thrilled with the choice of Bradford at #1, I have to accept that it is a done deal. That being said, until we see how the offensive line meshes, it would be a suicide mission for a rookie QB to go into a game as a starter. We have Null who played in a few games behind last years attempt at an O-line and survived, we've got A.J. Feely, who has learned to run away and survive...we should let those two play until our O-line is solid, then put in Bradford. While I don't think Bradford is the second coming of Kurt Warner, I think he could be a very good QB. At least he could be IF he isn't thrown to the lions like a Christian in a Roman circus.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast