Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    djdeeznutz Guest

How do you think Marc Bulger will do in the WCO?

Pat Shurmur is our new Offensive Coordinator and he will run the offense. We all know he willl run the West Coast Offense. So how do you think Bulger will do in the WCO?

Some notes on the WCO for people who arent familier with it:

- needs a qb that makes quick decisions
    - involves quick throws
    - favors the taller recivers
    - needs a RB that can catch
    - needs recivers that know how the get the YAC
    - many screens
    - many RB dump offs
    - accuracy > arm strenght for a qb

With all things considered do you think Bulger will accel in the WCO or do you think his lack of tall recivers (Bennet will probably miss 15 games) will force him to be benched???????????

Yodude is offline Registered User

Re: How do you think Marc Bulger will do in the WCO?

needs a qb that makes quick decisions
    Definately not Bulger's best attribute, nor is checking down to his second or third option on a given play. He tends to lock on a receiver and force the ball whether the guy is open or not.

involves quick throws
    This is one of Bulger's best qualities as a QB...he has a lightning quick release which should serve him well in this offense.

favors the taller recivers
    If we draft Crabtree.......

needs a RB that can catch
    Got that!

needs recivers that know how the get the YAC
    I think we'll be OK there. I think Avery is going to be just fine and if Burton can play like he did in college he will be even better.

many screens and many RB dump offs
    Again, Jackson is great as a receiver out of the backfield, as long as he can play a full season...which, at this point, is highly doubtful. Aslo, the O-line will need to be upgraded if we are to run an offense heavy on screens and dumpoffs. But then we already know that.

accuracy > arm strenght for a qb
    As long as Bulger has time, he can be deadly accurate. His arm stregnth, however, is average at best...and I'm being kind here.

Overall, I think Bulger will be just fine running this offense as long as the offensive line gets upgraded either by addition or development of what we already have. Jackson's durability is a big question in my mind at this point. But if he stays healthy, Bulger could have a great year.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

rNemesis is offline Registered User

As far what Yodude just said in reference to Bulger and the WCO, I agree mostly. I would go out on a limb and say his arm strength is not average, it is good when it needs to be; have you seen his deep ball lately? LOl especially late in that 19-17 win over the redskins?!! That was pretty special? But seriously he is no Joe Flacco or Donovan Mcnabb or Ben Roethlisberger yea I must say. As far as making quick decisions, I agree that is not Bulger's best attribute, but I think he can learn about it good enough in the offseason? Now whether the offseason is enough time for him to gel into it is anybody's guess, because we've seen how Jason Campbell struggled in his first year with it under Jim Zorn ( or was it Joe Gibbs?) And, as previously mentioned, we need our O LINE sturdy and opening up big gaping holes to run through or at times if not then at least not getting overpowered and causing our running backs to be stopped for no gain.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

the quick throws are going to be very good for Bulger..I think he is great at this..I forgot what game it was this season, but the commentators lost their minds at how Bulger got the ball in between two defenders, straight into the arms of the receiver on a slant route..Hopefully this can open up our lanes so it'll be easier to go deep..

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude View Post
    Definately not Bulger's best attribute, nor is checking down to his second or third option on a given play. He tends to lock on a receiver and force the ball whether the guy is open or not.
    That's going to happen when you've got defenders in the backfield before you can say 'But they're only rushing three!' Give him time and he'll be able to go through his progressions.

Quote Originally Posted by YoDude
    As long as Bulger has time, he can be deadly accurate. His arm stregnth, however, is average at best...and I'm being kind here.
    I don't agree with this. He might not be in the echelon of deep passers in this league, but it's unfair to judge his production and his deep throwing the last two seasons (which there has been little of) due to to the porous line play you spoke about.

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    That's going to happen when you've got defenders in the backfield before you can say 'But they're only rushing three!' Give him time and he'll be able to go through his progressions.

I don't agree with this. He might not be in the echelon of deep passers in this league, but it's unfair to judge his production and his deep throwing the last two seasons (which there has been little of) due to to the porous line play you spoke about.
    Mark never had a deep ball. Even Martz said back in the day that marks
    biggest hang up is he cant deliver the deep ball. therefor it is totally fair
    to say bulger never had, and never will have the deep ball.
    Well never say never, but im willing to put all the money i have on it.
    Last edited by BEER; -02-14-2009 at 11:56 AM.

maineram is offline Registered User

Someone posted on another thread how Marc loved the westcoast offense in the 2004 pro bowl in which he was voted MVP. That year Reid and his staff (which included Shurmur) were the NFC coaching staff. Four TD's two to Holt won the game in the fourth quarter coming back to beat the AFC.

I think Marc would be fine in any offense if he has time to throw the ball. Nothing is wrong with Marc and a good O-line could would put him back in the pro bowl.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    Pat Shurmur is our new Offensive Coordinator and he will run the offense. We all know he willl run the West Coast Offense. So how do you think Bulger will do in the WCO?

Some notes on the WCO for people who arent familier with it:

- needs a qb that makes quick decisions
    - involves quick throws
    - favors the taller recivers
    - needs a RB that can catch
    - needs recivers that know how the get the YAC
    - many screens
    - many RB dump offs
    - accuracy > arm strenght for a qb

With all things considered do you think Bulger will accel in the WCO or do you think his lack of tall recivers (Bennet will probably miss 15 games) will force him to be benched???????????
    This is a safe offense, and Bulger should fit it well however, we need another WR for the offense to run smoothly and a TE who can serve as a safety blanket for the QB when all else fails. Randy is great when he's on the field but he's injury prone.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    Mark never had a deep ball. Even Martz said back in the day that marks
    biggest hang up is he cant deliver the deep ball. therefor it is totally fair
    to say bulger never had, and never will have the deep ball.
    Show me where Martz ever said Bulger cannot throw a deep ball. That is total BS ....

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Show me where Martz ever said Bulger cannot throw a deep ball. That is total BS ....

thats funny cause thats what i was going to mention, Bulger DOESNT have a deep ball...i dont know if Martz said it or not but its not hard to see..

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    Mark never had a deep ball. Even Martz said back in the day that marks biggest hang up is he cant deliver the deep ball. therefor it is totally fair to say bulger never had, and never will have the deep ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by unorthodox1999 View Post
    thats funny cause thats what i was going to mention, Bulger DOESNT have a deep ball...i dont know if Martz said it or not but its not hard to see..
    Bulger can't throw the long ball?? The last year Bulger had reasonable protection was in 2006. That year he had 60 completions of 20+ yards and 10 completions of 40+ yards. For comparison:

Drew Brees had his best year in 2008 and is considered one of the best, if not the best long ball thrower in the NFL. He had 66 completions of 20+ and 16 of 40+.

Peyton Manning, another guy noted for the ability to throw the long ball had an MVP year in 2008. He had 40 completions of 20+ and 7 of 40+.

Tom Brady led a wide open, down the field record setting offense in 2007. That year he had 56 completions of 20+ yards and 15 of 40+.

I'd say a reasonably protected Bulger stacks up pretty well for a guy who can't throw the ball down field and like maineram mentioned, will be fine in any offense that gives him a fighting chance.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Bulger can't throw the long ball?? The last year Bulger had reasonable protection was in 2006. That year he had 60 completions of 20+ yards and 10 completions of 40+ yards. For comparison:

Drew Brees had his best year in 2008 and is considered one of the best, if not the best long ball thrower in the NFL. He had 66 completions of 20+ and 16 of 40+.

Peyton Manning, another guy noted for the ability to throw the long ball had an MVP year in 2008. He had 40 completions of 20+ and 7 of 40+.

Tom Brady led a wide open, down the field record setting offense in 2007. That year he had 56 completions of 20+ yards and 15 of 40+.

I'd say a reasonably protected Bulger stacks up pretty well for a guy who can't throw the ball down field and like maineram mentioned, will be fine in any offense that gives him a fighting chance.
    Well with that being said, since its been so long that has HAD protection, you cant blame somebody for saying he cant throw a long ball..

Might I add you cant go based off stats, simply because theres not counting YAC, considering how many of those plays and catches went for 20+ yards due to the receiver and not Bulger..

Also, lets assume every ball did go for 20+ yards, your not saying anything except that he DiD have a good long ball..you can just watch Bulger throw the ball deep and cringe..
    Last edited by unorthodox1999; -02-15-2009 at 12:33 AM.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Well with that being said, since its been so long that has HAD protection, you cant blame somebody for saying he cant throw a long ball..

Might I add you cant go based off stats, simply because theres not counting YAC, considering how many of those plays and catches went for 20+ yards due to the receiver and not Bulger..

Also, lets assume every ball did go for 20+ yards, your not saying anything except that he DiD have a good long ball..you can just watch Bulger throw the ball deep and cringe..

The discussion of which QB's can throw a good deep ball and which can't is just ridiculous in all aspects. Go look at the QB splits and you'll see that just about every single QB in the league has really bad numbers when throwing passes that go 40+ yards ...

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Sure I can. Bulger has shown the ability to throw the ball down field under reasonable circumstances.

Ike and Holt were never noted for their YAC ability. On the contrary, they were regularly criticized for going down after making catches.

Personal perception and opinion doesn't cut it for me. Hopefully, the OL solidifies and gives him reasonable protection so we can make a judgement based on what he does on the field.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I think Bulger has the potential to be very productive in the West Coast offense, and I would generally agree with Yodude's analysis in his response. If the Rams can improve their offensive line's effectiveness in pass protection and run blocking, I really think Bulger and Jackson could thrive in this system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast