RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

How far would you go to make sure your child was a Rams fan?

How far would you go to make sure your child was a Rams fan? I hope not this far:

Father jailed for taping jersey on son

PORTAGE, Wis. (AP) -- Upset that his 7-year-old son wouldn't wear a Green Bay Packers jersey during the team's playoff victory Saturday, a man restrained the boy for an hour with tape and taped the jersey onto him.

Mathew Kowald was cited for disorderly conduct in connection with the incident with his son at their home in Pardeeville, Lt. Wayne Smith of the Columbia County Sheriff's Department said. Pardeeville is about 30 miles north of Madison.

The 36-year-old Kowald was arrested Monday after his wife told authorities about the incident. Kowald was taken to the county jail and held until Wednesday, when he pleaded no contest, paid a fine of $186 and was released.

Kowald's wife filed a restraining order Wednesday, so Kowald will not be able to have contact with his family, Smith said. Smith said other domestic issues have surfaced, though he wouldn't elaborate.

The boy refused to wear the jersey Saturday, when the Packers beat the Seattle Seahawks in a playoff game, Smith said. Smith said the incident sounded strange when reported at first, but the mother took pictures with her cell phone and that type of evidence is difficult to dispute.

Kowald, contacted later Wednesday by the Portage Daily Register, said the incident started as a joke. His son challenged him by saying he wouldn't root for the Packers. When he tied the boy up, the youngster was laughing while his wife took pictures, he said.

"Then he couldn't get out and he got upset and that's it. It lasted a minute," he said. "I didn't mean no harm, and he knows that, but I haven't been able to tell him that."

District Attorney Jane Kohlwey said there wasn't enough evidence to support felony charges.

"I wouldn't agree with what he did, but legally a parent can restrain a child," she said. "I have no proof of emotional damage. ... I have to follow the law.
    As much it would kill me to see my child rooting for another team, taking it this far is just nuts.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: How far would you go to make sure your child was a Rams fan?

I got my nephew a Steven Jackson jersey, but I didn't tape it to him.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm tellin' ya, man......those cheeseheads are just a different breed. Or is it a different inbreed?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I told my son (before SB36 of course) he could be a fan of any other team he wanted except for the Whiners or Faiders. If her chose either of those two, he would have to move out....even at 7! This rule now includes the Hatriots....he is Rams fan luckily though!

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

I have 4 kids:

Falcons fan
    Patriots fan
    Patriots fan
    Rams fan

1 out 4 is the best I could do.

My son the Falcons fan has 4 kids also, only 1 of them is old enough to get into football and he's an Eagles fan....go figure.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Just for that, I hope the Cheese crackers lose.

No, my son grew 'naturally' a Rams fan under my roof. Of course, it also helped my wife got him some blue and yellow clothes to match the team colors and I got him enough Rams posters, banners, figurines and magazines in his bedroom to drop a hint of influence.

My daughter is a Rams sympathizer (much of which is needed today).

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I have 4 kids:

Falcons fan
    Patriots fan
    Patriots fan
    Rams fan

1 out 4 is the best I could do.

My son the Falcons fan has 4 kids also, only 1 of them is old enough to get into football and he's an Eagles fan....go figure.
    Oh God what has laram0 done to spite ye? I swear he's a decent man, lift this curse and enact your vengeance upon someone else!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

on the night my daughter was born I wore my Jim Everett jersey to the hospital so the first thing our new child would see is a Rams jersey,so after she was born the nurse handed her to me and she looked at me and then peed on the jersey,I knew then she would be a Rams fan for life.as for my son 2 years later he followed his granfather and became a Cowboys fan,the only thing I told him was be a loyal fan,not a bandwagon fan and he is so I respect his choice,as for this Jackass in Green Bay he should spend a little time in jail with a striped jersey for doing that to his son.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    I told my son (before SB36 of course) he could be a fan of any other team he wanted except for the Whiners or Faiders. If her chose either of those two, he would have to move out....even at 7! This rule now includes the Hatriots....he is Rams fan luckily though!
    Funny you should say that. I never told my daughter what team she could, or couldn't be a fan of, I believe in letting her make her own decisions and choices on things like that. I just hoped that if she did follow football, she never wore the silver and bleak. Well, my little princess didn't ask for a Raider jacket for xmas a few years ago, but she did want a Whiner's jacket. :\ Do you know how tough it was to buy a Whiner's jacket? It felt so..... well, ....dirty.

...but as it turns out, she's not really a fan of the Whiners, she just liked the colors. So, I though I was out of the woods. Untill she became a Dodger fan. That's when the real nightmare began....
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Rambos is offline Registered User

This why I love this board!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on the night my daughter was born I wore my Jim Everett jersey to the hospital so the first thing our new child would see is a Rams jersey,so after she was born the nurse handed her to me and she looked at me and then peed on the jersey,

This is awsome on so many levels, thank for sharing classic...

Mooselini is offline Registered User

wow...thats really stupid of the dad to do that.

i won't force my child to believe in what i believe or root for whoever i root for. as long as it doesnt cause harm to anyone or insult anyone, id be fine.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    wow...thats really stupid of the dad to do that.

i won't force my child to believe in what i believe or root for whoever i root for. as long as it doesn't cause harm to anyone or insult anyone, id be fine.
    Well then why do parents force their children to go to a church/mosque/synagogue? Seems like the same kind of thing.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO View Post
    Well then why do parents force their children to go to a church/mosque/synagogue? Seems like the same kind of thing.
    Good point....or how about eating broccoli ? Parents do force many things upon their children.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jquarando is offline Registered User

why is the mom taking pictures with her cell phone and not helping her kid?