MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

How to guarantee the Rams a new stadium ..

This is post is from another forum, however, I thought it an interesting concept, and worthy of discussion here .. Av and GC, perhaps you might weigh in on whether "collusion charges" would have any merit in this type of situation with regard to the Giants.

Author: Playmaker
    Posted: Fri Jun 04

In today's tough economic times, the last thing tax payers want to do is fund a new stadium for their home team. Especially when there isn't anything structurally wrong with the current stadium. That is why I think we have seen the last of the publicly funded professional sport stadiums being built.

If you look across the NFL, there are several NFL franchises that have been trying for years to get new stadiums. San Francisco, Oakland, San Diego and Minnesota have had several proposals for publicly funded stadium proposals shot down in recent years. New Orleans needs a new stadium, but the state of Louisiana and the city of New Orleans are still trying to get over the financial hit of Hurricane Katrina and now the oil disaster that has hit the Gulf of Mexico. St. Louis and Atlanta are approaching the end of their leases at the Georgia and Edward Jones Domes.

With New York receiving the Super Bowl in 2014, we may be entering a new era in the NFL. The new Giants Stadium cost an estimated $1.6 billion dollars to build. Part of that came from tax levys voted on by the cities of East Rutherford New Jersey and New York City along with the states of New Jersey and New York. The new Giants Stadium received 300 million dollars in grants from the NFL in 2006 to help with the building of the new stadium.

By giving New York a Super Bowl, the NFL has opened themselves up to collusion charges by any NFL city who is waiting on a new stadium and/or been turned down to host a Super Bowl.

The Super Bowl in 2014 will generate $500 million in tax dollars for the East Rutherford/New York City area. So whatever the citizens had to flip the bill for, they will get back in tax dollars generated by hotels, resteraunts, gas, alcohol, and tobacco revenue made those two weeks prior to the Super Bowl (not to mention the actual game).

So what the NFL needs to do is practice what they preach. I believe the NFL should begin a rotation where every NFL city gets to host a Super Bowl once every thirty one years. This would ensure that each city get's a new stadium once every thirty years (or upgrades generated by the $500 million in taxes genrated during the Super Bowl) Otherwise, I would sue the NFL for collusion charges for allowing New York to host an outdoor Super Bowl in a cold environment and not allowing my city to do the same.

St.Louis could then ask their citizens to help flip the bill for a new stadium in 2014 with the promise that "whatever you put in you will get back when the Super Bowl comes to town."

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: How to guarantee the Rams a new stadium ..

I don't think there is collusion here in the least. This is probably one of the worst posts I have read in a while. Almost every league has made it a point to award events to new stadiums. Yea the NFL went against their traditional mold here, but the factors they use in their decisions are just pieces of the puzzle. Other considerations, such as it is New York and will generate a ton ton ton ton more money than St. Louis or Kansas City could hope to is one big reason, regardless of the climate.

I am not as up to date on collusion charges as I do maritime work, but I just don't see it here. Maybe another attorney knows more on collusion than I do. Sounds like a pissed off fan who thinks New York shouldn't get it more than anything. Let's throw around a few more legal actions as well, I'll toss in res ipsa, armed robbery, and oh what the hey, a cogsa claim as well.

And btw, as to that last line, that was exactly what the Cardinals did to fund their new stadium, except with the All-Star game. The commissioner promised the Cardinals an all-star game if they got a new stadium. And it happened.

Edit: I know it was a post from another forum, so this is not directed to the poster here
    Last edited by berg8309; -06-05-2010 at 10:35 PM.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

So what the NFL needs to do is practice what they preach. I believe the NFL should begin a rotation where every NFL city gets to host a Super Bowl once every thirty one years. This would ensure that each city get's a new stadium once every thirty years (or upgrades generated by the $500 million in taxes genrated during the Super Bowl)
    This was the intriguing part of the post for me .. Would this idea actually help teams and cities build new stadiums, or substantially upgrade existing ones? On paper it sounds conceivable, but would this endeavor be rendered futile by a poorly run team (a rotten owner - FO - coaching) translating to miserable on field performance, thereby losing its fan base?

It is always a bummer for fans to lose their team to another city and state, particularly if the overriding issue is a new stadium. It seems the NFL generates more and more profits each year. Perhaps a percentage of those profits should be earmarked for a fund specifically created to assist teams in need of either new, or dramatically upgraded stadiums. I suppose the next thorny issue would be the process of determining which team should be first in line ..

Most likely this idea is simply the result of naivete' on my part, but the idea of each NFL franchise city knowing it would ultimately get its turn to host a Super Bowl seems to have merit ..

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Just my opinion, but I don't think St Louis needs a new stadium. I have seen several games there and I thought the Stadium was nice. It certainly is nicer than the stadium in Charlotte. And a lot better than the one in Chicago.