Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: How I feel about our NFC West rivals

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

How I feel about our NFC West rivals

Division rivals are not all created equal.

When I look at the three teams in our division, I have vastly different feelings.

In the case of the Niners, we're talking pure disdain. There was a brief moment in history when the Joe Montana squad was an underdog to the hated Cowboys that I favored them. Once they had a taste of success, though, their fans (most of whom jumped the bandwagon after a title or two) became insufferable. To make matters worse, when the Rams were down, they wouldn't shut up about it (unlike the 70s, when the Rams dominated and I can't recall ever taunting a Whiner fan). At this point, there is not a team in the league (that's right, even the Cowboys and Patriots) that I wouldn't pull for to beat the Niners. Don't like them. Never will.

The Seahawks, by contrast, are merely a rival of circumstance. Sure, there are players (i.e. Richard Sherman) and coaches (i.e. Pete Carroll) of whom I am not particularly fond, but Seattle still, to this day, does not elicit the type of negative emotional response in me that the Niners do. As for their fans, I have to admit that I've generally found them to be a decent bunch. Sure, some of them seem to be oblivious of the fact that, up until about 10 years ago, the Rams' history was far more impressive than theirs. Sure, those "Johnny-come-lately" types sometimes express misplaced pity on Rams fans who remember watching Jack Youngblood play when the Seahaws were barely an expansion team. But, all in all, I really don't have any major beef with them.

Then there's the Cardinals. For St. Louisians, there is an inherent rivalry between the team that used to play by the Arch and the team that does now. I supposed there could also be a bit of a "custody battle" over Kurt Warner's legacy. But, beyond that, the Cardinals' resume is pretty, well... pathetic. Even in the few years when the Rams looked up at them in the standings, it seemed like a temporary glitch in the history of the division, rather than a long term status quo. And how do I feel about Cardinals fans? Well, pretty much the same way I feel about Zoroastrians. I know they exist, but I'm not sure if I've ever even met one.

So, for me, when it comes down to it, I only perceive there to be one hated division "rival," along with two mere divisional foes.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: How I feel about our NFC West rivals

Let the chant begin: "BEAT S.F.!!!" "BEAT Fris-co!!!"

Or, how does it go? But yes, pure disdain is right. Hatred. I loathe and abominate them!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The whiners? Grumpy Cat doesn't even know the hate I feel towards the whiners.

Seahawks? Don't like them either...especially when they try to talk smack. They just don't have the record to back it up. Yeah, they had a lucky run of wins against us in the past decade, but they still aren't a team that can scare me yet.

The Cards? Well...how can I say this with some sensitivity? Do you remember when you were in school, hanging out with your friends, and one of them had a little brother that kept hanging around, wanting to be a part of the group, but never quite fitting in? Yeah, that's the Cardinals - and I feel the same about them that I did about that kid...don't really hate 'em, but kind of wish they would leave the big kids alone so they could play...
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Plus, it's gonna' be real sweet when the Rams show up for SB 50 in the ****** new stadium.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I hate the whiners, and always have. Even when they were the underdog Joe Montana gang, I knew several fans from Northern California who drove me to madness over their success, including two heartbreaking wins over the Rams in '81, causing me to root, root hard for Dallas in the NFC Championship. "The Catch" was like a knife to the heart.

I hate the Seahawks, but haven't always felt that way. They were a reasonable rival for many years, and like Av noted, their fans were a decent bunch, but that all changed after they went to the Super Bowl. They still have some reasonable fans, but too many have become overbearing and mocking, especially towards the Rams.

I dislike the Cardinals. but find it difficult to hate them, despite the fact that their fans are a bunch of jerks. I used to go to Tempe/Glendale every year for the Rams game, but it became such an ugly, confrontational ordeal, I quit making that trip. Getting things thrown at me in the stands, idiots wanting to fight in the parking lot, and the final straw, some ass screaming F Bruce (I was wearing my Ike jersey) at me the entire 10 minute walk out of the stadium, made the decision easy.

I see the whiners and Seahawks as hated rivals, with the Cardinals as a nuisance in the division.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -05-21-2013 at 09:52 PM.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    I don't like the ******, but really can't stand the Seahawks. Now that they're both NFL darlings, however, I'd still rather beat the *****.

Funny enough, I always kind of liked the Cards.

R8H8 - been to five games in Glendale, and always had a good time. Found the fans to be OK.
    Sorry for your bad experiences.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

I'll say this about current Hawks fans... they are exceedingly overconfident about their team and, in particular, their QB. The NFL can be very unkind to "preseason favorites," and they could be headed for a rude awakening.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    " Same ole sorry ass Rams"

- Dana Stubblefield circa 1995

This will forever be engrained in My Hatred for the *****!!!
    OldSchoolRamFan likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Goes without saying that I root for the Rams and whomever is playing the digits EACH week. I HAVE never rooted for the digits and I BOYCOTTED all of their SB's in the 80's and 90's as I refused to watch that team

The wagon fans are all around me and they are insufferable for sure. Seahawks don't give me even the semblance of disdain the digits do but Pete Carroll is helping to close that gap. Cardinals are the team you just feel sorry for. Sort of like that challenged kid that others picked on in school.

Its funny how a rival team's fans can turn me against a player.

For example, I have nothing against Russell Wilson as an individual. Unlike, say... Colin Kaepernick, who I think acts like an arrogant schmuck (did he seriously try to trademark a pose that he stole from Hulk Hogan?), Wilson seems like a the type of guy you'd want on your team.

Unfortunately, Hawks fans have already started Wilson's HOF campaign, and feel the need to boast about him at every turn (while, at the same time, they talk about Sam Bradford as if he's Ryan Leaf). The natural reaction to that is to hope that Wilson throws 35 interceptions this year and gets benched.

Sorry, Russ.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -05-22-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    TheBritishRam likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Division rivals are not all created equal.

In the case of the Niners, we're talking pure disdain. There was a brief moment in history when the Joe Montana squad was an underdog to the hated Cowboys that I favored them. Once they had a taste of success, though, their fans (most of whom jumped the bandwagon after a title or two) became insufferable. To make matters worse, when the Rams were down, they wouldn't shut up about it (unlike the 70s, when the Rams dominated and I can't recall ever taunting a Whiner fan). At this point, there is not a team in the league (that's right, even the Cowboys and Patriots) that I wouldn't pull for to beat the Niners. Don't like them. Never will.
    I actually used to feel sorry for the Whiners back in the day before Joe showed up. The Cowboys were easily the team I hated most back in those days. Right now my two favorite teams are the Rams, and which ever team is playing the Whiners. I admit to rooting for them in the game against Dallas (whom I despised and still do) which they won and then went on to win the Super Bowl. That was the last time though.

Seahawks are simply a division rival. Though I have never been a fan of Pete Carroll, I used to like the Hawks a bit back when they were an expansion team in the AFC. Not anymore!

I followed the Cardinals a bit after I met several players that were over on Maui circa 1974 -1975 (can't remember the exact year). The players were in Hawaii as Pro Bowlers, and took advantage of a freebie offer (car, room and food on Maui) at a recently built condo right on the ocean. The offer was a few freebie days in exchange for mandatory attendance at a one night party open to the general public - free booze, autographs etc. I probably spent the better part of an hour talking with Matt Blair and Dan Dierdorf - an evening I still remember well. Dan had the "gift of gab" even back then, and had some very interesting comments on Cardinal's owner Bill Bidwell. It was a real eyeopener for me back then.

I've never hated the Cards, and still don't. It hurt to see Warner play for them, but except when he played us, I wished him well. That said, obviously I still root against them ..

The three teams I hate the most:
    1) Whiners
    2) Cheatriots
    3) Cowpokes
    RockinRam likes this.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

I absolutely, positively, wholeheartedly beyond any shadow of a doubt want the ****** to lose every game they play. That being said, I happen to dislike the Steelers and Patriots just as much. I definitely don't harbor any ill will towards the Seahawks, I just want to beat them, end of story (my best friend happens to be a Seahawks fan). As for the Cardinals, I can't help but secretly root for them as long as they aren't playing the Rams. I'm an AZ native and watched as actual Cardinals fans suffered incessantly throughout most of the 90's right along with Rams fans. Since we weren't in the same division I found myself hoping they would win and I was actually quite excited when they beat Dallas in the playoffs.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I realize why LA Rams fans hate the Bay city rollers.

Personally, I hate the Seahags far more.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

I hate whiners! I hate their cocky fans. Crowd of them following me all around their stadium with cowbells and yelling move aside lamb fan walking... ughh! I wore my Warner jersey proud btw.

Squawks love the rivalry. Tight games coming to the wire and who can forget, ""We want the ball and we're gonna score." " Lol!

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4W7rbY5NDc

Tards, ehhh... Never really been much of a rival in my books. Kinda get happy seeing them pull off a couple of winning seasons.

So there my take of NFC West rivals.
    Last edited by LA Rammer; -05-22-2013 at 04:59 PM.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

kman is offline Registered User

I definatley hate the seahawks just as much if not more then whiners..I always ahted holmgren, hasselbeck, and now I cant stand Carroll and Sherman..the fans seem more obnoxious too..dont get me wrong I cant astand whiners but I always respected their franchise and success they had..I fondly rmember back in the 80's a s a kid, the monday night rams-niners games, and my parent sletting me stay up later then normal to watch them, but not till the end..then theyd wake me up in the morning and tell me what happened, usually not good..lol ever since Kurt was on Cards i didnt mind them too much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast