View Poll Results: How is the lockout impacting your mood?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm having trouble maintaining interest in anything NFL related right now.

7 21.21%
  • Its taken the wind out of my sails, but I'm still looking forward to the draft.

9 27.27%
  • It hasn't had a big impact yet, but it will more and more as time goes on.

6 18.18%
  • It has not impacted me at all and probably won't until August.

1 3.03%
  • I'm fascinated by the negotiation and legal issues.

0 0%
  • I'm angry at the owners.

0 0%
  • I'm angry at the NFLPA.

1 3.03%
  • I'm angry at the league and the players equally.

9 27.27%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How is the lockout impacting your mood?

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Re: How is the lockout impacting your mood?

I'm not too bothered by it yet, because I've come to expect this nonsense from today's athletes and owners. ...but the greed on display by the owners and the players is sickening. It just reinforces my feelings about sports in general anymore. It's all about the money and in the end, they're both just sticking it to the fans.

If it continues on though and the season is ruined, the players and owners can both smooch my rosie cheeks. I can move on to something else. They need me more than I need them.

Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

It hasn't really affected my mood per se. It's the off-season, and there is no real football at this time of year anyway. A work stoppage before the first OAs is kind of like a teacher strike during the summer. It doesn't have a lot of visible effects. If they reach an agreement within the next three months, this situation will have had minimal impact on my NFL consumption.

If we lose so much as one game of the season, I'll be pretty angry at both sides, and it'll probably be a long time before I buy any NFL merchandise again.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

This time of year is when I start thinking about and planning for my annual travel trip and I'm worried it may not happen this year. I also am considering going to the Hall of Fame induction and game, but will that even happen?! I mean really, this has been in the works for several years and this is what both the players and owners come up with for a game plan...REALLY???!!!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    This time of year is when I start thinking about and planning for my annual travel trip and I'm worried it may not happen this year. I also am considering going to the Hall of Fame induction and game, but will that even happen?! I mean really, this has been in the works for several years and this is what both the players and owners come up with for a game plan...REALLY???!!!
    Right? I was thinking of going to that HOF game to... lame! April 6th please come!!

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    ... lame! April 6th please come!!
    I'm not sure that any court decision will speed this ridiculous process to a conclusion. It's likely that the losing side on any decision the judge makes will appeal the decision. That will lead to at least another 90 days of posturing on both sides.

I really have very little empathy for either of the major parties in this "negotiation." While I want players to be compensated fairly for their talents and the risks they take with their bodies, there are a couple of things that concern me. First, I hear a lot of talk about players wanting the owners to open their books. It is VERY likely that even if the owners showed the NFLPA the books, the latter would not trust that the info was correct (and it might not be). Second, I've heard that the NFLPA wants a 50/50 split of revenue. Personally, I find that insane. The players are employees. They do not have the same business risks, and expenses as the owners. If the players want 50% of the revenues, I believe they need to cover 50% of the overhead. Negotiate for a fair wage, not just to get every last penny you can squeeze out of the organization. I also believe that the majority of any increase will go to the "stars" of the league. While I feel it's right that the best guys get the highest pay, I think they'd garner more support if their efforts were focused on a fair increase of the salary cap, to include taking care of the players that only make scale. Most especially focusing on healthcare and benefits for current and former NFL players. The rest just makes them sound greedy.

As for the owners, holy cow, these guys are billionaires. They hide money in places we'd never even be able to comprehend. Most of the stadiums they use to generate cash are paid for by the fans, if not totally, at least significantly. There are a few exceptions, but not many. The owners have used underhanded tactics to create a war chest for a lockout, and I think they'd actually prefer the season to either start late, or not at all. While it would create a shortfall in the short run, it would certainly cause unrest and discord amongst the players. Many of the guys in the league aren't prepared financially for any prolonged work stoppage. I think the owners are looking to create riffs within the NFLPA. It's hard to have a lot of sympathy for the guys who are directly responsible for a higher tax rate to cover the expense of a buildng that only serves to generate cash for them.

No matter what, this fight will do nothing but harm the league and its players. Ultimately, the ones that will pay most dearly for this will be the fans. Any extra costs incurred will be passed on to the people who support their teams.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The April 6 hearing could impact the situation, depending on the outcome (which might not be known immediately).

If the NFLPA obtains an injunction, the lockout would end, but the problems would remain. Ultimately, the two sides must come to terms and decide on key issues such as salary cap, FA rules, rookie scale, etc.

If the NFL defeats the motion for injunctive relief, the lockout would continue, and the NFLPA will be faced with the knowledge that the owners can simply wait out the players until they cave.

While I have done no in-depth analysis of the two sides' positions, if forced to make a prediction, I'd say the NFL is more likely to prevail in this round of the battle.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The April 6 hearing could impact the situation, depending on the outcome (which might not be known immediately).
    I agree, the April 6th decision "could" have an impact. However, that impact will only be felt when the case and the ensuing appeals have been completed. Unfortunately, that is VERY unlikey to be April 6th, 2011. :/
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12