Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

How long is too long for Pace and the Postons?

Just thinking out loud here after watching a disappointing Outside the Lines (see General NFL Talk), but the more I thought about the situation, the more I began to wonder...

How long is too long when it comes to waiting for Pace and the Postons to reach a reasonable long term contract with the Rams?

Obviously with the increasing amount of the franchise tag on Orlando Pace, as well as other players who we might want to retain using that tag, we can't tag Pace year in and year out. This is the second year in a row the tag has been placed on Pace, and while Orlando's comments in March were optimistic about a long-term deal being done this fall, we've yet to see or hear anything from him that would indicate that's still the case.

So for a moment, let's assume that Pace signs the tender during the preseason and once again fails to sign a long-term deal. At what point do the Rams begin to look for a viable replacement at left tackle, thus marking the beginning of the end of their dealings with Pace and the Postons? Does such a point exist?

Personally, I think that if the Rams and Pace can't reach a long-term deal by next spring when the time to franchise Orlando comes again, the Rams should begin considering alternative answers for the left tackle position. I'll be the first to tell you that Pace is one of the most valuable offensive linemen in the game, but the Rams cannot afford to be held hostage like this for many more seasons. Plus, I believe in the 2005 draft, there will be a number of good (not elite, but very good) tackle prospects, guys like Alex Barron or Jammal Brown, who may not be able to play as well as Pace, but should be very adequate and efficient players. Also, it's hard to tell who might be available in free agency, too.

The bottom line is I don't see the Postons bending to lower demands, and I'm not convinced that Pace is going to give them the boot any time soon. As much as the Rams may want to continue tagging Pace year after year (I think an interview with Zygmunt alluded to this), I don't think that's going to be an option after another season or two.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

majorram is offline Registered User

Re: How long is too long for Pace and the Postons?

Nice read Nick, I agree, with what you are saying, my bottomline is and I'm still STILL hoping that Pace signs this dam tender and the Rams still have that signing bonus on the table, Pace comes to his sences, as we know he hates camp and signs up Long term.....and pigs might fly lol......

Another question with Turley going awol does this give the postons a ton more leveage????? to me it does!!!!

steve :ramlogo:

JellyOpal is offline Registered User
    Macomb, IL home of Rams summer training camp

I'd just as soon see Pace take a hike. I know I should want him to stay for the sake of the team, but if his focus was ON the team, he'd be in Macomb right now. With all the other changes in other positions, we might as well cut Pace loose, bring in some young blood and call this a rebuilding year. Who knows, some of them newbies could surprise us and take us where we want to go anyway.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Pace is not getting any younger. If he keeps tempting fate by gambling that he won't get injured seriously during the regular season he could get burned big time! As obtuse as big O sometimes appears (see retaining the Postons), he is surely aware that a season ending injury could wipe away his shot at getting the BIG money. Ian Gold another Poston client is a good example--the Broncos made him a very generous offer and by way of the Postons brilliance, he elected to refuse the offer and sign the franchise tender instead. Ian was subsequently injured and out the rest of that year. Denver not surprisingly went in another direction the following year and Ian lost out on getting a huge signing bonus. Tampa Bay picked him up cheap compared with what he would have made had he signed the offer the Broncos made to him.

I think this year big O will finally sign with or without the Postons. The opportunity to hook up with the big bucks will not be there forever especially if big O were to sustain a serious injury. O hates camp and is going to miss as much of this one as he can--one last time!! :ramlogo:

GO RAMMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If Pace were smart, he'd sign a long term deal and protect his future.

I'm not sure he's that smart.

Either way, I have no doubt that Pace will sign before the last preseason game - whether it be the tender or a long term deal - and will play and make the Pro Bowl again.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Exactly. If I were Pace, I'd be telling the Postons that I want to get a deal done so I can get some guaranteed money for the future in case I get injured. This tender deal isn't helping him at all.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Unfortunately, that is one enormous IF. The Postons don't sign smart clients. I wish I could find the report, but a column was written comparing the Wonderlic scores of Poston clients with the NFL average. And while I can't remember the exact numbers, the NFL average was 22 or 23 (out of a possible 50) somewhere in there, while the average Poston client was 10 or 11. If Pace is on par with that analysis, he isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the lighthouse.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Hey, lay off the Postons! They're lawyers and they're doing their job. Survey says they will get top dollars for their clients. And that's the way it is....

I say trade Pace now for all we can get for him. Or, make him honor his contract, or not pay him at all, then trade him. Historically the Ram's FO has excelled in underpaying great players. No reason for them to change now.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Are they lawyers, or just agents?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

You might want to check with Ian Gold about that top dollar statement. For that matter check with Pace. If he had signed last year, his bonus would have better than twice the tender amount. Looks like the Postons are costing their clients money.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I wish I could find the report, but a column was written comparing the Wonderlic scores of Poston clients with the NFL average. And while I can't remember the exact numbers, the NFL average was 22 or 23 (out of a possible 50) somewhere in there, while the average Poston client was 10 or 11. If Pace is on par with that analysis, he isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the lighthouse.
    From a similar article:

...six of the high profile Poston clients currently involved in contract issues along with their Wonderlic test scores. The six players, Pace, Law, Arrington, Charles Woodson (Raiders), Ian Gold (Broncos) and Julian Peterson (*****), all had an average Wonderlic score of a 15.5, which the Pro Football Weekly article said placed the players "somewhere between 'mildly autistic donkey' and 'pile of cracked bricks' on the overall intelligence scale." To top it off, Lion receiver Charles Rogers, the third pick in the 2003 draft, had a Wonderlic score of 10, which the article states "puts him in a position to outwit a handful of moist soil."

RamTime Guest

Interesting... explains alot...

POSTONS PLAYING TO A 'SLOW' DEMOGRAPHIC?

A league source with access to Wonderlic scores tells us that agents Carl and Kevin Poston could be successful in signing high-profile clients primarily because they're attracting guys who might think the key word in the title to this piece refers to some kind of a computer program.

Per the source, the six Poston clients who currently are embroiled in a dispute with their respective NFL teams (i.e., Charles Woodson, Julian Peterson, Orlando Pace, Ty Law, Ian Gold, and LaVar Arrington) generated an average score of 15.5 on the Wonderlic test, which in our estimation puts them somewhere between 'mildly autistic donkey' and 'pile of cracked bricks' on the overall intelligence scale.

For the sake of any mildly autistic donkeys that might be offended by the comparison, we're joking about those classifications.

But not about the numbers.

The trend continued with their 2003 draft picks. Lions receiver Charles Rogers scored a 10 on the Wonderlic, which puts him in a position to outwit a handful of moist soil.

Colts safety Mike Doss and Texans linebacker Antwan Peek each scored a 13, which means that their dogs successfully have trained them to get their own newspapers and slippers.

The geek of the bunch is Vikings linebacker E.J. Henderson, who notched a 26. Though a 26 is a far cry from the 'genius' category, in the land of the blind a one-eyed man is still the king.

So is it a coincidence that the Postons are signing players of limited intellectual skills? Our guess is that the Postons aren't specifically targeting these guys. The truth may be, however, that they are more susceptible to making decisions based on emotion -- making them more likely to be manipulated by agents who play on their emotions.

More importantly, the Wonderlic results suggest to us that these players also are more likely to defer to their agents when big decisions come along -- and not to question those who act on their behalf.

The results speak for themselves. Woodson, Pace, and Peterson don't have long-term deals, Gold is languishing on the free-agent shelf, Law is playing chicken with a team that has shown it won't blink, and Arrington got screwed out of $6.5 million because the Postons didn't read the final draft of his contract.