Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

How many current starters would you return on opening day 2011?

Of the current starters (offense/defense), which players do you hope/expect to be starters on opening day 2011?

Here's my list:

QB: Sam Bradford - obviously.
    RB: Steven Jackson - he needs help, and his time is winding down, but I still want him in the starting lineup in 2011.
    LT: Rodger Saffold - future is bright.
    RT: Jason Smith - he might never live up to his draft status, but he is a solid RT who I believe will continue to improve.
    C: Jason Brown - didn't have his best season in 2010, but should bounce back with better OGs around him.

DE: Chris Long - the "Howie's son" thing is becoming a mere footnote.
    DE: James Hall - a long term replacement will be needed, but he earned this spot for at least one more year.
    DT: Fred Robbins - great FA signing.
    MLB: James Laurinaitis - the heart of the defense.
    CB: Ron Bartell - its unfortunate how many Rams fans fail to see just how good he is.
    CB: Brad Fletcher - one of the truly great stories for the Rams in 2010.
    FS: O.J. Atogwe - he must truly be looking forward to a healthy offseason after spending most of last Spring rehabbing injuries.

So, for me, that's 12 of 22 who, in my mind, are secure.

I put the remaining 10 starters in the following categories:

Adequate, but could use an upgrade: OG Jacob Bell, DT Gary Gibson, SLB Na'il Diggs, FB Brit Miller.

Should be depth player (at best), not starter: OG Adam Goldberg, TE Daniel Fells (Note: I think we already have his replacement in Michael Hoomanawanui), WR Danny Amendola, WR Brandon Gibson, SS Craig Dahl, WLB David Vobora.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Re: How many current starters would you return on opening day 2011?

I agree with your list of returning starters although I wouldn't mind Diggs starting next season if there was an upgrade at WLB. I think most of the other starters like Goldberg, Gary Gibson, Dahl, Vobora would make excellent depth at their respective positions. I think Bell might be a "surprise" cut this offseason considering his performance against the money he's making. But Laurent Robinson is the only starter I don't see coming back in any capacity although if you count Karney as a starter I doubt he'll return either.

I didn't count Robinson as a starter, but he would be on my cut list too.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I thnk a better question is how many of the Rams starters would "start" for most other teams?

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    I thnk a better question is how many of the Rams starters would "start" for most other teams?
    No, that's not a better question.

Let's stay on topic, shall we?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

The slight problem I have is with the term "current starter", as opposed to "would have started week 17 if healthy".

In my mind Clayton and Hoomanawanui are two caught in that distinction. I'm tempted to also throw Avery in there as well, but I'd much rather him fight for a role, rather than just assume he can return to starter's form(aka, upgrade the position with at least 1 guy).

So my count would be up to 14/22.

Also, what was up with Miller/Karney at FB through the season? Was Karney just banged up, but not listed as such(he was a healthy scratch a few times). Karney has the name recognition, but if he's not working out, then yeah, we definitely need to upgrade...

...I checked the week 17 box score, Karney was the FB who took those 3rd and shorts and missed the 1st downs, so yeah, if he can't pound the rock when we give him the opportunity to on short yardage, we should upgrade with someone else.

Lastly, As much as I love Bartell for playing amazing man to man coverage, especially on Fitzy, and as good as Fletcher played this year(didn't see many games, so don't know really how good he was), I still think we need an upgrade at the corner position, and would not be upset if we address it in the 1st round. My point is, you can never have too many good corners, same with WR's.

Final verdict 13/22, including Clayton and Ho-o to Av's list of 12, and minus one of the starting corners.
    I believe!

Oh, and Vobora has to be a starting player if he's to set all kinds of records for Mr. Irrelevants!
    I believe!

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Of the current starters (offense/defense), which players do you hope/expect to be starters on opening day 2011?

Here's my list:

QB: Sam Bradford - obviously.
    RB: Steven Jackson - he needs help, and his time is winding down, but I still want him in the starting lineup in 2011.
    LT: Rodger Saffold - future is bright.
    RT: Jason Smith - he might never live up to his draft status, but he is a solid RT who I believe will continue to improve.
    C: Jason Brown - didn't have his best season in 2010, but should bounce back with better OGs around him.

DE: Chris Long - the "Howie's son" thing is becoming a mere footnote.
    DE: James Hall - a long term replacement will be needed, but he earned this spot for at least one more year.
    DT: Fred Robbins - great FA signing.
    MLB: James Laurinaitis - the heart of the defense.
    CB: Ron Bartell - its unfortunate how many Rams fans fail to see just how good he is.
    CB: Brad Fletcher - one of the truly great stories for the Rams in 2010.
    FS: O.J. Atogwe - he must truly be looking forward to a healthy offseason after spending most of last Spring rehabbing injuries.

So, for me, that's 12 of 22 who, in my mind, are secure.

I put the remaining 10 starters in the following categories:

Adequate, but could use an upgrade: OG Jacob Bell, DT Gary Gibson, SLB Na'il Diggs, FB Brit Miller.

Should be depth player (at best), not starter: OG Adam Goldberg, TE Daniel Fells (Note: I think we already have his replacement in Michael Hoomanawanui), WR Danny Amendola, WR Brandon Gibson, SS Craig Dahl, WLB David Vobora.
    This would have been the same list of returning starters I made. As for the other posters question, I think all 12 are quality starters that would easily find starting jobs across the league ...

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I disagree with Amendola only because I think he'd be much more dangerous when he isn't the focal point of the offense. In other words, he's not the WR that's getting double-covered in games. Once we have a true #1 WR whose going to stretch the field, Danny Amendola will be much more dangerous. Now, do I think we need someone else for a return man? I'd like to get someone a bit more explosive but he's certainly done a great job.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

I can not get rid of bell or vobora out of this list. They defenitly have to stay on the team. Bell because he has a full size stuffed Ram above his front door. And Vobora because he drives a chrysler lebaron convertible woody.

Hey I didn't say they were good reasons.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I agree with Av's list completely and I agree with him on his assessment of Bartel. I've been out at parties / bars watching Rams away games and I can't get over how much hate "fans" have for the guy. In the Seattle game when he stripped the receiver of the ball, people literally refused to accept that Bartel could have done that and said it must have been the hit placed upon him by a LBer. Even when the announcers commented it was Bartel, that was deemed impossible. I just don't get it. Is there a rule that fans have to hate their CBs?

The Rams need a Guard (or two), 2 WRs, a SS, DT, WLB, SLB and backup RB. That's 8 people. If you can reduce that number by 4 this offseason I think they are in good shape. This offseason I look for them to add a Guard, WR, WLB and backup RB.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I agree at the players on the list.

As for the comment about Bartell, he is good, but when the QB throws the ball directly into his hands he needs to catch the damn thing

robot is offline Registered User

I agree with the list partially but Amendola in not starting? That's why I don't find this list credible.

Quote Originally Posted by robot View Post
    I agree with the list partially but Amendola in not starting? That's why I don't find this list credible.
    While he was Bradford's most reliable target this year(due to not getting hurt, amazingly enough), Amendola absolutely should not be starting in a traditional NFL offense. He's a perfect slot receiver and Wes Welker clone(who starts, but is pretty much always in the slot or in motion or something in a SPREAD offense), and that's how he should be used. We need two tall and speedy guys outside who draws the coverages away from Danny so that he can get open and make things happen after the catch.
    I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by robot View Post
    Amendola is very good at getting open and getting 7-8 yards when needed. That is not the job description of a starting WR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast