Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fortuninerhater

Thread: How many games does spags need to win to keep his job?

general counsel is offline Registered User

How many games does spags need to win to keep his job?

I dont know how to post a poll, but this seems like a good topic given the Rams pathetic performances to date this season. If i knew how to post a poll, the choices would be the following:

Dont bother, the death watch has commenced and elvis has left the building (which includes he could be gone if we are 0-8)

Personally, i really think he needs to win at least 6 any maybe 7 to keep his job and if the situation gets out of control past the next three weeks (ie if we lose to lousy divisional rivals in addition to the good teams) i will not be shocked if he is gone this year.

Stan Kroenke is not going to stand for a major regression from last year. Spags has lost 7 of his last 8 and what good teams have we beaten in the spags era? Roster overhaul, sure. However, we didnt really show up in the seattle game last year at the end and the start of this year couldnt really be worse. We are playing with no discipline at all, and yes, these are the guys that spags, devaney and mcdaniels wanted. I dont think he keeps his job if we lose to all the good teams and go 4-2 in the division and beat either cincy or cleveland. I think Kroenke will spend the money to make the change if that happens.

I also dont think all hope is lost at this point. Sure, it looks like a debacle of biblical magnitude. Sure, it looks like we can't pass protect or run block, score in the red zone, cover anyone down the field, or catch the ball, but other than that, we arent terrible! All 6 division games are winnable. Cleveland cincy are no better than we are. I still think 8-8 wins the division and if we can get just a little momentum we may beat one good team. I am not saying it will happen, and chances are higher that we wind up really lousy than 8-8, but i really believe its not out of the question. Our chances of beating green bay on the road are about the same as an outbreak of world peace, but i think we have a legit shot vs dallas. One win at a time guys.

Your thoughts on spags, how many does he have to win to keep his job.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: How many games does spags need to win to keep his job?

8. Anything less than an improvement from last year will be a failure.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I would vote 5. I think 5 would be just enough for Spags to be given a chance to redeem himself and the team.

I agree with your overall perspective about how Spags is on a short leash, but I disagree with you saying our division games are winnable. I am not calling any game winnable until the Rams prove they can win a game. At this moment, I think any team in the NFL could beat us by at least a touchdown. The only thing the Rams have shown me is their ability to lose games by consistently playing lousy. The Rams go out on the field with "beat me up" painted on the front of their helmets (Bradford's helmet has blinking lettering). They have shown almost nothing and been kicking around while doing it.

If they win 5 games, I will be shocked. They simply look that beaten and it will only get worse. Green Bay is going to send the Rams home broken, beaten, scarred, and crying for their mommas. They will be a bunch of sad sacks 4 weeks from now.

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

I think six will save it (given the schedule and injuries, plus the unusual pre-season given lockout effects). Five might see him scrape a stay of execution. Anything less is out the door.

Boozer71 is offline Registered User

I don't know, nor do I care...I haven't sat down and even been mildly entertained yet this year watching the Rams play...I can't believe I'm starting to miss boneheads like Incognito, who at least played with a little heart....

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

6 means he turned it around in the second half, so it might be enough, other than that he failed. I love the guy, but get him out.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I think 7 or 8 make him safe, but I don't think the wins total is a guarantee of anything in regards to Spag's and/or for that matter Devany.

I think it comes down to something more intangible, does he still have the team and is he being effective?
    Semper Fi!

Bing69 is offline Registered User

I think the most important thing is that the team actually starts to show they have fight in them. If they toughen up and make games against the bigger teams like Packers, Saints and Steelers etc. then there is some hope. Im not ready to pin this all on Spags, most of the guys are underperforming, how much of that is down to the coaches...i dont know

RebelYell is offline Registered User

5 means he's gone. More talent and considerably less production = gone.
    6 means he's on the bubble. You can argue it either way in my opinion.
    7 means he's staying. If he can win 7 of 12 down the stretch, that's a solid turnaround and easily argued to stay. Fans will ignore the first 4 games if he can achieve that type of success.

RamHigh5 Guest

I don't know what is going to happen with regards to Spags situation and if he will get fired if The Rams take a step backwards this season,but I do know that when professional players commit penalties that stall a drive and receivers are dropping passes right in their hands,as a coach I say something and if it continues,I do something.All I see is our coach patting his players and trying to coddle them.As if to show them he's not upset.Maybe he doesn't want to hurt their confidence.Maybe he doesn't believe in yelling at his players.Well,it's not working coach.Look me up.Get me out there on the practice field,i'll do the yelling for you!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I agree with bing69. I don't think the amount of wins will determine his job security, but rather our competitiveness. He could very well be brought back even if the team wins only 4 or 5 games. Again, it'll depend on our ability to compete.
    Bing69 likes this.