Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    eauclare is offline Registered User

How many holes need to be filled next year

Lets start with the offense: OL, I think you need a OT and a couple of guards. You can't count on Pace to remain healthy. Steussie could be resigned if the price is right. I would prefer a couple of proven FA's and add a couple more via the draft.

WR, we need a speed WR to stretch the field and add depth for Holt and Bruce. Fill this need via the draft.

QB, we need to draft a guy in the mid rounds to develop for the future.

Defense: We need a speed rusher at DE. Either fill via FA or in the first two rounds of the draft. Little is getting up there in age and Hall is average at best.

LB, I would again look to fill this spot via FA or the draft. Pisa is injury prone and we need depth. If we use more 3-4, a DE-OLB like Groves from Auburn would be nice.

Secondary, we need a SS and another CB. Chaveous is a liability. Bob Sanders would be great but will cost to much or will be franchised/resigned by the Colts. Brown is one more failed drug test from missing serious time. We need depth. This would NOT be a top priority though.

So if I counted correctly, we need about 9 spots to fill. There is no way this can be done in one year.

If I had to prioritize, I would address the OL first. Then get a DE and OLB or MLB. If you get the MLB, move Spoon to the edge. Third, get a WR and then a QB in day two of the draft. A SS in day one of the draft would be on my list.

Like I said, there is NO way it can all be fixed this offseason. I think If the OL, DE, LB and SS could be addressed this year it would be very successful. This team could be very competitive next year.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Re: How many holes need to be filled next year

Looks like you have hitted it dead on to me. I say we try to get something for Pace and go for a young OT with our first and DE with the 2nd. Sorry pace.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I wouldn't really say we have a hole at quarterback or linebacker. There's room for improvement, but when I think of a hole, I think of a point of weakness that opponents are going to try to capitalize on. Strictly speaking, I'd say we only have two real holes: defensive end and safety.

I'd say the rest of those would count as priorities as far as depth/development--especially offensive line and receiver--but I wouldn't really call them holes.

eauclare is offline Registered User

If you use your definition of something which opponents are going to try to capitalize on, I would include the OL. They have capitalized on it all year,albeit mainly due to injury. I do agree that WR does not fit in that category, but should be near the top of the priority list.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

I say we draft Mizzou TE Martin Rucker. He is a WR in a TE body. It takes 5 people to tackle him, he's fast, he's strong, good hands, and is a nice blocker.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eauclare View Post
    If you use your definition of something which opponents are going to try to capitalize on, I would include the OL. They have capitalized on it all year,albeit mainly due to injury. I do agree that WR does not fit in that category, but should be near the top of the priority list.
    Yeah, this year I'd say we've had holes all over the offensive line, but that's almost inevitable when you not only lose numerous starters over the course of the season but several of the primary backups as well.

rammiser is offline Registered User

I think we can fill many of our need/depth problems in free agency and not have to break the bank at every position either.

Guards-Faneca, of course this is my dream selection but he would be a great addition to the o-line. Others to consider,Jake Scott Indy, and Kemeoto of Pittsburgh.

Tackle-Max Starks of Pittsburgh, he has come into his own but may be too expensive. Others to consider are Locklear of Seattle and Nat Dorsey from Cleveland. We dont have to have a starter here but we need depth. Jordan Gross is available but he will want big bucks and a starting spot.

Defensive end-Terell Suggs can play linebacker and de and if we switch to a 3-4 may be valuble there as well. Jared Allen is another guy to consider but to find a speed rusher we may have to look to the draft. Of course Chris Long and Cambell are option in the first round if we choose to go that way.

LB-I like our backers but Pisa does get hurt a lot so we may want to add depth through the draft wouldnt over spend for a free agent here. Beckwith is an option if he comes out.

Corner-I would love for the Rams to make a run at Asante Samuel but he is going to want bigtime money and I'd rather spend wisely than blow our wad on one guy. Just think we could use 1 really good corner, Hill and Brown are ok but Samuel could really help.

Safety-I love Atogwe, but Chavous has to go, great leader but his skills have diminished. Not sure there are any in free agency that would help. If we can shore up the o-line and d-line and trade down in the draft and nab a young safety, or pick Kenny Phillips with whatever high pick we get.

WR-Deverey Henderson, should come cheap and has 4.4 speed and is better as a 3rd wr than he is 2nd which is why he's struggling for the Saints this year. From the draft we could get Mario Manningham,Donnie Avery,Kennan Burton or Lavelle Hawkins from rounds 2-4.

QB-I like 2 qb's coming out of college, we could pick up in the later rounds and I like them more than the top rated guys.Colt Brennan the guy can make every throw and may be available in rounds 3-4. Erik Ainge, I know he struggles at times but I think he could sit behind Bulger and develop into a very good NFL qb but he may go in round 2.

Well that's my uneducated analysis on what I'd like to see done in the off season.
    Just Fix It

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post

Corner-I would love for the Rams to make a run at Asante Samuel but he is going to want bigtime money and I'd rather spend wisely than blow our wad on one guy. Just think we could use 1 really good corner, Hill and Brown are ok but Samuel could really help.
    Here we go again. We do not need a 'big time' corner. That is because every 'big time' corner is only as good as the pass rush in front of him. The reason Samuel is so good is because Vince Wilfork and Richard Seymour are two of the most dominant defensive linemen in the NFL, and those Linebackers, especially Rosevelt Colvin, are more than adept as pass rushers.

I love the depth we already have at corner. I'd be more inclined to think that any investment we mad into that position would have to be a day 2 draft pick, or none at all.

I'd say if you were going to blow the bank, blow it, as you say, on Alan Faneca, Justin Smith or Jared Allen.

Chavous' role will be diminished this offseason, and signing Atogwe will be a priority.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Here we go again. We do not need a 'big time' corner. That is because every 'big time' corner is only as good as the pass rush in front of him. The reason Samuel is so good is because Vince Wilfork and Richard Seymour are two of the most dominant defensive linemen in the NFL, and those Linebackers, especially Rosevelt Colvin, are more than adept as pass rushers.

I love the depth we already have at corner. I'd be more inclined to think that any investment we mad into that position would have to be a day 2 draft pick, or none at all.

I'd say if you were going to blow the bank, blow it, as you say, on Alan Faneca, Justin Smith or Jared Allen.

Chavous' role will be diminished this offseason, and signing Atogwe will be a priority.

I did say I would love to have him but know it isnt realistic. This was a wish list and I realize we are not getting him. I'm not as comfortable with our corners as you are but it's just my opinion.
    Just Fix It

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chipperjones View Post
    I say we draft Mizzou TE Martin Rucker. He is a WR in a TE body. It takes 5 people to tackle him, he's fast, he's strong, good hands, and is a nice blocker.
    Yeah, let's definitely do that Scott...err chipper. How many damn TEs do we need?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

he is the real deal, fun to watch after he catches the ball,but we can't take him theres no room with the 16 TE'S Linehan has on the team already.

PS- for you guys who like to jump all over certain quotes,I know we don't have 16 TE's,I was kidding, but we do have to many.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    he is the real deal, fun to watch after he catches the ball,but we can't take him theres no room with the 16 TE'S Linehan has on the team already.

PS- for you guys who like to jump all over certain quotes,I know we don't have 16 TE's,I was kidding, but we do have to many.
    Funny. We actually only have 3 though, Randy, Klop, and Byrd. Walker is gone and on IR. Three TEs is the norm.

For those who like to say Owens is a TE, that's not what we brought him here for, he is here to play FB. At this point though I don't know why he is here since he doesn't play much of anything. :\
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Second half adjustments. Make some!

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Here is what Im saying. Don't resign Walker, Byrd wore out his welcome a while ago, Maybe Klop still has some trade value, trade him for a 4th rounder, pick up Rucker, and he and Randy give you a great 1-2 combo.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Here is what Im saying. Don't resign Walker, Byrd wore out his welcome a while ago, Maybe Klop still has some trade value, trade him for a 4th rounder, pick up Rucker, and he and Randy give you a great 1-2 combo.
    great ideal but we have to many other holes to fill, we really have to get some quality o-linemen to protect Bulger or else we are going to force him into early retirement.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -12-08-2007 at 06:25 PM.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    great ideal but we have to many other holes to fill, we really have to get some quality o-linemen to protect Bulger or else we are going to force him into early retirement.
    Yeah, honestly...TE is the last thing on my mind, that's for sure.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast