AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

How many players on the Rams roster have "reached their peak"?

It occurs to me that talk of "improvement from within" should be given more consideration. Sure, as fans, we love to see shiny new toys arrive in free agency and on draft weekend but, sometimes, the real improvement starts in your own locker room.

In this regard, I would submit that there is only three players on the Rams entire roster (among those who are likely to be back in 2013) who clearly have "reached their peak." The first is Steven Jackson. I think most would agree that, while he may have a couple of good years left, he's not getting any better. The second is Scott Wells, who likely is not going play better than he did in Green Bay (but will hopefully play as well). Finally, there's Quintin Mikell, who is probably on the downside of his career.

Some might argue that other players, like James Laurinaitis, Chris Long, Harvey Dahl and Cortland Finnegan, may be at their peak, though I doubt many would argue that they their play is going downhill (maybe some feel that way about H.Dahl, but I don't).

That leaves a lot of players who are still climbing toward their best days. I think that, in particular, Sam Bradford, Chris Givens, Michael Brockers, Robert Quinn and Janoris Jenkins are all players with a HUGE upside. I'm hoping the same will prove true with respect to Brian Quick, Roger Saffold, Lance Kendricks, Isaiah Pead, Daryl Richardson and Trumaine Johnson.

The good news is that we finally have a set coaching staff in place, and no labor troubles to delay the offseason program. This offseason should be as much about building on what we have as it is about adding to the mix.

emuen is offline Registered User

Re: How many players on the Rams roster have "reached their peak"?

I am of the conviction that Richardson might have reached his peak at this point. Or at least is very close.
    He showed good speed and determination when running, and did a good job on the outside runs. However he seemed to lack vision, and often lowered his head and settled for the extra yard.
    This is his style of running, and there is nothing wrong with that. It works. I just have doubts that he can build on it going forward.

Next year I think we will see why Pead was drafted ahead of Richardson, and pass him on the depth chart. Pead didn't leave a great sample size, but he did show quickness and vision up the middle (he did lack Richardsons decisiveness).

If Pead passes him on the depth chart, it will impact Richardsons progress as well.

I agree with the people listed as "reached their peak", but am curious to how "HUGE upside" is defined? I guess Pead could have HUGE upside because he didn't do anything this year.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'd define "huge upside" as a player who could develop into a Pro Bowl level player within the next 2-3 years.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Yeah, I'm on this bandwagon for "improvement from within". I said as much in another thread yesterday. We'll get some help in the draft and FA route but the current group's improvement or lack thereof is what's going to make or break this team in the near term. I think one of the big keys will be the benefit of continuity with the experienced Fisher & Co.

chucknbob is offline Registered User

I think that Jenkins has that "huge upside". I know, he's already up there, but I think he's got the potential to be one of the top guys in the league.