RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

How much does the ownership situation affect FA signings?

With FA just beginning I was sitting here daydreaming of the players I'd love to see become Rams, and it occurred to me that with the ownership situation up in the air, will the Rams even be able to spend top tier money to a top tier FA right now? Or is it all on hold til the ownership situation gets settled. Would Khan want someone else spending his money?

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: How much does the ownership situation affect FA signings?

This is the way I understand it, and trust me, I am in no way an expert. But I think that any money spent during this FA comes from team salary, which is what the owners put into the team. That mean Lucia and Chip would have to spend money out of their own pockets for FA. Khan has no bearing on the situation until he takes over.

Atleast I think thats how it works, someone correct me if I am wrong.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    This is the way I understand it, and trust me, I am in no way an expert. But I think that any money spent during this FA comes from team salary, which is what the owners put into the team. That mean Lucia and Chip would have to spend money out of their own pockets for FA. Khan has no bearing on the situation until he takes over.

Atleast I think thats how it works, someone correct me if I am wrong.
    If that's the case, that's even worse. Why would they spend any money on a team they are getting rid of? Either way it doesn't look good for FA signings.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

theres still Stan Kreonke about to splash the cash in the meantime..tho its anyones guess what his long term future regarding his role with the club is...

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Under the current cap situation, there is no floor on what the team has to spend. The team can go into the season with a salary of $75 million and it is perfectly fine. With the season probably being locked down in 2011, it's very likely.

I think the lack of a CBA is 10x more important than the ownership situation. JMO. The Rams made it very clear they aren't interested in spending a lot of money on 30 year old players. The important part being "a lot". They'll sign several in a few weeks that are 1 or 2 year deals for lower amounts.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Under the current cap situation, there is no floor on what the team has to spend. The team can go into the season with a salary of $75 million and it is perfectly fine. With the season probably being locked down in 2011, it's very likely.

I think the lack of a CBA is 10x more important than the ownership situation. JMO. The Rams made it very clear they aren't interested in spending a lot of money on 30 year old players. The important part being "a lot". They'll sign several in a few weeks that are 1 or 2 year deals for lower amounts.
    I'd say $6 million for an ostensible backup quarterback is "a lot"

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Who knows? I wager the contract of sale has causes within causes much like those like a house sale but more comlicated. Amoung those causes is on-going expense to keep the doors open, retention expenses, and a host of other condition of sale I can't even fathom.

Its been the Rams history to be rather soft on FA and even softer on salary. Certainly the smaller market of St Louis, poor attendance, lack luster proformance will be an issue with what the Rams will doel out. But then again who knows.

From the way I see it, its still early in FA, there is the draft, and then pre-season to work through before the roaster is finished to make a run for the 2010 season