Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

How much longer will Pace be a Ram?

Most of us think the Bruce is the "old man" of this squad, but I think that Pace has less time left with the Rams than Bruce does. Pace takes hits on every play, he's been injured recently, and to me he's lost a step or two. Bruce had one of his most productive years last year.

Just curious on y'alls thoughts....

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: How much longer will Pace be a Ram?

Pace is 31. I don't agree with the "lost a step or two" comment. A half-step, at worst. He still has 3-4 years left in his prime. Even if he's only 75% of what he was at his best, that still means he's better than 90% of the OTs in the league.

Well, that's a hopeful outlook....especially protecting Bulger's backside.

bigtiger737 Guest

??? hmmm this isn't even an issue right now, both are here and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtiger737 View Post
    ??? hmmm this isn't even an issue right now, both are here and strong.
    well bigtiger....it is the offseason and it's during my lull week in tax preparations so if I don't find stuff to talk about with the Rams you are going to force me to either:

A...count the ceiling tiles again....or
    B...talk to my girlfriend.

Let's see....1....2....3....

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I figure Pace may start for another four years or so. Offensive linemen often last into their mid-thirties.

thoey is offline Registered User

There were times last year pre-injury that I questioned his heart. Don't get me wrong, I agree with Av that he fights on every play, just seemed a couple times that if he got beat, he kinda looked like he gave up. I say two - three years or the next big injury, which ever comes first.
    This space for rent...

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    There were times last year pre-injury that I questioned his heart. Don't get me wrong, I agree with Av that he fights on every play, just seemed a couple times that if he got beat, he kinda looked like he gave up. I say two - three years or the next big injury, which ever comes first.
    I kind of had the same feeling about his effort at times. Something did not look right, even before he was injured. I think this year will be very telling for Pace.

Thats why I brought it up. Thought it was just me, but Pace didn't seem to have that fire in him last year. Maybe it was just a temporary thing but I'm not sure.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Man, Tx believe it or not I was mulling over my own mock draft last night and I kept coming up with Levi Brown of Penn State at #13 for the Rams. At first I recoiled in horror as I (like most other clannies) want a DEFENSIVE STUD at #13; but in my rather ugly mock, everybody I would be interested in was already gone. I then started the rationalization process and, as a few others have already stated, it occurred to me that O. Pace wasn't the same player even before his injury: and then I also figured that if A. Barron doesn't get his act together he may also be replaced sooner than later. My main question at this point is could Levi Brown play guard at a high level while we wait and see what happens to our bookend tackles? If so, this could be a strong possibility as it is quite possible that the Rams have Brown graded way up there and maybe even higher that Alan Branch, the DT from Michigan.
    At any rate, kudos for starting this thread. It's actually kinda eerie doncha think?

WHAT SAY YE?

RamOfDenmark Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Man, Tx believe it or not I was mulling over my own mock draft last night and I kept coming up with Levi Brown of Penn State at #13 for the Rams. At first I recoiled in horror as I (like most other clannies) want a DEFENSIVE STUD at #13; but in my rather ugly mock, everybody I would be interested in was already gone. I then started the rationalization process and, as a few others have already stated, it occurred to me that O. Pace wasn't the same player even before his injury: and then I also figured that if A. Barron doesn't get his act together he may also be replaced sooner than later. My main question at this point is could Levi Brown play guard at a high level while we wait and see what happens to our bookend tackles? If so, this could be a strong possibility as it is quite possible that the Rams have Brown graded way up there and maybe even higher that Alan Branch, the DT from Michigan.
    At any rate, kudos for starting this thread. It's actually kinda eerie doncha think?

WHAT SAY YE?
    I was surprised after reading that I don't find this suggestion as crazy as I thought I would, reading through your post I see what you mean, it makes sense to me. I'm not saying we should draft an offensive tackle in the first round, but I do see where you're coming from.

I'm losing patience with Barron a little bit, he doesn't seem to want to do the things neccessary to improve, otherwise he would have improved the mental aspect a long time ago, he has had plenty of reps in practice and playing time to get his **** together IMO.

And with Pace I also noticed a drop-off in his play, I think what Tx said about him not playing with the fire he used to is also how I see it - I think it stands out the most on running plays. On running plays Pace has to be in-your-face aggressive and take the initiative and run people over, I didn't see that as much as usually this year. It's a bit easier in pass-protection where he can stand back and use his still superior physical tools to win the battle, it's less aggressive so him missing some fire doesn't show as much there I think.

In conclusion I still think we really need to draft a big DT, I'm still bummed we didn't grab Ngata last year, this year Branch is #1 on my board with Okoye #2. I'm just afraid we won't be able to get either without a trade up. But if the top defensive players we need are gone and we can't trade down, taking an offensive tackle who's possibly the best player available might not be the worst thing to do.

bigtiger737 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    well bigtiger....it is the offseason and it's during my lull week in tax preparations so if I don't find stuff to talk about with the Rams you are going to force me to either:

A...count the ceiling tiles again....or
    B...talk to my girlfriend.

Let's see....1....2....3....
    lol ok fair enough man, I'd go with celling tiles before the girlfriend though

BigDaddyPace Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post

WHAT SAY YE?
    IF WE GET AN OL IN THE FIRST ROUND I WILL BEAT SCOTT LINEHAN UP, AND BOYCOTT THE RAMS UNTIL HE IS FIRED.

Not really, but it would suck...bigtime.

I agree that Pace has lost a step in the last three years and that he takes plays off at times, but he's still one of the best in the game and OLs typically stay productive into their mid-30s and the better ones into thier late 30 and early 40s. I think Pace will be one of the best in the league until the day he retires (i.e. Willie Roaf) and I hope he retires a Ram.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

The ceiling tiles would let you actually say something without having to listen to feedback on your statement

RnD

GO RAMS!!:l
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Ducksauce Guest

Cool Re: How much longer will Pace be a Ram?

Ya i hope that he stays for like 10 more years. But i think that he will will really stay for like only 4. Matters what they pay him i guess. Or if he just loves football.:seasux:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast