RamWraith is offline Registered User

How much push can Jackson take?

By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Steven Jackson won’t play Saturday vs. the Ravens. He might not play Thursday, when the Rams wrap up their four-game preseason schedule in Kansas City. Still, the real question is, does Jackson have enough time to get ready for a full load of work by Sept. 7, when the Rams open the regular season in Philadelphia?

“I definitely believe so,” Jackson said this week after ending his 27-day holdout. “I’m physically in shape. I just have to get used to the hits. Hopefully next week, I can get some of the scout teams to get after me so I can get used to hitting the ground, taking contact and carrying the ball.”

Coach Scott Linehan indicated that Jackson will be on a ramped-up schedule. “We’ve got a plan to get him extra work,” Linehan said. “It’s not like you can replace two-a-days, but you can certainly work him physically to where he’s getting himself in shape that way. And he’s got to (be in) pads probably a little bit more, even on days when (the rest of team is) not in pads, so we can have him get knocked around a little bit.”

Of course, the difficult part is, how much is too much? The risk of injury increases when a player is pushed, but Jackson is pretty smart about knowing his body’s limits. Still, there will plenty of crossed fingers at Rams Park during the next couple of weeks.

<><><>

Jackson make it clear that he wants to play against the Chiefs. “I’d love to play in the final preseason game,” he said. “I know I missed a lot of time. Whatever game tempo, game action I can get. I’ll be willing to take a full load if I need to.”

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

>>Saturday’s game is a sellout and will be televised live locally (KTVI, Channel 2). But don’t expect to see 65,000 seats filled. The game was included in some of the presold ticket plans, plus a large number of tickets were provided to area youth football associations as part of a leaguewide initiative and could be counted toward the sellout.

>>Keep an eye on Brock Berlin and Bruce Gradkowski. The competition for the No. 3 QB job rages on.

>>At some point, iso on WR Donnie Avery and just take in his speed. He really has some jets. Avery might get some return work vs. Baltimore, too.

>>No break for the Rams’ first-team offense, which hasn’t produced a preseason TD in the Linehan era: The Ravens had the league’s sixth stingiest defense in ‘07.

>>The Rams really need to get S Oshiomogho Atogwe and CB Fakhir Brown (shoulder) back on the field. Todd Johnson and Ron Bartell have filled in admirably, but the secondary is dangerously thin right now.

All for now . . .

eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: How much push can Jackson take?

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Steven Jackson won’t play Saturday vs. the Ravens. He might not play Thursday, when the Rams wrap up their four-game preseason schedule in Kansas City. Still, the real question is, does Jackson have enough time to get ready for a full load of work by Sept. 7, when the Rams open the regular season in Philadelphia?
    I don't think it helps by rushing him into this I would wait to the Philadelphia game and let him play himself into shape.
    :ramlogo:

Mooselini is offline Registered User

It would be nice to have Jackson in shape and playing against Philly. We need to have him in there, because I believe this game will be nothing but containing each of the two star running backs.

As for Avery, I hope he gets his start tonight. I haven't been impressed with Burton at all so far. I want to see if Avery enlightens me.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

1. I like Gradkowski
    2. Looking forward to seeing Avery
    3. As happy as I am to see Jackson back, why didn't he just get a hold of some of the guy's on the clan ram to go push him around while he was holding out?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I haven't been impressed with Burton at all so far. I want to see if Avery enlightens me.

Being an SEC guy down here on the plains (WAR DAMN EAGLE!) I got to see Keenan and Kentucky almost every Saturday while waiting on the AU game. (us being primetime and all!) Even though he hasn't really stood out yet, I think we're all gonna be happy w/ Burton. I swear this guy made countless huge plays last year.