Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: How Popular Are the Rams??

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

How Popular Are the Rams??

Where each NFL team ranks in popularity
    May, 26, 2012
    By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

We know where NFC West teams stand in popularity among Americans.

2012 Fan Favorites: Teams
    Rank Team Pct.
    1 Cowboys 8.8
    2 Packers 7.2
    3 Giants 7.1
    4 Steelers 7.1
    5 Patriots 6.8
    6 Bears 4.2
    7 Saints 4.1
    8 ***** 4.0
    9 Eagles 3.9
    10 Broncos 3.8
    11 Colts 2.8
    12 Raiders 2.5
    13 Redskins 2.4
    14 Vikings 2.2
    15 Lions 2.2
    16 Dolphins 1.9
    17 Chiefs 1.6
    18 Seahawks 1.6
    19 Jets 1.5
    20 Chargers 1.5
    21 Browns 1.4
    22 Bills 1.4
    23 Ravens 1.3
    24 Texans 1.2
    25 Buccaneers 1.2
    26 Falcons 1.2
    27 Titans 1.1
    28 Panthers 1.0
    29 Cardinals 0.8
    30 Bengals 0.8
    31 Rams 0.7
    32 Jaguars 0.4

Pollsters conduct 1,500 monthly telephone interviews with a nationally representative sample of Americans age 12 and older. They have reached 390,000 Americans since 1994 via land lines and cell phones, in English and Spanish.

The San Francisco ***** were the highest-ranked NFC West team at No. 8.

I was a little surprised to see the Detroit Lions ranked among the top 15, above the Miami Dolphins and New York Jets. The Baltimore Ravens (23rd) ranked lower than I would have expected relative to their on-field performance.

The Indianapolis Colts (11th) and Raiders were the highest-ranked teams to have relocated to another city in the past three decades.

Seven of the 10 least popular teams were relatively new to their cities, either through relocation or expansion. Those teams were Baltimore, Houston, Tennessee, Carolina, Arizona, St. Louis and Jacksonville. Tampa Bay, Atlanta and Cincinnati ranked among the bottom 10 despite longer tenures in their current cities.

Unhealthy franchises tend to move. Once they do move, they start fresh with a new fan base. It then takes time to build up equity with multiple generations of fans.

In the Cardinals' case, the fan base includes quite a few transplants with loyalties in other markets.

The chart shows which percentage of respondents said they favored particular teams. There were no ties (I rounded to the tenth for readability). Note that 10.3 percent of respondents did not identify a favorite team.

I find it disgusting that the Cowgirls are listed as being #1. Jerry Jones must have paid someone off ...

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: How Popular Are the Rams??

The Cowboys have long been at the top, hence "America's Team". Personally, I could care less about where the Rams rank in popularity. Die-Hard Rams fans may be relatively small in number, but they are strong in conviction and loyalty.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Wonder what the 99 rams ranked at the time?
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Doesn't really matter to me where we rank in terms of popularity. The fans who stick by us now are the loyal and dedicated fans, plus we don't have to deal with the media constantly giving us too much publicity to the point where other fans get sick of it.

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Doesn't really matter to me where we rank in terms of popularity. The fans who stick by us now are the loyal and dedicated fans
    exactly, ive always felt that sticking with the team through these bad time will make the good times so much more rewarding.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Living in the Bay Area, I feel like .07 BUT I will always be a Ram fan and find others that are to be of a higher intellect with impeccable taste

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

Wow Rams down next to the last team. Unbelievable!
    The List is Life!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
    Wow Rams down next to the last team. Unbelievable!
    I'd say it's quite believable. We have literally been the worst team in the NFL for half a decade, and have no long standing national tradition.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

surprised teams like Carolina are above us.quite new expansion teams etc....
    also that the Cardinals according to that report have more fans in the U.S. one of the reasons for this is..i know or atleast know of hundreds,perhaps thousands of Rams fans in SoCal. i don't know of one single person in the St.Louis area who is still a Cardinals fan.

St.louis as a whole clearly isn't as big on football as other areas.but i would have thought throughout the rest of the U.S they would be more popular and that would boost up our rank.

it is worth remembering that even tho a lot of people had been asked the question. it`s not that much compared to how many football fans there are throughout the states. how many of you Rams fans living in the states had a phonecall ?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This falls under the who cares category for me. There is no other NFL team in my heart. Rams forever!
    THOLTFAN81 and Flippin' Ram like this.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Figures. You could probably create a formula that could accurately predict the top of the list based solely on total number of Super Bowl victories, most recent Super Bowl victory, and recent record.

• The Steelers, Cowboys, *****, Packers, and Giants are the top five teams in number of SB wins. All but San Francisco made it into the top five in popularity, and they've been bad for most of the last decade. The Patriots round out the fave five after playing in five of the last eleven championship games.
    • In the 6-10 range, you have the Bears (presumably still riding the tide from '85?), the 2009 SB champion Saints, the 5x SB winner *****, the Eagles, and then the 2-time SB winning Broncos of Elway fame.
    • In the 11-15 range, you start off with the 2-time SB winner Colts, 3-time SB winner Raiders, and the 3-time SB winner Redskins. At this point, 10 of the 11 teams that have won 2 or more Super Bowls (all except Miami, which hasn't won a championship since '73) are represented in the top 13. Then there's the Vikings and the suddenly formidable in recent years Lions.

The rest of the list gets harder to explain. Expansion teams tend to be lower on the list than teams that have been around since before the AFL-NFL merger, but the Titans, Bengals and Rams are the exceptions to that rule. Market size probably plays a factor, but even that doesn't explain how the Seahawks could be above the Jets, Chargers and Ravens. Seattle is actually the one team on that list for which I honestly couldn't come up with a logical explanation.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -05-27-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Seattle is actually the one team on that list for which I honestly couldn't come up with a logical explanation.
    Location. if you want to see pro football in that part of the states you are hundreds of miles from an alternative option. with the Jets and Chargers there`s so many alternatives.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'd say it's quite believable. We have literally been the worst team in the NFL for half a decade, and have no long standing national tradition.
    Sad but true .. Where did we pick in the draft this year? Number 2 overall - in other words - we were the second worst team. So now we are the 31st most popular? I suppose you could say we earned it - same as the #2 overall spot .. That said:

I agree with Laramo, that to a bonafide Ram fan our nation wide popularity doesn't matter at all. I enjoy watching other teams play during the season, but I can easily be distracted during non Ram games. I mostly don't care much about who wins either, with the exception of 2 teams. Whiners and cowgirls, and if they happen to be playing each other, I like for the cowgirls to win.

On the other hand, when the Rams are playing, I am intent and focused. I do not want to be interrupted or distracted, talk on the phone, etc. I am not given to cursing much these days, but during Ram games, as my neighbors can verify, it is better to keep small children out of earshot. I admit to being a shameless "homer" particularly when the zebras make (IMHO) questionable calls, and even more so - "non calls" I believe they should've made ..

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

There is no mystery as to why the Rams rank so low. Location, tradition and a consistantly competitive team. Not necesarily in that order. Had the Rams stayed in LA, their rankings would have been higher even with the bad seasons just due to their long established tradition. They were a very popular in the 60's, 70's, and into the 80's. (until local fans got wise to the previous owner who-shall-not-be-named) They had a great tradition of competitiveness and had some great post-season rivalries with the Vikings and Cowboys, even though they never won the big one. They were still relevent. ...but when they moved on, so did a LOT of fans and their strong fan base.

They've not been successful in St. Louis outside of the magical years of 1999 through 2003. Other than that small 4-year window, they've been a pathetic organization. 4 winning seasons in 17 is bad. REAL bad. So, they've not been able to re-establish a strong fanbase in a small TV market and they're not picking up new fans because they're not relevent. Had they maintained the winning after the SB win, things might be different. I would bet that many current fans are fans only because of the SB win and the GSOT. ...and I'm also bettin' some of them are, or have moved on because they've tired of the futility.

But winning isn't everything. Look at the Lions. When did they win anything? However, they've been in an area for so long that they've developed some strong tradition and die-hard fans. They pass on their fandome down through the family. Grandpa was a Lions fan, Dad was a Lions fan, and his son will be a Lions fan. Rams? ...Not so much.

It is sad now when I go into online blogs and conversations about the NFL, you have a hard time finding Rams fans in any of them. Even in conversations with other NFCW fans, the Ram fans rarely contribute. In fact, it's usually a standing joke about the "two Ram fans" and "where are the Ram fans?" They're just not in the conversation anymore. They're just not relevent anymore. Winning will help, but it will take years of winning to make them relevent again.

Also, a great owner. The Rams (since Mr. Rosenbloom) have been known for not "selling their brand". The owner who-shall-not-be-named, never understood that. Hopefully Mr. K does. What he does with the team in the next few years could very well re-establish the Rams as a team with die-hard followers and a winning tradition. Wherever that may be.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

More than anything, this poll shows that a significant number of fans are short-term, fair weather fans. That's why teams who have had recent success are at the top of the list.

I'm betting that if a poll like this had been done in the GSOT years, the Rams would have been in the Top 10.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast