Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: How quickly can the Rams turn it around?

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

How quickly can the Rams turn it around?

This question falls squarely on the shoulders of Mr. Stanley E. Kroenke.

His first order of business for turning this around must be blowing the whole thing up. Billy is inadequate at bringing in talent at the level thats needed to be competitive in the NFL, and Spags (who I think is an incredible defensive mind), is not ready to lead a team of 53 any time soon.

Now that Stan has blown things up to put his stamp on the team here is what he must do:

The man cannot be cheap. This head coaching search is going to be competitive, with many teams searching for a new leader, and all going for the big names. Him and his wife are worth a COMBINED 7 BILLION dollars. Yes, you read that right. Not some made up number bajillion, they are worth 7 billion dollars. He needs to get Jon Gruden, Jeff Fisher, and Bill Cowher on the phone. He needs to say to them all "Do you have any interest in returning to coaching?" In regards to Cowher and Gruden, he must play to their egos. Every coach loves being the first to do something big. There is one achievement that has yet to be attained that I am sure is in the back of many SB Head Coaches that aren't coaching now. No coach in the history of the NFL has ever won a Super Bowl with two different teams. Stan must tell them he thinks they have what it takes to be the first to do this. So long as one of the three of them say yes, he should call them in for an interview and during that interview throw a blank check on the table and say "Write down the number, and you're hired." The man has the money to not be stingy, and its going to take $ to lure a big name here to clean up this mess. I think Gruden and Cowher are available for the right price.

Now that we have successfully secured a big prize of a former head coach, he will allow the head coach to hire the GM, unconventional, but smart. GM-HC relationship is a bond. They must be close, and not have resentment i.e Pioli and Haley. Now that the Head Coach has succesfully secured someone that he trusts to be his GM, Stan will hand a few more blank checks to our hired head coach. He will say "Heres some more money for the rest of the staff. Go compile the best staff in the NFL."

Now let the Staff and management go to work...results will show.

So to get to the initial topic of this post, I think if the Rams bring in the right coaches we can turn it around as soon as next season. We won 7 games last year in spite of coaching, and are much better than 2 wins this season. I think two years is the max it would take to turn this around with the right people.

While I will support us bringing in a hot coordinator i.e. Chudzinski or anyone to replace Spags, Stan cannot go cheap. Our future depends on his ability to use the riches that he has attained throughout his life to bring in someone with $$$$$. It will take longer to see results if we go this route, and I want results ASAP.

January 2nd we will find out a lot about Mr. Stanley E. Kroenke. We will find out whether he truly wants to fix this, or if he has another agenda and doesn't care about the Rams or attendance. My guess is, given his competitive background, he's going to do whatever it takes to get this turned around ASAP. If changes aren't made, next season is going to be a long, miserable season as usual.

Ultimately, one of these three men are the key to turning it around at Rams Park:
    Fettmaster and Ironmaidenram like this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: How quickly can the Rams turn it around?

Jeff Fisher is the only candidate I'm willing to support in terms of HC experience because of his 4-3 background and resume of bringing the most out of his talents. Cowher is a great coach also but his schemes are fit best on the 3-4 defense. I'm really skeptical about Gruden since he relies on vets when the Rams blueprint is more on youth movement while he sort of crippled the Bucs during his tenure as HC, and that I wanted to puke when he said he would trade Bradford for RGIII (kind of shows how much of a tool he is).

I don't really understand why Devaney should get the boot since he's done better talent evaluation than what Zygmunt/Shaw did these last few decades. If anyone wants to find a new GM, who else do you think would be better at evaluating talent for us?

The second most important offseason hire should be getting Josh Heupel to be our QB coach, he knows Bradford's play more than anyone and he help him look like the franchise QB he hoped for him to be.
    svh01 likes this.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

flip, I like Fisher too. I worry about a big name coming out of retirement coaching "for the money". I want a good coach that still has that "fire in the belly". I like what John Fox is doing. Sometimes these guys like Fox just seem to need a change of scenery.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I am of the firm belief that the Rams can definitely contend for a .500 record next year at worst. Despite the current futility, we are not faced with the same dearth of talent we faced 3-4 years ago. Bradford, Jackson, Laurinaitis, Long, Stewart, Mikell, Lloyd, Amendola, Salas, Kendricks, Bartell etc. are all players who are either impact players or have the potential to be impact players when healthy and in the right set of circumstances. Yes, we absolutely need upgrades in numerous spots. Yes, we absolutely need an impact player or two added to this offense. And yes, major changes need to be made with staff. But the cupboard is not bare.

All of this, of course is predicated on Stan making the right decisions upon seasons' end. This team needs to be toughened up and infused with a "refuse to lose" attitude. And while a "name" coach or player isn't always the answer, I feel in the case of the Rams a guy with immediate credibility (Fisher, Gruden) needs to be brought in here to restore order. Stan must indeed open up the checkbook and extole the virtues of coaching this team.

To me, the Rams are an attractive job for a prosepective coach. First of all, they're owned by a billionaire who you'd think wouldn't hesitate to spend money. Secondly, they have a potential franchise QB in place. And three, the opportunity exists for a formerly established coach to add to his reputation by coming in and turning around a franchise that's been a mess. If he can get it going, he'll be a hero, and if he can't, he won't be the guy blamed for the Rams being a bad team- they're ALREADY bad. It's win-win for a prospective coach.
    THOLTFAN81 and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    I don't really understand why Devaney should get the boot since he's done better talent evaluation than what Zygmunt/Shaw did these last few decades. If anyone wants to find a new GM, who else do you think would be better at evaluating talent for us?
    Comparing anyone to Shaw/Zyggy is going to favorable to that person, but Devaney is more of the problem than Spags even. The entire OL has been built by Devaney and it's the most overpriced OL in the NFL and one of the poorest. The only member when healthy that has shown you can count on him is Dahl. Brown and Bell have been very expensive busts, Smith could turn out to be an even bigger and costlier bust than those two, and Saffold is an unknown at this point, good as a rookie and awful this year. There has been a ton of cap dollars invested in the OL and the results have been dreadful. Considering how much $$$ is committed to Bradford, the very weak OL is a major problem.

Devaney's unwillingness to address the WR spot until Lloyd fell out of the sky into his lap and poor FA signings such as the aforementioned Brown and Bell to go along with James Butler, Poppinga, Leber, MSW, etc and the very small amount of Rams draftees being on a roster that is the 3rd oldest in the NFL all indicate to me he needs to be first in the firing line.

The second most important offseason hire should be getting Josh Heupel to be our QB coach, he knows Bradford's play more than anyone and he help him look like the franchise QB he hoped for him to be.
    Bradford knows more about being in the NFL as a QB and NFL offenses and defenses than Heupel. Why not get a proven QB coach that has NFL experience with NFL QB's as well as the whole NFL way of football? It's a lot different from college and the Rams have a ton invested in Bradford....why go the very unproven with no NFL experience route here?

Flip- Jeff Fisher is the only candidate I'm willing to support in terms of HC experience because of his 4-3 background and resume of bringing the most out of his talents.
    Fisher has run a 3-4 throughout his whole career, just as an FYI. Im sure he would adjust though.

Quote Originally Posted by bradwill View Post
    the very small amount of Rams draftees being on a roster that is the 3rd oldest in the NFL all indicate to me he needs to be first in the firing line.
    This would be a slight against Devaney....if not for the fact that Spags has final say over the 53 man roster. He chooses who stays and who goes/

Interesting nugget I found regarding Gruden:

It is noteworthy that Gruden and St. Louis COO Kevin Demoff worked together during their common tenures in Tampa Bay, so they obviously have a decent feel for one another.

In fact, while working for the Bucs as a senior assistant, Gruden offered up this praise for Demoff, from pewterreport.com:

Kevin is a genius and his dad has really done a lot in the world of sports, said Gruden. Kevin understands the salary cap and the creativity in doing a contract. Any business decision we’re involved in he has the ability to brainstorm on these issues and have an opinion. Whether or not we always agree with him [or not], I don’t know. I don’t sit up there with the Blackberry and look cross-eyed into the computers.

Some of the statistical information he gathers, some of the forecasting, trends and all of these things he does are valuable. You can predict the outcome of certain teams based on their current or past salary cap situations. You can predict that these four players are going to have to go in 2008. You can predict these things if you spend the time to do it. It’s no mistake that some people predicted some of the things happening here that happened here from a salary cap standpoint. He’s one of them. But Kevin can also help us prevent from having that happen again. He’s a weather forecaster in a lot of ways.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

How quickly can they turn it around you ask? Well they were 4 and 12 in '98 and won the Superbowl after the '99 season.

I'd say fortunes can change pretty quickly, if you make the right moves.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Rams aren't that far off once they get healthy. The talent level is FAR higher than it was last season.

On offense they have Bradford, Jackson, Dahl, Saffold and a bunch of #2 and #3 WRs. Really, 2 people could change this into a premier offense. #1 WR and a tackle.

On defense they have Jlau, Long, Quinn, Mikell and contrary to popular belief, Fletcher, Bartell and Murphy are a quality trio at CB and Sims and Salas appear to be quality future players. On defense they could use a SS, OLB and DT.

edit: I also doubt Cowher, Fisher or Gruden are coaching next season anywhere but the Giants. Gruden has a sweet job, Fisher isn't getting anyone overly excited and Cowher wants to go to the East Coast if he's coaching again. JMO
    Last edited by RebelYell; -12-22-2011 at 04:46 PM.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fearsome foursome View Post
    flip, I like Fisher too. I worry about a big name coming out of retirement coaching "for the money". I want a good coach that still has that "fire in the belly". I like what John Fox is doing. Sometimes these guys like Fox just seem to need a change of scenery.
    Fox has nearly always put out good, consistent football in Carolina. I'd say the nearest thing to him on the market would be Jeff Fisher. I read the other day that Fisher is waiting until the end of the season, before he makes any decision's about his coaching future. I hope Kroenke has already had a word with him.?
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Rams aren't that far off once they get healthy. The talent level is FAR higher than it was last season.

On offense they have Bradford, Jackson, Dahl, Saffold and a bunch of #2 and #3 WRs. Really, 2 people could change this into a premier offense. #1 WR and a tackle.
    And a LG...and a C....and maybe another tackle. Saffold was the lowest rated LOT in the NFL prior to his injury and the jury is still out on whether he's as good as he looked as a rookie or as awful as he was this year or somewhere in between.

With the Rams' OL as it stands right now, this team isn't contending for anything, no matter who is at WR. While McDaniels' playcalling has been suspect, the reason he's throwing on 3rd and 1 or at the 1 yard line is because you cannot rely on this OL to consistently get a yard, even with Jackson running. With a decent OL, SJ is a Pro Bowler. With this OL, forget it. That's not even considering the woeful pass protection and complete inability to handle any kind of blitzing.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I'd like to throw Brian Billick into the hat as well, i think hes deserves consideration if those 3 do.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

mh-i is offline Registered User

2-14 to , should be 1-15, turning into a contender in one year? That's funny.

GoSTLRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Fisher has run a 3-4 throughout his whole career, just as an FYI. Im sure he would adjust though.
    Fisher runs a 4-3. In fact, when he became DC of the Rams, he switched the defense from a 3-4 to a 4-3.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bradwill View Post
    And a LG...and a C....and maybe another tackle. Saffold was the lowest rated LOT in the NFL prior to his injury and the jury is still out on whether he's as good as he looked as a rookie or as awful as he was this year or somewhere in between. With the Rams' OL as it stands right now, this team isn't contending for anything, no matter who is at WR. While McDaniels' playcalling has been suspect, the reason he's throwing on 3rd and 1 or at the 1 yard line is because you cannot rely on this OL to consistently get a yard, even with Jackson running. With a decent OL, SJ is a Pro Bowler. With this OL, forget it. That's not even considering the woeful pass protection and complete inability to handle any kind of blitzing.
    While the O Line looked awful this year, I think one big move could solidify it. Also the addition of a play making WR could help lessen some stress on the line out of respect. NFL teams know they can handle our WR in single man coverage, so blitzes come all to often. Blackmon and one or two new lineman can completely revamp this stalled offense.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast