Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: How should the Rams defend the pistol/read option offense?

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

How should the Rams defend the pistol/read option offense?

Even though I believe the read option/pistol offenses are just a fad (eventually teams are going to figure out how to defend it just like they did the Wildcat), we should look into improving our roster to better defend it next year; let's face it, Kaepernick and Russell Wilson are going to be in the NFC West for many more years to come. I think the best way for the Rams to stop the Wilsons, Kaepernicks, and RGIII's of the world is for them to use their extra lineman (in the 4-3) to their advantage. If the DT's hold their ground on the inside, the DE's could push further into the backfield, forcing the QB to either handoff to the RB or cut inside to run it himself. With some patient OLB's (hopefully we could get one or two in the draft or through FA) playing in the holes vacated by the DE's, the QB has less room to run and shouldn't be able to break off for long gains like they're accustomed too. With Laurinaitis guarding against the inside run, we should be better prepared than most teams in guarding against it. Hopefully the Rams could get a run-stopping stud safety in the draft, then our defense would definitely be scary good. What do you guys think?

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Re: How should the Rams defend the pistol/read option offense?

They seemed to cope alright this season against them. 1 division lose at seattle...
    THOLTFAN81 and ramsanddodgers like this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

The same way they did during the regular season which as others have already stated in various other posts about the read option produced a 3-1-1 record.
    HUbison and ramsanddodgers like this.

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    The same way they did during the regular season which as others have already stated in various other posts about the read option produced a 3-1-1 record.
    So let me get this straight: since we went 3-1-1 against read option offenses this year we should automatically assume that the results will be the same next year? Even though we won 31-28, RGIII killed us by rushing 11 times for 82 yards and two touchdowns. In the first Rams/Hawks game, Russell Wilson (in only his 4th start) played miserably yet still had a chance to win the game at the end; not to mention, he's nowhere near the same player now then he was back in September. Both our games against San Fran went into overtime and could have easily been losses (especially if Akers doesn't miss all those FG's). Also, Kaepernick only played half of the first game due to Alex Smith getting a concussion, but he still had 66 yard rushing and a TD. In the second Rams/Niners game, Kap rushed for 84 yards on only 9 carries. In the last game of the year against us, R Wilson drove the Rams nuts with his running ability (rushing for 58 yards and a TD) and also had a really productive day passing the ball (15 for 19, 250 yards and a TD, Passer Rating of 136). I'm not saying that the Rams should completely scrap our base defense and focus only on defending the pistol, but adding some speed and athleticism in the linebacker and safety spots couldn't hurt. One last thing, rumors say that Arizona might be interested in Tim Tebow, which would only add to the Rams yet-to-be-named DC's headaches.
    Last edited by Vinnie25; -01-15-2013 at 05:07 AM.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

At worst Dahl and whoevery our slb was will be replaced this year and im pretty sure they will be fast and athletic. Plus this past season he played an pistol offense 5 times i believe. (Rg3, kaep, wilson). We will be ok, no worries.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    So let me get this straight: since we went 3-1-1 against read option offenses this year we should automatically assume that the results will be the same next year? Even though we won 31-28, RGIII killed us by rushing 11 times for 82 yards and two touchdowns. In the first Rams/Hawks game, Russell Wilson (in only his 4th start) played miserably yet still had a chance to win the game at the end; not to mention, he's nowhere near the same player now then he was back in September. Both our games against San Fran went into overtime and could have easily been losses (especially if Akers doesn't miss all those FG's). Also, Kaepernick only played half of the first game due to Alex Smith getting a concussion, but he still had 66 yard rushing and a TD. In the second Rams/Niners game, Kap rushed for 84 yards on only 9 carries. In the last game of the year against us, R Wilson drove the Rams nuts with his running ability (rushing for 58 yards and a TD) and also had a really productive day passing the ball (15 for 19, 250 yards and a TD, Passer Rating of 136). I'm not saying that the Rams should completely scrap our base defense and focus only on defending the pistol, but adding some speed and athleticism in the linebacker and safety spots couldn't hurt. One last thing, rumors say that Arizona might be interested in Tim Tebow, which would only add to the Rams yet-to-be-named DC's headaches.
    I know what you're getting at, but really i think the coaches would scheme accordingly, they did it last year and it did work, they won the game. I think the question at hand is that they do need an upgrade at safety and linebacker. I firmly believe that a combo of mikell, a healthy stewart and dahl could get the job done, but adding more talent will only increase their chances of making plays and stopping other players making plays.

There is no need to draft players specifically for defending the read option qbs, just keep adding talent and scheme with the players you have accordingly.

Its like playing against someone like Peterson, you know hes going to get the yards, the key is stopping him from getting points. If they contain these read option qbs enough they give themselves a chance to win
    THOLTFAN81 and Vinnie25 like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Here are the numbers:

In 5 games against RGIII, Wilson and Kaepernick, the Rams gave up an average of 18.2 points per game, and the opposing QBs passed for 187/game with a passer rating of 83.2. The QBs also averaged 60.8 yards/game rushing, with a 6.8 ypc average.

So, yes... the Rams did a good job against these QBs/offenses this year.

Certainly, that does not guarantee future success, but I think it is important to look at what worked, and what can be improved.

My theory is that, as an general rule, the 4-3 defense is better suited to deal with the run/option offense than the 3-4. This is particularly true if the 3-4 defense also plays man-to-man on the receivers. The reason is that, in a 3-4, the OLBs job is to speed rush the passer. If that works, great. If not, though, there are only 2 LBs (1 if a nickel CB is being used) to guard the middle of the field. With the DBs playing man-to-man, if the QB can get past the edge rushers, its almost a guaranteed 10-15 yard gain, if not more.

With a 4-3 (particularly one like the Rams have, which is able to pressure the QB with the front 4), there are 2-3 LBs on the field to help "spy" the QB and minimize the running threat.

So, assuming that the Rams' D is well-suited from a scheme standpoint to deal with the running QBs... how can it get better. Well... not to sound like a broken record, but (1) another OLB with range, and (2) an upgrade at the safety position seems like the answer.

One thing is certain. With 4 games per year against Wilson and Kaepernick, no team (other than Arizona) will be more practiced at dealing with this style of offense than the Rams.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

This thread should have been "how should the rams defend the spread offense". I think i recall New England and Green BAY Putting a whoooopppping on us.
    Rambunctious likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think our staff and players did a great job facing it. If you look at the net yardage of each game there really is no big discrepancy.

I don't care if a QB has 200 yards passing with 1 TD pass and 85 yards rushing with 2 TD. When our QB has 300 yards and 3 TD passes. Or if we have 250 yards passing 1 TD and our RB has 2 TD and 80 yards rushing.

The option has created issued for some teams to defend as it new. But for the most part I did not see teams run up crazy offensive numbers throughout the year. They produce the same total yards but from a different source or another option the QB.

Rams vs Skins, RG3 did not kill us... here is the box score.

Rams Team Stats
    Total Net Yards 452
    Penalties Yards 7-60
    Time of Possession 31:24
    Total Turnovers 3

Opponent Team Stats
    Total Net Yards 373
    Penalties Yards 11-96
    Time of Possession 28:36
    Total Turnovers 1
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

Chrome_CW is offline Registered User

Hey guys, just lurking on your forums as always and wanted to pipe in for a moment to point out that the Hawks actually didn't start exploring the Read Option until AFTER the first game against the Rams (While we were 2-2, we hadn't yet thrown for over 160 yards passing and had failed to score more than 20 points in all but one game). Pete saw the success that Washington was having with some Zone Read plays and wanted to see how we could implement it.

Having said that, I think the general thought process for stopping it follows along the lines of what you guys are talking about here. All I can say is, whatever you do, DON'T try to do whatever it was Green Bay was doing last weekend to try and stop it.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome_CW View Post
    Hey guys, just lurking on your forums as always and wanted to pipe in for a moment to point out that the Hawks actually didn't start exploring the Read Option until AFTER the first game against the Rams (While we were 2-2, we hadn't yet thrown for over 160 yards passing and had failed to score more than 20 points in all but one game). Pete saw the success that Washington was having with some Zone Read plays and wanted to see how we could implement it.

Having said that, I think the general thought process for stopping it follows along the lines of what you guys are talking about here. All I can say is, whatever you do, DON'T try to do whatever it was Green Bay was doing last weekend to try and stop it.
    thanks for coming and sharing your insight man!!! I like to visit Seahawks forums frequently to see whats going on with them.

I think GB's problem was that they didn't watch enough NFC West divisional games on tape. Although the Rams lost against the Seahwaks in week 17, we didnt get blown out and it came down to the end, something the Packers probably would of wished for right now.

Rams get at the QB and cre3ate pressure, something thats big in stopping not only pocket passer's, but also mobile ones like RW.

Seriously dont see how the packers defense did so bad, its like game tape didn't exist for them.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    This thread should have been "how should the rams defend the spread offense". I think i recall New England and Green BAY Putting a whoooopppping on us.
    Agreed, Jeff Fisher should take notes from Tom Coughlin's playbook since they have the kryptonite for those types of offenses.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Any time you face a running QB the basic strategy has to be keep containment and make him beat you from the pocket. Rush 4 and collapse the pocket without giving an area for the QB to slip out and run. Keep everything else in front of you and tackle soundly. It's all about discipline.
    Rammed likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Lol true, Rams definitely need to improve in that aspect. One good thing going for them is they have the ability to create pressure using just their front four. All we need now is a better safety (Dahl sucks!!!) and some more athletic OLB's

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I think our staff and players did a great job facing it. If you look at the net yardage of each game there really is no big discrepancy.

I don't care if a QB has 200 yards passing with 1 TD pass and 85 yards rushing with 2 TD. When our QB has 300 yards and 3 TD passes. Or if we have 250 yards passing 1 TD and our RB has 2 TD and 80 yards rushing.

The option has created issued for some teams to defend as it new. But for the most part I did not see teams run up crazy offensive numbers throughout the year. They produce the same total yards but from a different source or another option the QB.

Rams vs Skins, RG3 did not kill us... here is the box score.

Rams Team Stats
    Total Net Yards 452
    Penalties Yards 7-60
    Time of Possession 31:24
    Total Turnovers 3

Opponent Team Stats
    Total Net Yards 373
    Penalties Yards 11-96
    Time of Possession 28:36
    Total Turnovers 1
    It appeared to me, at least looking at how the Rams scored their touchdowns in the games that they won, that the defense and some trick plays (e.g. pick 6s; recovered fumbles; fake punts and field goals) were at least and maybe more responsible than the totoal net yards, rushing or passing TDs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast