Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: How should the Rams defend the pistol/read option offense?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: How should the Rams defend the pistol/read option offense?

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    It appeared to me, at least looking at how the Rams scored their touchdowns in the games that they won, that the defense and some trick plays (e.g. pick 6s; recovered fumbles; fake punts and field goals) were at least and maybe more responsible than the totoal net yards, rushing or passing TDs.
    But back to the question of the thread. How should the Rams defend the pistol/read option offense? The way I went about answering the question was to show that the teams we played did not out produce us like the game the Packers played against the 9ers. I said we are playing it well, you stated we have scored points on fumbles and picks 6s so we are seeing the same thing we are playing it well.

Total net yards are the results of the game. If they where plus 150 -200 yards per game then I would say we need to work on it. But they are not.

To your point if we can beat a team with fake FG and pick 6s then the offense we are facing must be struggling against us right? Seattle only put up 13 points in the first game and 20 in the second.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-16-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Even though I believe the read option/pistol offenses are just a fad (eventually teams are going to figure out how to defend it just like they did the Wildcat), we should look into improving our roster to better defend it next year; let's face it, Kaepernick and Russell Wilson are going to be in the NFC West for many more years to come. I think the best way for the Rams to stop the Wilsons, Kaepernicks, and RGIII's of the world is for them to use their extra lineman (in the 4-3) to their advantage. If the DT's hold their ground on the inside, the DE's could push further into the backfield, forcing the QB to either handoff to the RB or cut inside to run it himself. With some patient OLB's (hopefully we could get one or two in the draft or through FA) playing in the holes vacated by the DE's, the QB has less room to run and shouldn't be able to break off for long gains like they're accustomed too. With Laurinaitis guarding against the inside run, we should be better prepared than most teams in guarding against it. Hopefully the Rams could get a run-stopping stud safety in the draft, then our defense would definitely be scary good. What do you guys think?
    IMHO, the best defense is a good offense, which to me translates into either the Rams get the weapons they need, including, but not limited to, a mobile QB (Whiners and Hags also have great RBs; O-Lines; and WRs) with a rocket arm to throw the long ball or take their chances that their defense can stop teams including but not limited to the Seahags and Whiners from putting up points on em.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    IMHO, the best defense is a good offense, which to me translates into either the Rams get the weapons they need, including, but not limited to, a mobile QB (Whiners and Hags also have great RBs; O-Lines; and WRs) with a rocket arm to throw the long ball or take their chances that their defense can stop teams including but not limited to the Seahags and Whiners from putting up points on em.
    Based upon your prior expression of this though, you do realize that most here are not buying what you're selling.

History has disproven the notion that the "best defense is a good offense" in the NFL.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

OK big surprise, the NFL is a copy-cat league...just as surprising a few other teams will go down this same path. But as to the question, its actually a really good question on there surface since it affects how the Rams draft and goes after free agents as well as determining who stays a Ram and who is cut.

How logn as the WEST COAST offense been around now, in its many forums? There must be something to it since its been around some 20years and a lot of teams run it or some hybred of it. Its a real possibility that perhaps the Pistol/Read offense might be around for a while. And as pointed out 49whinners and Seattle run it, teams teh Rams face twice a year. The road to the playoffs goes through the divisional opponents. It could be a boon to the Rams, since 2 opponents in the same division run it and if the Rams scheme and acquire personal against it.

First is the CBs...they have to be good--darn good! Since man-to-man coverage would be key. Second, as what the Packers tried in their game with the 49whinners, they tried using a "spy". Sadly for the Packers, Kaepernick, beat their spy. Part of the scheming would be changing who the Spy is during the course of a game. And thats why I like over load blitzs on one flank or the other and flush the QB to run. Blitz and contain say on the right side and bring the spy (delayed) to the left with only the QB in is sites. But again--it comes down to the CBs....if they can hold their own long enough going man-to-man, that leaves the rest of the defense

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

While most who have commented on this thread have good ideas, I'm with DE Ram fan most of all on this.

I believe the real keys are discipline, containment and sound tackling.

Of course we'll also need someone to replace Dahl at safety and a new starting OLB opposite Dunbar.

RenoFox is offline Registered User

Is this really a worry for the Rams?

With your DL learning to work together and getting better every game, and a full round of OTAs coming up, they're going to be dominant next year. From what I've seen, they are very good at getting pressure AND simultaneously keeping contain (excellent gap discipline!). I think Fisher has already pretty much figured out the zone read / pistol / option hybrid offenses that the Seahawks and ***** are running. The Rams defense already has quite a bit of practice against these offenses and will improve against them every game they play.

As a Seahawks fan, I'm much more worried about the Rams next year than I am the *****. I think both the Seahawks and the Rams already have the ***** number scheme-wise, and they just need to execute a tiny bit better to win more games against them than they lose.

The Rams defense, however, is improving so rapidly they'll be a huge force next year. If Bradford and his receivers can get it going, Rams will be a scary team.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12