Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

How should we look at this loss?

The obvious, knee-jerk answer is that the Rams had a chance to get within 2 points with about 3 1/2 minutes to go, and squandered it due to a freak-play interception on what most would agree was a very bad play call.

That is certainly accurate, but here's what I take from this game overall.

The Rams went toe-to-toe with the arguably the best team in the NFC and just ended up getting beat. The Falcons neutralized the Rams' pass rush, kept their own defense off the field, and wore out the Rams.

To me, the big picture is, give the Rams a top WR like Roddy White, and some more experience for guys like Bradford, Saffold, J.Smith and Hoomanwanui, and the Rams could be as good as Atlanta.

We need to accept that the Rams are only in the playoff race this year because of the weakness of the NFC West. Otherwise, they're not a playoff team... yet.

Did you hear me? YET!!!!!

The Rams are getting much closer, and can be there with one good offseason.

I'm disappointed, but I see a lot of light at the end of the tunnel.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -11-21-2010 at 08:22 PM.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: How should we look at this loss?

I agree.

I am thrilled with where the team is right now. This game, to me, just highlighted our lack of a top notch receiver and depth.

Murphy is showing signs of a quality future but matching the rookie up with one of the top receivers in the league is just not ideal.

I don't mind the play call on the 2... I just wish we would see more of the 2 minute drill through the entire game.

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The obvious, knee-jerk answer is that the Rams had a chance to get within 2 points with about 3 1/2 minutes to go, and squandered it due to a freak-play interception on what most would agree was a very bad play call.

That is certainly accurate, but here's what I take from this game overall.

The Rams went toe-to-toe with the arguably the best team in the NFC and just ended up getting beat. The Falcons neutralized the Rams' pass rush, kept their own defense off the field, and wore out the Rams.

To me, the big picture is, give the Rams a top WR like Roddy White, and some more experience for guys like Bradford, Saffold, J.Smith and Hoomanwanui, and the Rams could be as good as Atlanta.

We need to accept that the Rams are only in the playoff race this year because of the weakness of the NFC West. Otherwise, they're not a playoff team... yet.

Did you hear me? YET!!!!!

I am just stoked that I came back to the Clan Ram today after not being able to see, hear, or follow the game, and not see a huge number of "The Sky Is Falling!" threads and comments. Everyone seems to be seeing the good on the field. The work on the field. The attitude on the field. And the Future on the field.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

The way I viewed the game is that the Rams did not play a bad ball game. We didn't play our very best, but we certainly didn't play poorly. However, what was clear was the difference in talent between the Rams and the Falcons. The Falcons were the better team, and it showed.

We have a ways to go to win games like these. Getting there, but this is still a growing team.

JFMose is offline Registered User

What i gotta say is really simple and very obvious: "Score more, play better defense." And 3rd downs....my goodness, horrible. Don't forget the bad tackles. These are things we can fix during practice.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

This game proved we can stand toe to toe with the best in the NFL and play competitive football. Last year, every game was like the Lions game it seemed. I felt hopeless watching games. At least this year I can develop ulcers with all these close games.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Many, particularly those who didn't watch, will be all over the defense ...

Atlanta did to us what they pretty much do to every defense. They take everything you are willing to give them underneath. Overall, we did a fairly good job of keeping things in front of us. We couldn't get any pass rush, but the defense played well enough to win. We just couldn't find ways to keep the ball moving consistently on offense ....

While Shurmur called a pretty decent game, and the offense looked solid at times, we could not convert 3rd downs until the 4th quarter. And basically, that left our defense extremely exhausted. I saw at least three players leave with cramps ...

Fact is, Atlanta had a game plan, and they executed in the clutch. We simply did not. Despite the final score, we were right there until the end ...

I am very dissapointed, but not discouraged.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Yep, totally agree. Great post Avenger. I really expected to see a lot of sky is falling threads too. So far so good. Although the bad calls are really starting to grate on my nerves. Bradford only made a couple bad throws today. He continues to impress me every week. We're seeing the improvement we wanted to see from a young team, and I'm ok with that.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

The Falcons played almost as good as they could and they Rams kept toe to toe with them until the last three minutes. We missed a couple of plays, but overall we got beat. We are clearly missing some talent that teams like Atlanta have, but we are getting close and I am glad others are seeing it. We are also 1 game out of first place in the division, and getting back a big play receiver we desperately missed today.

I'm looking forward to seeing the team progress this year, but I'm really excited for next year, when the Rams can add some playmakers and take this to the next level.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Good question / thread, AV!

I agree with your assessment as well. As Ramping pointed out, the sky is NOT falling. Much progress has been made. We have a rather young Rams team, rookie star QB, etc. The elements for growth are certainly there and yes, our division is weak so the Rams opportunities to be up there next year are legit.

Sure, disappointed. But very hopeful.
    Last edited by RealRam; -11-22-2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Text

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Atlanta did to us what they pretty much do to every defense. They take everything you are willing to give them underneath. Overall, we did a fairly good job of keeping things in front of us. We couldn't get any pass rush, but the defense played well enough to win. We just couldn't find ways to keep the ball moving consistently on offense ....
    Those underneath throws seems to be how Atlanta moves the chains and keeps possession. The reason we didn't generate pass rush was even on blitzs we left the underneath options open, and Ryan wasn't forced to take sacks because no one was open. The one thing I would change would be coverage on the blitzs. It seemed like the backs gave a 7 yard cushion to the receivers on them, and Ryan would be able to sling one out.

The Falcons play a very good ballgame. It's an excellent strategy and they have the personnel to do it.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Well, at least your not blaming the coaches for the loss! Which seems to be the ugly trend around here after every loss this season. Although we do have at least one Shurmer bashing thread started.

I don't like that shuttle pass call in that situation either. In fact I really don't like that play at all. Listening to Ryan, it sounds as though the Rams had been practicing that play during the week, so at least they did not just pull it out of their arse.

Without pressure on the QB a weak Rams pass defense was exposed today. If the defense is ever going to be considered elite it has to do more than keep things in front. They have to make plays and get off the field.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Many, particularly those who didn't watch, will be all over the defense ...

While Shurmur called a pretty decent game, and the offense looked solid at times, we could not convert 3rd downs until the 4th quarter. And basically, that left our defense extremely exhausted. I saw at least three players leave with cramps ...

Fact is, Atlanta had a game plan, and they executed in the clutch. We simply did not. Despite the final score, we were right there until the end ...

I am very dissapointed, but not discouraged.
    I agree with basically everything you said. The TOP was lopsided in the Falcons' favor - essentially 36 minutes to our 24 minutes. The Rams were a poor 1 for 10 on third down conversions. The defense wasn't stellar out there IMO, but clearly they had little help from the offense and were worn down as the game went on. The offense simply has to find a way to convert drives and stay on the field, especially in the second half.

Falcon_Guy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

There is no question in my mind that the Rams are on the rise. You have an outstanding qb under center. Now you need to give him some real talent and make sure you have a stout defense to help cover as he develops.

If the NFC keeps grabbing the better qb talent it won't be long before we are no longer seen as the weaker conference. If Bradford stays on track and healthy it won't be long before people start using the "elite" word in the same sentence as his name.

macrammer is online now Registered User

Avenger,

good post and my feelings exactly. to take it one step further, we are NOT a Playoff team THIS year and could end up with a 6-10 (or worse??) record. That however, is not a disaster. I see many bright spots for years to come and certainly expect much more playoff caliber football NEXT year. We are going in right direction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast