Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Re: How should we look at this loss?

I also see light at the end of the tunnel, but it is frustrating to be so close, yet so far away. That being so stated, chin up and on to Denver!

"The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

this is how i view this team; not as a great team that is underachieving, but as a rebuilding team that is overachieving.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    this is how i view this team; not as a great team that is underachieving, but as a rebuilding team that is overachieving.
    Could it be they are playing exactly at their talent level? Capable of not getting destroyed by a Superbowl contender like the Falcons, but not capable of winning against them just yet?

I'm not sure they have over-achieved, they just hit an opponent today that was just plain better than them.

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

We still have a young team, still plenty of room for improvement, expect to see more mistakes, it will take some time.

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

I like the progress we have made in such a short period of time, think about it, no real studs at receivers, a rookie QB and we still have 4 wins under our belt, which is more than I can say the last couple of years. I can't complain.

punahou is offline Registered User

For me, the prevalent aspect of this Ram Incarnation is that they are a 1st half team. The Rams seem to either lose focus, become over confident, do not make half time adjsutments, etc.... very well.

They have to learn how to close-- but I feel that it isnt necessarily the team as much as it is the coaching.

Im not going to hide my chagrin with Spagnuolo and his staff, as I still feel- despite whatever is happening this season, that this staff is largely incompetant in playcalling and game management.

I also still feel, yet again, despite the decent year Sam is putting in, that the SuH/CMCoy duo may have yielded us better results this year and in the long run.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Could it be they are playing exactly at their talent level? Capable of not getting destroyed by a Superbowl contender like the Falcons, but not capable of winning against them just yet?

I'm not sure they have over-achieved, they just hit an opponent today that was just plain better than them.
    tough one to reply to. better scenario is what you say, but in all sincerity i believe we are over achieving because the talent level we are lacking the other parts are making up. (if that makes sense) bright spot we didn't give up a sack, but we didn't get one either. this cup is half full, not half empty.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

I do like where this roster is at and where it can potentially go with another offseason.

I am not sure the current coaching staff can take the Rams to the promised land, though. There appear to be fundamental problems in our approach to gameday strategy that are not giving this team the best opportunity to win. Also, the recurrent tiny execution mistakes are more than slightly vexing, as is the amount of penalties.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

AvengerRam, my sentiments exactly; though I, for one, have always been a fan of the shovel pass.

It is usually a high reward and low risk play-well maybe not in today's game.

Well do I remember Marshall Faulk, as well as others, frequently using it to bedevil defenses.

WHAT SAY YE?

PARamfan is offline Registered User

I think it is a situation where it might be better for this team to Not make the playoffs as it will give us a better pick and add to the hunger then that will build on the core group of this team.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I think we played well against a very good team and were competitive.

I am getting frustrated with the pass-heavy approach however and would point to this game as another example where we could have and should have made more effort to run the ball with Jackson, particularly on first down.

There have been times this season and I'd suggest there were today, where we get away from ourselves on offense.

The shovel/shuttle pass isn't something I have huge philosophical objections about but I'd like to have seen us try something more direct in that situation.

molar_pistol Guest

i would have liked to see us win a close one here but the falcons were easily the better team. we couldn't get any pressure on ryan and their passing game is too good with the time he had to throw. on o we showed flashes but didn't get the run game going and need better talent at wr. i don't know why we don't attack the middle of the field with hoomanawanui more often.

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Today the Rams were simply beaten by a better team who executed their game-plan to a tee and did not turn the ball over. Virtually impossible to beat a better team under those circumstances. That said, we were right there until the ill-advised shuffle pass on the goal line.

All in all, a good learning experience for the entire team including coaches. But the good news is, Seattle, Arizona and SF also lost.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I'm getting a little annoyed at those that say that the shovel pass was a "bad play call". They're all bad play calls when they don't go well. That was not on the coaching staff or the play calling, that was on the kid. He made a mistake, plain and simple. That play rarely gets intercepted, and was a good play call. However, the kid shoveled the ball when the play clearly was not there. He's a rookie and he'll make mistakes like that, and I'm okay with it. But I will not say it was a bad play call. It was horrible execution.

This team is better, but clearly not there yet. Our offensive line got pushed around at times today way too easy, and Jackson is back to dancing instead of hitting the line with momentum. Our DB's are really hard to watch at times. How many INT's have they dropped this year? Even Atogwe has had few great moments this year and has been average at best. For whatever reason, the Rams are getting killed over the middle with short passes that turn into 15-20 yard gains. No pressure on the QB today even when they blitzed, and when they did blitz, you just knew it was going to be a completion. The only reason the Rams are even remotely contending for the division is because the NFC West is the NFC worst. ...and the Rams are 1-2 against the NFC worst. Not good.

Yes, the Rams are better. NO, the sky is not falling. But the Rams are still more than a couple of players away from being a real contender. Today I thought they played hard and gave the Falcons all they wanted, but just didn't have enough to get it done.

One more year with a good draft and a couple FA moves and they'll be a .500 team or slightly better. But it will take another two years and all the right moves to get this team to the top-tier. But at least now I can watch them without covering my eyes in horror and disgust.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

dgr828 is offline Registered User

We should be Pissed after every loss! especially the one where we're up early and lose late.
    Arizona, Oakland, Tampa, Frisco, ATL....Detroit we just didn't show up. In almost all of these losses, the Rams come out to take an early lead and then most of the time, after the half, the Rams offense goes into a lull (mostly 3 & outs), which puts the pressure on a tired defense to try and hold down the opposition, whose's obviously made their halftime adjustments. Sam was cruisin' today early, hitting Hooman and Gibby for TDs. Where did it go in the 2nd half?
    They kept showing on TV, the Falcons sidelines, with shots of Matt Ryan huddled with his Backups going over the playbook, along with shots of Sam Wyche (ATL OC) in the Booth pouring over the playbook. The announcers kept stressing the point of the Ball Contol the Falcon seem to have mastered. Sam and the Rams could take a page from the Falcon Playbook! We should look at this loss, as well as the others, knowing that the lack of ball control, especially late in ballgames, must be corrected. Pissed, But Stay Hungry!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast