Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How Tavon Austin can be like Marshall Faulk

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

How Tavon Austin can be like Marshall Faulk

Don't worry, I'm not going to put too much pressure on young Tavon.

I'm not going to project, or even suggest, that he'll be an MVP candidate as a rookie.

That said, I do think he can immediately be one of the league's MVDs (Most Valuable Decoys).

He is truly a wild card due to his ability to (1) line up in numerous different positions on the offense, and (2) make big plays in the open field. Add to that the fact that he's short enough to "hide" behind the O line, and he creates a fear element in opposing defenses. I expect we'll hear a lot this year about teams assigning a "spy" to keep an eye on him.

These qualities give Tavon the ability to make an impact, even when he is not getting the ball.

He will have the ability to pull LBs, CBs and safeties out of the path of ballcarriers, or to the opposite side of the field from primary targets on passing plays. Opposing teams will have to pick their poison, or risk letting Tavon get one-on-one opportunities in the open field.

The last player we had who could do this was Marshall Faulk. As great as Bruce, Holt, Hakim and Proehl were, they owe a portion of their success during the GSOT years to Marshall, who was always drawing attention.

MVD plays may not show up on the stat sheet, but they can be a key to this offense.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: How Tavon Austin can be like Marshall Faulk

The sad reality of 2010 through 2012 is that defenses put bump coverage on our outside WRs without deep safety help and the Rams couldn't take advantage of it often enough to change the defensive strategy. Seeing 8 (or even 9) men in the box and you can't take advantage of it is crippling. That's not going to be the case with both Austin and Givens. If the Rams see 8 men in the box this year, we'll see a lot of 5 yard out routes turn into YAC heaven.

richtree is offline Registered User

You're better than that.....Chill out.....

Why even write something like this....?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Don't worry, I'm not going to put too much pressure on young Tavon.

I'm not going to project, or even suggest, that he'll be an MVP candidate as a rookie.

That said, I do think he can immediately be one of the league's MVDs (Most Valuable Decoys).

He is truly a wild card due to his ability to (1) line up in numerous different positions on the offense, and (2) make big plays in the open field. Add to that the fact that he's short enough to "hide" behind the O line, and he creates a fear element in opposing defenses. I expect we'll hear a lot this year about teams assigning a "spy" to keep an eye on him.

These qualities give Tavon the ability to make an impact, even when he is not getting the ball.

He will have the ability to pull LBs, CBs and safeties out of the path of ballcarriers, or to the opposite side of the field from primary targets on passing plays. Opposing teams will have to pick their poison, or risk letting Tavon get one-on-one opportunities in the open field.

The last player we had who could do this was Marshall Faulk. As great as Bruce, Holt, Hakim and Proehl were, they owe a portion of their success during the GSOT years to Marshall, who was always drawing attention.

MVD plays may not show up on the stat sheet, but they can be a key to this offense.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Having players that defenses have to be accountable for and even shift coverage and responsibilities towards can really open things up for other members of an offense. As you've pointed out, it's been a while since the Rams have had one of these types of players, and I'm excited for what it means for this team going forward.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is online now Registered User

I agree with Av, when it comes TA and having to account for him on every play. Add Cook on the field at the same time and you have a real problem to solve if you are a defensive coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    You're better than that.....Chill out.....

Why even write something like this....?
    I don't mind if you disagree with me, but it would be more interesting if you explained why you think I'm wrong.

Rambos is online now Registered User

"The thing we did with Marshall is we used him in every way imaginable," said Warner, who plans to be in Canton, Ohio, on Saturday for Faulk's induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. "It was both to benefit Marshall because of his skill but also to benefit everyone else. The idea was to always move Marshall around and put him in different spots where defenses had to adjust to it. Our whole design with Marshall was to create mismatches."

Again this is not far fetched at all to link how Marshal was used to what Austin can do for us now.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

he creates a fear element in opposing defenses. I expect we'll hear a lot this year about teams assigning a "spy" to keep an eye on him.
    When Johnny Hekker got turned inside out by Tavon during practice, Johnny faked a hamstring injury - humorous at the time. Nevertheless, it was a harbinger of things to come. No NFL player likes to look the fool - Tavon has the potential to make even the best defenders look foolish. There should be no shortage of highlight reels involving Tavon this year, along with the antics of defenders looking silly trying to catch him. Given his unique ability to accelerate from 0 to 60, stop on a dime, and do it again in the blink of an eye, there will be times defenders are falling all over themselves trying to tackle him. Hence the "fear" factor. We haven't had a player like that since Marshall. Steven Jackson was respected, but I don't think defenders were afraid of him.

Tavon will be able to get inside players heads - DCs too. The key to winning more games than we lose this year IMO will be to spread the ball around consistently. With Cookie, Tavon, Givens, Austin, Quick Lance K.(when he returns), not to mention our shifty rbs, it should be the dawn of a new age for the Rams and us fans. We are surrounded by Kool-aid stands this year, try as I might, it's hard not too sneak a big gulp or two given all our upgrades on both sides of the ball.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I don't mind if you disagree with me, but it would be more interesting if you explained why you think I'm wrong.
    Because he doesn't understand the point your trying to make. He most likely thinks your comparing Austin and Faulk in a statistical manner...

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    No NFL player likes to look the fool - Tavon has the potential to make even the best defenders look foolish. There should be no shortage of highlight reels involving Tavon this year, along with the antics of defenders looking silly trying to catch him.
    If a 2013 Tavon Austin highlight video using the Benny Hill theme as the background music as he makes defenders miss left and right does not surface in six months, an opportunity will have been missed.
    MauiRam, THOLTFAN81 and TekeRam like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

R.Gabriel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If a 2013 Tavon Austin highlight video using the Benny Hill theme as the background music as he makes defenders miss left and right does not surface in six months, an opportunity will have been missed.
    Love it!!!.....I would pay for that.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Its T. Austin's quickness that makes me smile and think of all the possibility. Am sure as a "conventional" slot WR T.A. would excel at it. Working in tandem with Cook when I think about it brings on a huge grin. Having those two alone, should loosen the back filed for the other WR. Now if "reputation" and "fear" among opposing defenses is the question, I hope the Rams RBs become Sjax 2.0s. Having a power RB (Pistol or not formation) further thins and limits what defenses want to do

thoey is offline Registered User

Wonder if they have practiced a Hook and Ladder play between Cookie and TA...

Imagine seeing Cook take a pass on a medium post, and TA take the pitch on a slant underneath him for the TD...

sosa39rams and Randart like this.
    This space for rent...

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post

Imagine seeing Cook take a pass on a medium post, and TA take the pitch on a slant underneath him for the TD...

So hard to pull off, but I used to run this play in madden! If you get the toss off its an easy TD for a fast player.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post

If someone spots Don Strock, Duriel Harris and Tony Nathan at practice, you'll know they're working on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast