Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How are we gonna survive with this Cornerback group?

RuffRams is offline Registered User

How are we gonna survive with this Cornerback group?

With the teams we have to play and the fact that the whole league is a passing league. If Bartell is out for the season, I don't think we can trust this group.

I see everybody talking about getting a new WR. I know Amendola is injured, Jackson is injured. However, without Bartell do you really really trust this secondary? I think we might need to step up and somehow acquire a cornerback via trade?????

I don't see anybody talking about this but I do NOT at all trust a Fletcher/King starting CB tandem. I was willing to allow Fletcher be second since we had Bartell.

What do you guys think???

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: How are we gonna survive with this Cornerback group?

I think the Rams will need to pressure opposing QBs.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Fletcher is a very decent CB. the only thing Bartell had over him is that Bartell seemed to be better facing the real big Wideouts. when we face the big ones this season i think Al Harris will line up against them.

i`m sure we gonna be bringing in some help at CB atleast one..maybe even trade for one. although it will take a couple of weeks to get up to speed with the playbook...maybe a former CB under Spags would be ideal if a good enough one can be brought in.

And of course bringing more heat on the QB will help too.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -09-14-2011 at 10:10 AM.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Well, I don't know how the rest of you will survive this, but me...

I'm going to trust in the front office, the coaching staff, and the players. No, we don't have the 2011 Edition of the GSOT, but we do have a team that was 1-15 just two years ago. Since that time, we have gotten rid of some dead weight, added some talent and skills in a lot of places, hired new coaching staff, and gotten back the attitude that we CAN win.

Will it be tough? Yes - but if I could ask Sam Bradford one question, it would be this:

"Sam, after all of the injuries in the season opener, what's going to happen now?"

His answer would be something like this:

"We are not changing anything - we are still playing to win, and make the Lombardi trophy ours!"
    sakl18 likes this.

Avy answered my question, thank you. LOL

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

As far as options for new CBs go, the Dolphins just released Benny Sapp, their nickel back. While he was beat on the Welker 99 yard TD on MNF, his release is regarded by many as more of a "send a message"/scapegoat move than an indication that he can't play. I'd have him on the next plane to STL for a look-see.
    TekeRam likes this.

Yeah I think he was also targeted on a Deion Branch TD?? And it seemed towards the end Brady was always throwing it his way. Its a worth a try though I think. I know people are impartial/like Fletcher. But I do not trust him at all. Justin King has upside but he seemed a little lost Sunday. We do need to get more pressure, no question about it. However, we still need to be able to cover.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Football outsiders rated Fletcher as a very good quality starter last year while Bartell was actually their number 5 guy(Nnamdi wasn't thrown at enough to get rated). No matter what, Bartell going out is going to hurt.

We need to bring in some bodies, and we're just going to have to blitz more, unfortunately. We go from a team who can get pressure with 4 to a team that needs to pressure with 5 because our backend is now lacking. It sucks, but it happens.

We will rally around Justin King and we will play good football!
    I believe!

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Let's just be very thankful were in the NFC West? I think this week is important as its a realistic game to win for the Rams.? Thankfully, Spags has worked hard in filling the middle of the roster, so I do not think the drop off will be too severe.? Hopefully!!
    King was noticeable again by getting beat a few times, but does flash sometimes as well.? Its unfortunate we dont have a DRC in reserve, but how many teams have that luxury.
    GO RAMS

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As far as options for new CBs go, the Dolphins just released Benny Sapp, their nickel back. While he was beat on the Welker 99 yard TD on MNF, his release is regarded by many as more of a "send a message"/scapegoat move than an indication that he can't play. I'd have him on the next plane to STL for a look-see.
    I think he would be a good pickup, the fins feel the need to fire someone after the lose to the pats and just pick out the most convenient scape goat.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Watching the game a second time really changed my perspective about the defensive performance. Those were pretty sad numbers for Vick as a passer & would have been worse if The Rams hadn't kept trying that 3 man rush baloney. No one but Vick would have survived that kind of pressure,imo.

It'll be harder to replicate without Ron & vs better O-lines & I'm sure DeSpags will at least add depth but I totally agree with AV;The Rams are going to have to hang their hat on pressure, not only from the DL but just smacking guys in the mouth at the LOS. The price you pay are those 5 yard penalties occasionally but I'll take that over the backbreaking PI flags way down field.Some quick maturation by Stewart at safety would be peachy as well since Dahl looks like he's always going to struggle in coverage.

With pressure in mind, I'm more worried about Robbins' lack of impact. Hopefully it was just a game fitness thing.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Blitz look and a 3 man rush? Did Spags have sidebar to help out Reid? Jackson ripps off and huge TD right off the bat! We got hammered and lost some guys but we could have won that game for sure. Game plan on D was all wrong . We need this Defense to come to the rescue and carry this team till we can revamp the offense. The corners need long and (play) QUinn to get the pressure.!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Looks like maybe Hakeem Nicks won't play. So maybe an easier load for our first game without Bartell

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Guess I don't get the question, but I think we'll be fine barring additional injuries. I don't see the value in going and adding a veteran corner.

Fletcher is going to play I would think. Al Harris can still go, I have no doubt. And we need to see King on the outside. Matter of fact, I am interested to see how he performs at his natural slot.

They moved in Tim Atchison from the P.S. He had some good moments in the preseason. Let's see how he does in the dime role.

These growing pains are all a part of developing a young talent base. If we get on a roll, and playoffs start looking like a real possibility, then I could see us adding a veteran corner.
    ZiaRam likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    They moved in Tim Atchison from the P.S. He had some good moments in the preseason. Let's see how he does in the dime role.
    Nice I love that guy... thinking he can play a good nickel and some darn good run support like he did in pre-season.

Anyone else confim that Nicks won't play? That would be a great day if he wasn't on the field Monday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast